GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Update on my switch to Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 03:10 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
You're not crapping all over his thread. His LEASE is only for 24 months and this isn't his first S5 with the supercharged V6. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Now, if OP would have said his S5 is better than the GS, he loves it so much that he plans to keep it forever... Then you could crap all over his thread
Well, I just don't want to be a ****, that's all
Old 02-02-15, 07:03 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
Well, I just don't want to be a ****, that's all
You're not. I hear what you're saying. Lexus is bulletproof. I bought my Lexus. I'm leasing my Audi. With that said, I owned an '09 A5, '10 S5 Cab and '11 S5 Cab. Granted, I only kept each for maybe 10k miles but I had no issues. The S5 in general has had few issues, particularly the Supercharged V6, and after 7 years most of the bugs have been worked out. The GS is the longest I've ever kept a car because it was that good!

As Sick said, I knew what I was doing.
Old 02-02-15, 07:29 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
I have to echo this sentiment as well. I don't want to crap all over the OP's thread; the S5 is a good looking car and the supercharged V6 is amazing. But I came from a '12 A4 that I owned only two years because the car was in the shop for something almost 3 months total out of that 2nd year. It was my first foray into German cars. They have a lot to do reliability-wise before I leave the Japanese again.
Interesting. There was a thread recently on the A6 forum asking what will be you next car. The percent that said another Audi was incredibly high. My BMW has been in the shop once in three years for a total of three days other than scheduled maintenance. There is a thread now on the 5 series forum about a major "customer care" program to correct problems with the twin turbo V8. While there are people like you who have had problems, the truth is that much of the hysteria is from people who have never had a problem but are taking the cars in anyway to be checked out and updated.

I do agree that Japanese cars are more reliable, but I really believe problems with German cars is greatly over stated, and I have several friends who have owned multiple BMWs and other German cars that have been trouble free.
Old 02-02-15, 08:32 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I see you D... Nice. I am taking a long look at the A8... But the 2016/17 LS will probably win me over.
Old 02-02-15, 08:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I see you D... Nice. I am taking a long look at the A8... But the 2016/17 LS will probably win me over.
Hey, nice to hear from you Syd! My advice is to stay with the LS and wait for the updated version. I only went for the S5 because I was longing for a coupe and the RC didn't do it for me. I am waiting for the LF-LC (SC replacement). Audi does have amazing technology, but Lexus is catching up quickly. The current LS is a fantastic car and I know the next gen will be amazing!
Old 02-03-15, 06:52 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
You're not. I hear what you're saying. Lexus is bulletproof. I bought my Lexus. I'm leasing my Audi. With that said, I owned an '09 A5, '10 S5 Cab and '11 S5 Cab. Granted, I only kept each for maybe 10k miles but I had no issues. The S5 in general has had few issues, particularly the Supercharged V6, and after 7 years most of the bugs have been worked out. The GS is the longest I've ever kept a car because it was that good!

As Sick said, I knew what I was doing.
Well I do hope you enjoy it. That car is a hoot to drive!
Old 02-04-15, 08:57 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
While there are people like you who have had problems, the truth is that much of the hysteria is from people who have never had a problem but are taking the cars in anyway to be checked out and updated.
IMO, it starts at BMW stealerships where they recommend $1000's in 'preventative maintenance' each and every time cars are brought in for routine maintenance...
Old 02-04-15, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
IMO, it starts at BMW stealerships where they recommend $1000's in 'preventative maintenance' each and every time cars are brought in for routine maintenance...
funny that never happened to me on my m3, nor on my s550.

but did happen before when i had my gs400
Old 02-04-15, 01:18 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
funny that never happened to me on my m3, nor on my s550.

but did happen before when i had my gs400
Why would you take an s550 to a BMW dealership?

My brother and dad both had issues with this for years, but maybe it was a reflection of that particular dealership...
Old 02-04-15, 05:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Why would you take an s550 to a BMW dealership?

My brother and dad both had issues with this for years, but maybe it was a reflection of that particular dealership...
lol good one

now i do agree it has to do with dealerships, and particularly the service advisers. ultimately they made the call on what to sell to customers (they are sales after all).
Old 02-04-15, 07:37 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Well, there is no charge for maintenance the first three years. Would you like to insert a quarter and play again? My 550 is coming up on three years and 43,000 miles and all it has cost me is new tires.
Old 02-04-15, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

For all the naysayers about Audi reliability... particulary the S5... this pretty much sums it up and is why I was comfortable enough to go back to one...

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi.../#post24652892
Old 02-05-15, 09:36 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Well, there is no charge for maintenance the first three years. Would you like to insert a quarter and play again? My 550 is coming up on three years and 43,000 miles and all it has cost me is new tires.
Thanks for condescending, pal.

Maybe I was referring to models beyond the 3 year mark...

Maybe you could've read where I said 'My brother and dad both had issues with this for years, but maybe it was a reflection of that particular dealership...'

Old 02-05-15, 04:34 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Thanks for condescending, pal.

Maybe I was referring to models beyond the 3 year mark...

Maybe you could've read where I said 'My brother and dad both had issues with this for years, but maybe it was a reflection of that particular dealership...'

I was referring to what I quoted. Am I supposed to study all of you past posts to be sure I cover everything? I stand by my post, and I even tried to add a little humor. Sadly my humor came across to you as condescending. Maybe you haven't read enough of my other quotes to understand my sense of humor
Old 02-05-15, 05:16 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

I was referring to what I quoted. Am I supposed to study all of you past posts to be sure I cover everything? I stand by my post, and I even tried to add a little humor. Sadly my humor came across to you as condescending. Maybe you haven't read enough of my other quotes to understand my sense of humor
Am I supposed to study all of your past posts to be sure I cover everything????

Haha j/k. Couldn't resist

My bad for over-reacting....just an example of reading your post a bit out-of-context...

Quick Reply: Update on my switch to Audi S5