GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Like most people, confused about dropping a GS350F on Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 10:15 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for pics, looks great. Are those 20's? Hows the ride compared to stock when upgrading springs with 20s?

My takeaway from research on which springs to buy:

tanabe: perfect with 20s
rsr super downs: perfect with stock 19s

MEAHT

Last edited by MEAHT; 02-11-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 10:32 AM
dajael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ terrycs That looks FAN-FUGGIN-TASTIC!!!! Tell me about your ride quality compared to stock?

I'll have my Tanabes on in the next few weeks.

Peace,

Jason
Old 02-11-15, 11:55 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Thanks for pics, looks great. Are those 20's? Hows the ride compared to stock when upgrading springs with 20s?

My takeaway from research on which springs to buy:

tanabe: perfect with 20s
rsr super downs: perfect with stock 19s

as you can see Im still confused.

MEAHT
Try not to get confused by wheel diameter and wheel to fender gap. The overall tire diameters should be the same so the gap should be the same between both wheel diameters.

Ride quality is fine to me. FWIW ... my wife has never complained about the ride quality and neither has my 80+ year old mother. If there were going to be complaints, they would have been the first to speak up.

Same car and springs, but with stock wheels and tires:

Profile for better view of wheel gap:

You just have to do the trade off between how low you want the car to sit (looks) vs comfort and functionality. Also consider the roads you will be driving on and the driveways you have to get in and out of daily. Also ... you are not stuck to your choice of springs. They can be changed out for a nominal cost later if you choose.

Last edited by terrycs; 02-11-15 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 12:00 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by dajael
@ terrycs That looks FAN-FUGGIN-TASTIC!!!! Tell me about your ride quality compared to stock?

I'll have my Tanabes on in the next few weeks.

Peace,

Jason
I'm sure others will agree ... very close to stock ride quality. Slightly "harsher" due to lower profile tires and lowering springs. I still have to be mindful of parking blocks and steep driveways.

I don't recall reading of too many wanting to go lower, but there were a few that switched over to coil-overs.
Old 02-11-15, 12:12 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Same car and springs, but with stock wheels and tires:

You just have to do the trade off between how low you want the car to sit (looks) vs comfort and functionality. Also consider the roads you will be driving on and the driveways you have to get in and out of daily. Also ... you are not stuck to your choice of springs. They can be changed out for a nominal cost later if you choose.
This looks absolutely perfect here imo, the Tanabe's with the stock F Sport wheels and tires is subtle yet sexy!!

I think the Tanabe's win hands down if you want to strike the best balance of maintaining as close to stock ride and functionality, while dropping it a dash to improve the stance and even handling a bit with the lower center of gravity and slight increase in spring rates.

I wonder if there would be any tire to fender well rubbing issues with the Tanabes though if I wanted to upgrade the tires a size on the stock wheels and run a 245 front 275 rear combo when my Dunlops give out.. thoughts on that anyone?
Old 02-11-15, 01:47 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
This looks absolutely perfect here imo, the Tanabe's with the stock F Sport wheels and tires is subtle yet sexy!!

I think the Tanabe's win hands down if you want to strike the best balance of maintaining as close to stock ride and functionality
Gotta agree 100%
Those images on stock look perfect, googled tanabe images and saw a wide variety of results for some reason on stock images but yours are on point.
Looks like im ordering some nf210

MEAHT
Old 02-11-15, 02:29 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Gotta agree 100%
Those images on stock look perfect, googled tanabe images and saw a wide variety of results for some reason on stock images but yours are on point.
Looks like im ordering some nf210

MEAHT
Great choice MEAHT, I will be curious to hear how you like them when installed, as I may go the same route.. and I know you are looking to keep the ride quality, as am I.

If feasible could you measure your ground to center fenderwell distance f & r before and after to get a real world measurement of the actual drop please?!!

And of course... PICS!!
Old 02-11-15, 02:40 PM
terrycs
Instructor

I wonder if there would be any tire to fender well rubbing issues with the Tanabes though if I wanted to upgrade the tires a size on the stock wheels and run a 245 front 275 rear combo when my Dunlops give out.. thoughts on that anyone?
There should be no rubbing issues. As a matter of fact, you may want to consider adding spacers to the front and rear if you plan on using the stock wheels. Lowering the car will moves the wheel & tire in-board.

Also ... I don't know if there is a 19" 245 and 275 tire with the appropriate aspect ratios that has the correct overall diameter?
Old 02-11-15, 02:56 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

There should be no rubbing issues. As a matter of fact, you may want to consider adding spacers to the front and rear if you plan on using the stock wheels. Lowering the car will moves the wheel & tire in-board.

Also ... I don't know if there is a 19" 245 and 275 tire with the appropriate aspect ratios that has the correct overall diameter?
Thanks for the input Terry, sounds like my idea of the Tanabe's and larger tires on my stock wheels may come true one day thanks in part to your input here!

You bet there are some +1 size tires with proper aspect ratios, I got my eye on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245-40-19 in the front and a 275-35-19 for the rear.. as soon as I can melt these Dunlops off the wheels!!
Old 02-11-15, 03:01 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Great choice MEAHT, I will be curious to hear how you like them when installed, as I may go the same route.. and I know you are looking to keep the ride quality, as am I.

If feasible could you measure your ground to center fenderwell distance f & r before and after to get a real world measurement of the actual drop please?!!

And of course... PICS!!
no doubt! have to admit im a lil desperate to get all the mods to the car done so I can do a full write up. pretty sad that I never got to do the same for my is250 (rip) as I totalled it before posting a full write up and photo post detailing the total interior and exterior white/black conversion! didnt even get final proper pics

This might explain the disparity between the different images I seen around the web, when wheels are in-board it looks like less of a drop.

Do you or anyone know of the mm of the spacers to get the stock wheels flush with body?
Would greatly appreciate it.
'

MEAHT
Old 02-12-15, 06:30 AM
dajael
Rookie

I'm sure others will agree ... very close to stock ride quality. Slightly "harsher" due to lower profile tires and lowering springs. I still have to be mindful of parking blocks and steep driveways.

I don't recall reading of too many wanting to go lower, but there were a few that switched over to coil-overs.
Were you able to achieve a good alignment? My mechanic uses a very nice Hunter rig but he told me there is very little adjustment room for alignment after the Tanabes get installed.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 02-12-15, 12:06 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Were you able to achieve a good alignment? My mechanic uses a very nice Hunter rig but he told me there is very little adjustment room for alignment after the Tanabes get installed.

Thanks,

Jason
Alignment looks decent. My previous thread with alignment data and spacer installation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post8025006
Old 02-13-15, 04:40 AM
dajael
Rookie

Alignment looks decent. My previous thread with alignment data and spacer installation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post8025006
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize you had the Dynamic Handling option (I opted out of that option). I'm not sure we are talking apples to apples for alignment in this case?

Thank again,

Jason
Old 02-13-15, 09:28 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize you had the Dynamic Handling option (I opted out of that option). I'm not sure we are talking apples to apples for alignment in this case?

Thank again,

Jason
The factory alignment specs are the same.
Old 03-12-15, 04:39 PM
msp713
Driver

Atomic350F & MEAHT...did you guys wind up lowering your car like terry did? I've been reading up on this thread and thinking of doing the same. I'm at the 20000 mark and getting road noise with my factory Dunlops so thinking of getting all of this done.

Quick Reply: Like most people, confused about dropping a GS350F on Springs!