Need advice on GS F sport vs RX F sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 07:40 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on GS F sport vs RX F sport

Hi All,

looking for advice from the GS community. I currently have a 2013 RX F sport (purchased new). There are tons of things I like about the car (build quality, ride quality on smooth roads, ergonimcs of the cabin), and a couple that I really don't like that are really starting to grate on my nerves. The main issue is the throttle lag, and the choice of gears when slowing down to make turns. This is a well known problem in the RX in general...basically the car stays in too high a gear for the speed, so when you attempt to accelerate, there is a tremendous lag while the tranny downshifts. A couple of times it has become a safety issue- I was recently rear-ended because of this acceleration lag. The guy behind me was totally at fault for following too closely, but it is still a big issue.

The other is the suspension. On smooth roads, the ride quality is great- very little transmission of road harshness and vibrations. Actually better than any other car I have owned. But on any other roads, it is a very rough ride, so much so that I am contemplating aftermarket, lighter wheels and better tires in hopes that it will help the issue (i have the OEM michelins on there at 31psi (cold)).

When I went to the dealer to have the throttle lag checked, I sat in a new GS. I was surprised that the interior cabin specs are VERY close to that of the RX. You lose 1 inch of head room up front, 1 inch of leg room up front, and the GS is 1 inch narrower overall. But other than that, they are virtually identical. Yes, you lose quite a bit a cargo room, but our other car is a 2014 MDX, and 90% of the time it's just me in the car.

I am interested in the GS F sport for both aesthetics as well as some of the tech....I really like the adjustable suspension. No one in the greater Denver area has any F sports that I can drive, but I wanted to know if anyone has driven both the RX F sport and GS F sport and can comare the ride quality of the two. From the reviews I have read it seems the ride quality of GS in normal mode is very comfortable and luxurious no matter the road quality, but in sport mode it is more like the RX F sport's firm stock suspension. The option to have both is exactly what I want. So right now I am trying to figure out if it is right time to jump out of my RX. Other folks on the RX forum have gone so far as to swap out the RX F sport shocks for non-F sport ones to improve the ride. I feel like if I am at that point, then it's time to get rid of the RX and get something that I like better. I was hoping to keep my RX for at least 6 years, but at this point I don't see myself being able to cope longer than another 6 months. If I go the GS route I will probably go CPO, since there are a lots out there.

Thanks!

Last edited by viperdoc; 02-10-15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 10:30 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll find a lot of people here love their GS, but if throttle lag is one of your biggest concerns, you may want to consider a different manufacturer (or at the very least make sure you drive one first). Several folks here have griped about gear searching and lag. Personally, I think they're being built that way by design, unfortunately.

Nonetheless, I love the car and while no car is perfect, this one is hard to beat as a total package.
Old 02-10-15, 10:48 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The throttle lag you are describing where the car stays is too high of a gear for the speed doesn't happen in the GS. Click it to Sport or Sport+ mode and the car keeps the revs high and the gear changes are quick.
Old 02-10-15, 10:50 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Yeah, I do still need to drive one. I found out a local dealer has one F sport to test drive. So, I will see how it goes.

I just notice that by and large, virtually every review of the GS F sport that I can find is very positive. Whereas most reviews of the RX F sport are not. And the two major gripes about the RX F sport are the suspension and the mapping of the transmission/ acceleration lag. Keep in mind that I am not trying to drive it like a sports car.... which it is not. I just wished that the acceleration following a turn or rolling stop was more linear.
Old 02-10-15, 10:58 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't know how well the paddle shifters or manual shifters work on the RX but in the GS they work quite well. Sometimes when in Eco or normal mode I sense the car is in too high of a gear I downshift a gear or two using the paddles. The shift is almost instant.
Old 02-10-15, 12:19 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

You're right....they do actually work quite well. I guess I am most bothered by the fact that using them seems necessary on a regular basis to get the car to accelerate smoothly.
Old 02-10-15, 02:59 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO the GS F Sport RWD (wider tires in the rear, lower ride height and 8 speed tran) rides about like the RX F Sport minus some of the jitters at low speeds. It's still a bumpy ride. The 8 speed does a pretty good job but can be slow to downshift. In Sport+ the ride is hella more firm than the RX F Sport.
Old 02-11-15, 08:54 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sick21
IMO the GS F Sport RWD (wider tires in the rear, lower ride height and 8 speed tran) rides about like the RX F Sport minus some of the jitters at low speeds. It's still a bumpy ride. The 8 speed does a pretty good job but can be slow to downshift. In Sport+ the ride is hella more firm than the RX F Sport.
Thanks for the info. I am headed out to test drive one now, so I will let everyone know what I think (in the event that anyone is interested!)
Old 02-11-15, 09:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Let us know how the test drive goes. I'm also interested in the differences between the RX 8 speed and the GS 8 speed.
Old 02-11-15, 01:45 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sick21
The test drive went very well....love the car. I agree with Sick21 that the suspension behaves like the RX F sport. But I found the GS's suspension to be a tad more forgiving than the RX's when in normal mode, particularly at slow speeds. In sport + mode, Sick 21 is correct.

I did feel a little acceleration lag when in normal mode, but really none when in sport/sport+. The transmission sensitivity is better than in the RX.....but then again these are two completely different cars. Overall i love it though. THe only drawback for me getting out of the RX is that the rear seats in the GS don't fold down, so ferrying the dog places means he would have to sit upright in the rear seat. Other than that I think it would work. THe rear seats are plenty comfortable and big enough for my three, young kids.

My dealer is trying to sell me on a one-payment lease (hadn't heard of that before), where you pay the full amount up front. For a 3 year lease for 12K miles monthly payment would work out to only $482/month (MSRP is $57K, cap cost at $53900, drive off of $1700).

My tester was an AWD, so I believe it has a 6 speed tranny vs the 8 speed you get in the RWD version. So unfortunately I can't really compare the two. But I found the transmission to be a perfect match for the engine. For the RX, I will say that I really like the gearing when you drive it a bit on the aggressive side. From a standstill, the first three gears really make the RX feel like it is faster than it really is.

Will have to think on this one. Worst part for me is that I would lose a bit of money on extras added to my RX- full front clear bra, roof rack, window tint, trailer hitch....Roughly $3K.

Thanks for all the advice and insights, though.
Old 02-11-15, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Good summary. Thanks for the report back.

I am interested because, though I plan on keeping my RX, I am considering swapping my IS out for a GS, though I would like to wait and see what the 2016 GS refresh entails.

FWIW, I have the 6 speed in my IS (same as GS) and it's a great transmission.
Old 02-11-15, 03:20 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you liked it, I've heard the 6 speed auto is more responsive than the 8 speed, so it may be a better fit for you. Additionally, I would avoid a one-time lease payment. Lexus has gap coverage for all it's leases, so if something were to happen, they are covered - but if you've already paid up, I think you're out of luck.. This is my understanding anyway.
Old 02-11-15, 03:48 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'm glad you liked it, I've heard the 6 speed auto is more responsive than the 8 speed, so it may be a better fit for you. Additionally, I would avoid a one-time lease payment. Lexus has gap coverage for all it's leases, so if something were to happen, they are covered - but if you've already paid up, I think you're out of luck.. This is my understanding anyway.
That's a great point. Hadn't thought of that. They were really pushing it on me, even though I hadn't even said I wanted the car yet. I figured there was some reason that they were so gung ho.
Old 02-11-15, 04:11 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I never considered the RX in my search for a new vehicle, but I looked at so many different cars, the one I always came back to was the GS F AWD. I work in Denver and visited Kuni and Stevinson. I did every calculation for each lease and mileage and also a purchase. With the way these cars are holding their value, I decided to buy and not lease. I ended up purchasing mine at Larry Miller in Salt Lake City. They gave me an incredible deal and included clear bra and tint. You cannot go wrong with the GS. The car meets all of my demands, besides the mark Levinson subwoofers have been a disappointment for me. Make sure and get the illuminated door sills. They just look awesome. Don't pay more than 54k for a fully loaded one.
Old 02-12-15, 08:12 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stoked
I never considered the RX in my search for a new vehicle, but I looked at so many different cars, the one I always came back to was the GS F AWD. I work in Denver and visited Kuni and Stevinson. I did every calculation for each lease and mileage and also a purchase. With the way these cars are holding their value, I decided to buy and not lease. I ended up purchasing mine at Larry Miller in Salt Lake City. They gave me an incredible deal and included clear bra and tint. You cannot go wrong with the GS. The car meets all of my demands, besides the mark Levinson subwoofers have been a disappointment for me. Make sure and get the illuminated door sills. They just look awesome. Don't pay more than 54k for a fully loaded one.
Great info! I live in the springs and have been to both those dealers. I will make a decision toward the beginning of summer but will certainly keep that price in mind.