GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Detail at dealership

Old 04-13-16, 06:21 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
I took mine to Lexus to detail... Made MORE scratches and left burn makes from the buffer. When I questioned them, they said the "paint" was already like that. I am like the car is brand new, how are there going to be buffer burn makes on it?? I let my AMEX handle the chargeback and provided them pictures.
That burnt the paint because they used a high speed rotary instead of an orbital machine....they just want to get done fast so they can turn over cars
Old 04-13-16, 06:27 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Me either, unless u drop the clay and it picks up dirt and u reuse it. My paint has been crystal clear and I always check for paint damage with a flashlight.
You like me have a great color for not being able to see swirl marks/micro marring....it's the reason for the most part that I moved away from dark colors....

As serious as I became about detailing my own cars as a hobby, I promise you that for every 6 months of even the most delicate hand washing, your car is swirled and needs a machine polish....

Just one trip through the dealership car wash or one trip through the local wash will require hours of machine polish....

It all comes down to what you can live with....which brings me to my white car! Swirl marks are all but invisible on white and silver cars, which has almost liberated me from my detailing desiease....

Almost
Old 04-13-16, 07:27 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Take your time ladies....

Old 04-13-16, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Yes washing any car creates marring over time. It's a question of "need". I'm of the school where machine polishing is a last resort. It's a daily driven car, it's going to have SOME marring.
Old 04-13-16, 10:57 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yes washing any car creates marring over time. It's a question of "need". I'm of the school where machine polishing is a last resort. It's a daily driven car, it's going to have SOME marring.
That statement right there tells me you really don't know how to correctly detail a car....and that is perfectly fine, not everyone has a desire to have their cars paint detailed to that level
Old 04-13-16, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
That statement right there tells me you really don't know how to correctly detail a car....and that is perfectly fine, not everyone has a desire to have their cars paint detailed to that level
Hahaha, buddy, I've been detailing cars for 20+ years. I've detailed professionally and as a hobbyist. I'm a very competent detailer. It's a question of desire, not ability. Whenever you machine polish you remove paint, bottom line. I don't see the point of obsessing over the paint to that degree in a daily driver. My cars never require machine polishing to meet my standards at this point in my life. I'm able to keep them 90% swirl free without having to polish them out. If you shine a halogen or LED lamp on them will you find marring? For sure. Do I sit in my garage at night and obsess over my paint with a handheld lamp? Not anymore.

As for comparing detailing skill you're the one who can't seem to clay a car without scratching it, so perhaps it's you who doesn't know how to appropriately detail a car
Old 04-13-16, 08:14 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Hahaha, buddy, I've been detailing cars for 20+ years. I've detailed professionally and as a hobbyist. I'm a very competent detailer. It's a question of desire, not ability. Whenever you machine polish you remove paint, bottom line. I don't see the point of obsessing over the paint to that degree in a daily driver. My cars never require machine polishing to meet my standards at this point in my life. I'm able to keep them 90% swirl free without having to polish them out. If you shine a halogen or LED lamp on them will you find marring? For sure. Do I sit in my garage at night and obsess over my paint with a handheld lamp? Not anymore.

As for comparing detailing skill you're the one who can't seem to clay a car without scratching it, so perhaps it's you who doesn't know how to appropriately detail a car

That is cool, I am almost where you are in terms of the desire....I don't slave over my paint like I did in the past, and I usually buy colors that give me more freedom as well
Old 04-15-16, 07:54 AM
Renrutjw
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I let the dealership wash mine ONCE - I had just returned from a road trip and it was nasty. I got home and walked around the back of the car and saw this. I sent a text to the service rep with this pic, he was embarrassed and offered to have it washed again. Grrr.. no thanks!