GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Like most people, confused about dropping a GS350F on Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 12:33 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dajael
getting the ride quality to match stock ( as much as possible) is as important to me and the elimination of the fender gap. Thanks for all the replies so far

Peace,

Jason

THIS! get a drop, any kind (no matter how small it will obviously be better than stock) but with the closest to stock ride quality. Once this is answered I will also know which springs to get.
thanks guys

MEAHT
Old 02-07-15, 12:45 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Check out this post by Brian@Vossen concerning RSR and their 2 different springs:
RSR Downsprings = more ride quality/less drop
and
RSR Super Down = more drop/less ride quality
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...s-rwd-awd.html

Sport Downsprings

Super Downs:

My mind says downsprings with more conservative drop (white car) but me heart says super downs ya idiot! :/

hope this helps

MEAHT
Old 02-07-15, 12:52 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure glad to hear I am not the only one on this island. I feel like we are at an AA meeting. "Hi my name is Ohface and I have a drop issue. LMAO
Old 02-07-15, 01:37 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts

Omg epic lolol
Old 02-07-15, 02:23 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone on the fence about Super downs in the LA/ IE area is more than welcome to go for a ride in my GS.
Old 02-09-15, 09:31 AM
dajael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Check out this post by Brian@Vossen concerning RSR and their 2 different springs:
RSR Downsprings = more ride quality/less drop
and
RSR Super Down = more drop/less ride quality
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...s-rwd-awd.html

Sport Downsprings

Super Downs:

My mind says downsprings with more conservative drop (white car) but me heart says super downs ya idiot! :/

hope this helps

MEAHT

WOW!!! Those pics say a LOT! Now I'm even more indecisive!
Thanks for the reply MEAHT
Old 02-09-15, 10:10 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From my research of spring rates and specified drops this is my conclusion (without real world testing)-

Tanabe NF210 for ride quality close to stock,
RS*R Down for more improved handling, yet a firmer ride, Superdown for even more drop,
Swift for slightly less drop to maintain room for larger tires without issues, slightly firmer ride than stock in between Tanabe and RS*R.

Let us know what you get, then post before and after pics with measurements and extensive writeups please!
Old 02-09-15, 11:55 AM
terrycs
Instructor

I've been happy with my NF210 springs. Mine were installed soon after they were introduced.

As others have mentioned, rubbing is not a function of the springs installed assuming the springs were designed for the car. And IMHO, getting stiffer springs to compensate for rubbing is a bad idea although it may work. In doing so, you give up your suspension travel and your ride quality. Rubbing is a function of tire width along with wheel width/offset. I have 285 tires on 10" wheels at the rear without rubbing.

Another thing one may wish to consider is camber wear on the tires. Super Downs are guaranteed to wear out your tires faster if a camber kit is not installed as well.

The way I look at it is the NF210 were designed to drop the car as low as possible without the need for a camber kit. Most people using them were able to achieve factory alignment specs. but there were a few that couldn't. Even though my rear camber came in at the edge of allowable factory spec, I have a rear camber kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to install.

Finally, even with NF210 springs installed, I still have to be very careful about rubbing my aftermarket front lip going in and out of some driveways. I can't see it being possible to daily drive a car equipped with both super downs and a front lip and expecting the lip to not get damaged.

Just a few more things to consider.
Old 02-09-15, 09:00 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terrycs
I can't see it being possible to daily drive a car equipped with both super downs and a front lip and expecting the lip to not get damaged.

Just a few more things to consider.
Are you serious? This puts me out of the market then for the superdowns, I really want the front lip. Especially after hearing about camber kits, brings back nightmares of buying about 10 pairs of tires in 2 years with my first dropped car. Done with that.

Im going to have to switch my decision now back to tanabes...thanks Terry I appreciate it.

Last edited by MEAHT; 02-09-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 09:18 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts

So there's rsr downs and sus downs, whats the difference ?
Old 02-09-15, 10:03 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I DD on Super Downs with a lip spoiler and will scrape occasionally. Thinking about ditching the springs and going to coil overs.
Old 02-09-15, 10:26 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrycs
Another thing one may wish to consider is camber wear on the tires. Super Downs are guaranteed to wear out your tires faster if a camber kit is not installed as well.

I can't see it being possible to daily drive a car equipped with both super downs and a front lip and expecting the lip to not get damaged.
The camber with the super downs is what allowed me to tuck 10.5" wheels on 275/30/20 tires without rubbing, BUT...the rear tires just got replaced after about 13,500 miles. I ended up putting NItto Motivos on the rear since my buddy hooked me up at Americas Tire for $210 each. The front tires still have 7/32" left.

Are you serious? This puts me out of the market then for the superdowns, I really want the front lip. Especially after hearing about camber kits, brings back nightmares of buying about 10 pairs of tires in 2 years with my first dropped car. Done with that.

Im going to have to switch my decision now back to tanabes...thanks Terry I appreciate it.
People are running front lips with their super downs, also on coilovers. Tanabes are the safest bet though, as Terry said. He always provides good insight.
Old 02-10-15, 06:04 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Hey Terrycs can you post pics of your whip with tanabes + lip?
Thanks

MEAHT

Last edited by MEAHT; 02-10-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 08:53 AM
dajael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got my mechanic ordering the Tanabe NF210's asap.

I've got my order in with Vossen for the new "facelifted" graphite CV3's 20x9-20x10 or 10.5 <--yet to be determined, I'm being told mid to late March on the wheels.

This is the car I'm working with, 2015 F-sport:

I'll be running on Conti tires because they provide a more flush sidewall instead of the stretched out look and minimal wheel lip exposure.

Here's a Vossen 10.5 on 275/30/20 on Toyos (too much sidewall stretch and lip exposure for me):

And here is a Vossen 10.5 on 275/30/20 on Continentals (perfect fit imho):

I'll be blacking out the front grill and all chrome (wrap or plastidip, haven't decided).

Installing a front Lip, if I could EVER find someone in the USA that doesn't want $500 for this 2 Piece setup:

OTHERWISE...I'm going with this front lip:

And of course I'll be sending Sewell Lexus some money for these:

That's pretty much my build folks, I'll take lots of pics and do a final write-up when complete.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 02-11-15, 09:47 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Hey Terrycs can you post pics of your whip with tanabes + lip?
Thanks

MEAHT
A couple of smartphone pics while parked at work. I personally wouldn't want to go any lower so I'm happy with my drop. The added lip makes the front about 1" closer to the ground.

Quick Reply: Like most people, confused about dropping a GS350F on Springs!