Rear wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 05:29 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel question

2103 GS 350 F-SPORT
I've only had my car for a month but I just noticed there is a small space between my rear wheels and the rotor hat. My front is not like this. I don't have an opportunity to take the wheels off and look.
Can someone take a look at theirs and confirm.
Old 01-26-15, 09:33 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Your front will be completely different as you have a 4 pot caliper in front vs the 2 pot in the rear. I will take a pic tomorrow as I think I understand what your asking but it would probably be better if you posted a pic from your car so others could help you figure if its normal. I'm sure its normal though.
Old 01-27-15, 02:13 PM
Shinedown
Driver

I couldn't get a good pic but here it is

If I put my finger where the back of the wheel "usually" would be flush against the rotor hat I can feel a slight space. My front wheels are not like this, they are flush. Could someone please check their rear wheels.
Old 01-27-15, 06:14 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Thanks Bigblack06. Anybody else?
Old 01-27-15, 09:00 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Is there a wobble or something. I don't have a gap between my wheel in the rear but front a I do, that's only cause I have a spacer in front.
Old 01-27-15, 09:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I remember seeing a gap on mine too, front and rear I think. Will need to check again but I'm pretty sure it looks like that.
Old 01-28-15, 12:57 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rest assured amigo your car is alright.. I just went out and took a peek at my brand new 2015 F Sport and I see the same thing you are describing here!

There is a slightly beveled piece that goes behind the wheel and cuts inward to the rotor hat, causing the perception of a “gap” between the parts. I didn’t take it apart so I am not exactly sure if that is part of the hub or wheel or what it may be, but I see what you are talking about for sure and mine is the same way.

Also the front rotor sits very flush and straight with the back of the wheel and even looks to be a shiny aluminum vs the darker rear components, so it does not look like the rear what so ever. Probably has to do with the rwd drive hub I would imagine.

Anyhow, let the high performance driving commence in confidence!!
Old 01-29-15, 10:37 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Rest assured amigo your car is alright.. I just went out and took a peek at my brand new 2015 F Sport and I see the same thing you are describing here!

There is a slightly beveled piece that goes behind the wheel and cuts inward to the rotor hat, causing the perception of a “gap” between the parts. I didn’t take it apart so I am not exactly sure if that is part of the hub or wheel or what it may be, but I see what you are talking about for sure and mine is the same way.

Also the front rotor sits very flush and straight with the back of the wheel and even looks to be a shiny aluminum vs the darker rear components, so it does not look like the rear what so ever. Probably has to do with the rwd drive hub I would imagine.

Anyhow, let the high performance driving commence in confidence!!
Thanks for checking. I can finally confirm exactly what you said. I got a chance to take the wheel off and it has a beveled edge that gives it the appearance like it's not touching.
Old 01-29-15, 01:08 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shinedown
Thanks for checking. I can finally confirm exactly what you said. I got a chance to take the wheel off and it has a beveled edge that gives it the appearance like it's not touching.
Glad I could help bud..

So to clarify the bevel is on the wheel itself or the hub?
Old 01-29-15, 01:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Glad I could help bud..

So to clarify the bevel is on the wheel itself or the hub?
On my Premium I have the rear gap also. So, since the four wheels are common and can be installed on either the front or the rear, it must be the hubs on the rear that are beveled - giving the appearance of the gap on the rear, but not the front.
Old 01-29-15, 01:26 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
On my Premium I have the rear gap also. So, since the four wheels are common and can be installed on either the front or the rear, it must be the hubs on the rear that are beveled - giving the appearance of the gap on the rear, but not the front.
This may be the case for Premium, though I believe they were wider wheels in the rear on the F Sport.. but your point still makes sense.

Hopefully op will confirm for us either way!
Old 01-29-15, 06:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

My Rear:

My Front:

Old 01-29-15, 06:18 PM
Shinedown
Driver

So this is what I have discovered. My car is AWD so all wheels are the same which means they re interchangeable. They all have a bevel before they contact the hub(or rotor). I bet all fsport wheels are like this regardless of width but I can't confirm because as I mentioned my car is AWD. The reason the front and rear look different is due to the size of the rotor hat. If you take a look you'll notice that the front rotor hat is smaller than the rear which makes it look different where the wheel makes contact.
Old 01-29-15, 06:22 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the rear has the parking brake (drum in disc type) I think, that's why the housing is bigger. But my RWD FSport has wider wheels in the back and bigger rotors in the front.
Old 01-29-15, 06:24 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Also*off topic*
My rear rotors have surface rust on the places that don't make contact (see pics)
Does anyone have a good easy way to remove it?

Quick Reply: Rear wheel question