GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Leasing GS F-Sport vs regular GS... Thoughts Please??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 01:39 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leasing GS F-Sport vs regular GS... Thoughts Please??

I was debating between the IS 350 AWD F-Sport and the non-F Sport GS AWD but after taking the IS home for a day I realized it felt much too cramped inside and the interior didn't feel up to par after comparing it to the GS.

Now I'm realizing the GS F-Sport might only be another $40ish per month and am debating going that direction but I need some opinions...

Having only driven both the GS AWD F-Sport and the non F Sport GS AWD models for maybe 10 minutes each I wasn't able to get a good feel for the suspension or handling through high speed turns. I didn't notice much of a difference in the driving characteristics in this short period, mainly just the looks (which alone make a good argument to spend the extra money). I live in Chicago and mainly drive the horrible downtown streets and stop and go highway so realistically it makes sense for the cheaper GS but if anyone is adamant that the F-Sport is a must have, even for a city dweller, I might take a harder look at both. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 02-05-15, 02:01 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm in Chicago as well and I went with the F-Sport mostly on the looks. The suspension is a tad better but frankly in Chicago you won't notice the difference. So do you want more luxury and cool features or do you want the sporty feel and look?
Old 02-05-15, 02:26 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by praetor
I'm in Chicago as well and I went with the F-Sport mostly on the looks. The suspension is a tad better but frankly in Chicago you won't notice the difference. So do you want more luxury and cool features or do you want the sporty feel and look?
Are you happy with your choice or do you wish you went the other direction and a few more options?

I currently drive an Acura TL (FWD) and want to avoid getting another mediocre riding mid-size sedan but I have a feeling either GS would be a very nice improvement in terms of fun-factor. I would be looking at the cheaper premium package, not the luxury package so I think all I'd lose is the rain sensing wipers and rear sunshade and I'd probably ditch the parking sensors.

Essentially, is the F-Sport worth another $1300-$1400 give or take over 3 years?
Old 02-05-15, 02:29 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

>Essentially, is the F-Sport worth another $1300-$1400 give or take over 3 years?

If you drive aggressively yes, no question. The effects of Sport+ are subtle but definitely there. I had a standard GS as a loaner for a coupe of days and there's no comparison if you like to push it through the twisties.
Old 02-05-15, 02:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcb345
Are you happy with your choice or do you wish you went the other direction and a few more options?

I currently drive an Acura TL (FWD) and want to avoid getting another mediocre riding mid-size sedan but I have a feeling either GS would be a very nice improvement in terms of fun-factor. I would be looking at the cheaper premium package, not the luxury package so I think all I'd lose is the rain sensing wipers and rear sunshade and I'd probably ditch the parking sensors.

Essentially, is the F-Sport worth another $1300-$1400 give or take over 3 years?
The Premium package includes the rain sensing wipers and the rear sunshade. I recommend the IPA and also the BSM, which always come together.
Old 02-05-15, 02:39 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5PM
>Essentially, is the F-Sport worth another $1300-$1400 give or take over 3 years?

If you drive aggressively yes, no question. The effects of Sport+ are subtle but definitely there. I had a standard GS as a loaner for a coupe of days and there's no comparison if you like to push it through the twisties.
I was hoping for an answer like that. I'll likely push for the F-Sport then pending sale price. I don't think I could handle the non-F Sport if it's not able to keep up when presented with a nice stretch of road. Any opinion on the harshness of the suspension when in the normal setting? I'm not too concerned about that but again I dodge potholes all day long.
Old 02-05-15, 03:15 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

If u like the FSport just a little bit, even just a tiny bit... then get the FSport. U will kick urself in the rear for getting the regular GS. Like I did... I ended up spending more $$ to trade in for the FSport model.

In normal mode the FSport floats but in Sport+ this thing is rock solid and u will feel every bumps, it's feels like 2 totally different car.

It's like buying 2 different cars in one, it can be a family cruiser and a race car! It can hang with the big dogs on the freeway.
Old 02-05-15, 03:19 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

>Any opinion on the harshness of the suspension when in the normal setting?

It's plush enough for my total non-racer wife; she loves the car, which may be its best feature...it has some of the same Jekyll/Hyde flavor of the E60 M5 (but with nowhere near the power). You can drive it like a limo or you can carve corners with the best of them - your choice.
Old 02-05-15, 06:38 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

I now think I would kick myself in the *ss if I didn't go with the F Sport after reading your opinions. Much appreciated.
Old 02-06-15, 06:51 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by Mcb345

I'm quite happy with my FSport. Having rear heated seats, fog lights, rear window shades, ...etc. really doesn't interest me as I rarely have passengers in my car. I do wish I have the adaptive headlights though.
Old 02-06-15, 06:52 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Premium package includes the rain sensing wipers and the rear sunshade. I recommend the IPA and also the BSM, which always come together.
My FSport has rain sensing wipers and the powered rear sunshade as well as IPA and BSM.
Old 02-06-15, 09:18 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the 14 GS F-Sport and the car performs great in the snow. And I have had plenty of practice the past two winters in the Boston area.
Old 02-08-15, 10:19 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just in your position. Sold on a 15 IS F Sport then I drove the GS F Sport and what a big difference. The interior and drive is night and day difference. So glad I decided to drive it because I was 1 hour away from pulling the trigger on the IS. Also if you get it don't be cheap and not get blind spot monitoring it is a must have. It will also increase resale so get it.
Old 02-10-15, 08:21 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in your boat, i have a 2012 IS250 AWD which i'm thinking to trade for 2013 GS350 F sport!
Old 02-10-15, 08:29 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
>
If you drive aggressively yes, no question. The effects of Sport+ are subtle but definitely there.

excellent point. but i would say the sport s+ is not subtle. As soon as I switch you can feel the car sits better, steering stiffens up (amazing for high speed turns) and it just lets out this extra thirsty growl and acceleration than even the regular sport mode (does non fsport have sport mode?)

Originally Posted by 5PM
> I had a standard GS as a loaner for a coupe of days and there's no comparison if you like to push it through the twisties.
LMAO!!!

MEAHT

Quick Reply: Leasing GS F-Sport vs regular GS... Thoughts Please??