Front Lip Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 09:55 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Lip Install

Sup,
Anyone have any tips for installing the skipper style front lip? Used the existing holes/screws plus some 20lb double sided tape to secure it but there was still a small gap. Looked awesome but pulled up to work a couple of days later to work to realize one side of the lip was torn off basically :/

My car is leased so I don't want to drill into the white part of the bumper, but I understand to properly secure it I will need to do some type of drilling. Anyone have any tips? especially those who have added lip with a leased car.

thanks
MEAHT

What it looked like before it was torn off:

Old 02-06-15, 10:22 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Looks great!
Old 02-06-15, 11:39 AM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. What tint % did you use?
Old 02-06-15, 07:45 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Did you plasti-dip the wheels. Interesting look.
Old 02-06-15, 10:15 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drilled into my bumper, f@$& it.

You plan on lowering it?
Old 02-06-15, 10:32 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I installed mine with only tapes cause my screw holes didn't line up.

Did a lot of shavings to make this fit good like this and many thoughts on just ripping this apart into pieces cause the fitment was so bad but I decided to keep it and now I'm liking it more and more every time I see it. I only paid $90 for this thing too!

Old 02-07-15, 03:02 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Thanks for the comments guys

Originally Posted by Kayman
Looks good. What tint % did you use?
Thanks! Used 30% Nothing too crazy. Used to love getting limo tints but A. VERY dangerous at night and B. Put yourself in the cop's shoes as hes approaching your car with those limo tints, definitely don't want to get shot!

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Did you plasti-dip the wheels. Interesting look.
Plastidipped wheels, front bumper, front lip(R.I.P.), rear bumper bottom + exhaust finishers, rear bumper reflectors, tail lights, window chrome trim. Go ahead, you can call me a Plastidip Sl u t, wont offend me
I'm surgical with this s h it Jake

Originally Posted by darylrsv4
I drilled into my bumper, f@$& it.
You plan on lowering it?
I want to drill, esp since I have up to $7K damage protection on it when I turn her back in. Do you have to drill into white part of bumper? Can you take a pic somehow of one of the screws?

Damnit! you noticed the wheel gap I know im going to have to lower it eventually, something conservative like tanabe. Only issue is Ive dropped a different car a along time ago and I remember the headaches it caused (bumbpy stiff ride, drop outs, driving super slow etc) but damn does it improve the look of the car.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I installed mine with only tapes cause my screw holes didn't line up.
Only tape!? do you drive above 50mph ?the holes on mine lined up perfectly to the original holes. Just unscrewed the screws on the car, put double sided tape all around and then screwed it in. Not good enough though.

Now im starting to question whether I destroyed it on a parking divider or on the highway... Getting ready to order a new one but I don't want to have to do this again in a couple of weeks. Gotta say...Love dat look though

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing to stick closer to the car? Was thinking about using thin screws all around so that it can be a tighter fit but at the same time if it gets ripped off then it wont take the bumper with it. What do you guys think?
Thanks
MEAHT
Old 02-07-15, 06:57 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Let me see if I can get a decent picture. I'm on RSR Superdowns and I love how the car rides and looks. I have heard the Tanabes can be soft.

I would NOT use just tape. You do not want that lip coming off at speed, it will f@&$ your bumper up.
Old 02-07-15, 09:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Only tape!? do you drive above 50mph?
I had a heavily modded MR2 Turbo (very similar to the image below) that had many body trim parts installed using just tape. I used 3M Scotch Acrylic Foam Double-Sided Tape, and that stuff will bond like it is welded after it is heated and sets-up. I never had any problem whatsoever...with speeds will into triple-digit range.

The following users liked this post:
the2ndr (02-09-20)
Old 02-07-15, 10:43 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Very surprised at that. Previous forum I use to frequent when I had a supercharged 5.0, guys were using just tape (3M) and they were pissed because at speed it would rip off and cause carnage to the bottom of their bumper.

On that car, I used 3M tape,screwed in and used turnbuckles. Maybe a little overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 02-07-15, 11:13 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I've driven it at 100 MPH and on some rain storm and it hasn't moved. It's really hard to take it off once it's settled too. Just make sure u put the tape on the right contact points.
Old 02-07-15, 11:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by darylrsv4
Very surprised at that. Previous forum I use to frequent when I had a supercharged 5.0, guys were using just tape (3M) and they were pissed because at speed it would rip off and cause carnage to the bottom of their bumper.

On that car, I used 3M tape,screwed in and used turnbuckles. Maybe a little overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I did not say that all body kit trim pieces were installed with just tape, but many were...and the pieces that also used fasteners/screws it was the tape that was the main attachment component.

Of course I don't know (and you might not either) what double-sided tape those people used, but I'm guessing one or more of the following applied to their failure; (1) did not use the correct automotive attachment tape, (2) did not properly prepare the surfaces by removing all wax or related products and/or dirt, (3) did not install it to surfaces that were 70°F or preferably higher, or (4) did not allow enough time for the two adhesive surfaces to bond to the car's surfaces. In all likelihood those people that were "pissed because at speed it would rip off" probably never read the instructions or were given professional advice, which is commonplace and typical.
Old 02-07-15, 11:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yes prep the surfaces very well first and I only use tape on a fairly light weight parts like this lip, it is light. I wouldn't use only tapes on big wings and heavy bumpers.

The rear window and trunk spoilers on my old Camry was only held by tapes and they never moved either. But these are the lip style spoilers (low profile not Fast Furious style).
Old 02-07-15, 12:24 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

This is the tape I used

Amazon Amazon

It might have definitely been my fault as I just lightly went over the bumper with a wet rag, should have cleaned it with something more powerful with more pressure. And probably most importantly I never screwed in the ends because it would be too visible once lip was removed (but I did put tape there).

With the large chunk of plastic missing from the lip theres no doubt that at some point it was chewed out by the tire.
Old 02-07-15, 12:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I used the same tape but I doubled it.

Quick Reply: Front Lip Install