GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Update on my switch to Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 03:43 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh I see, nothing really too wrong with the GS, just time for a change!! Didnt really dig the RC350 grill huh? Ahhh well that Audi does have a really nice grill I must admit!!

Good luck straying from the brand my friend, may it treat you well and if not, you know where to turn to in the future!
Old 01-29-15, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'm not even going to respond to the troll. Theres a great forum for fans of the 3GS.

Originally Posted by rominl
i have had 98 gs400, 08 gs350, and now 15 gs350.
When did you get a GS? Congrats. What trim?
Old 01-29-15, 04:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm not even going to respond to the troll. Theres a great forum for fans of the 3GS.

When did you get a GS? Congrats. What trim?
just this week. decided it might be time to retire the nsx (drive it less) so need another daily. considered few cars but gs lease deals are pretty attractive. only settled with premium though, fsport is a bit more and i mainly just need a car to drive to work, so missing some bells and whistles. i do like the atomic silver, nice refreshing color!
Old 01-29-15, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Cool! What color interior?
Old 01-29-15, 06:29 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I can understand the cause for the switch. The Lexus 4GS is truly an underwhelming vehicle. And by far the biggest culprit is the ultra bland and dare I say ugly exterior. The interior is also nothing special. It's so sad that the 4GS succeeded such an elegant, beautiful & technologically marvellous 3GS
We're all entitled to our opinions but that was just kind of like a series of troll-like statements. The 3GS is a very fine car although it's obviously dated and it's overly egg shaped and I don't like that.

I'm a huge fan of the S5. I hope it treats you well They definitely have a timeless design.

Last edited by sick21; 01-29-15 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 12:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I'm a Q-Ship guy: big motors in under-stated, mid-size lux sedans.

I recently drove a new S4 (closely aligned to the S5) and it was head and shoulders better than the 4GS when driven fast. Adui's Dynamic and Sport Diff were eye-opening. Plus, it was just plain faster. No quibbling. The S5 is a great looking car (better than the S4), but for my money at the Audi store it's the S6 (though I've only sat in one). The S4 is an understandable compromise, since it's built on their former entry level platform. Furthermore, Audi seems to keep some of its features out of its lower end platforms to entice buyers into their bigger, more expensive cars. The S6 and its TT V8 is an awesome Q-Ship.
I believe too many underrate how much of a difference the F-Sport package makes to the 4GS handling/steering/suspension abilities.

I test drove an Audi A6 3.0T and also the GS350 F-Sport with Rear Wheel Steering. The Audi A6 had better straightline acceleration and the sheer grip from its AWD was impressive. The GS in F-sport trim and RWS simply had better steering feel and felt so much lighter on its feet in the corners. Granted the A6 did not have the Sports differential.

I think it all comes down to individual preference : some like the AWD characteristics especially when accelerating out of a corner and the security of AWD in the wet. Some prefer the RWD characteristics and less understeer prone, less nose heavy character of the GS.
Old 01-30-15, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I believe too many underrate how much of a difference the F-Sport package makes to the 4GS handling/steering/suspension abilities.

I test drove an Audi A6 3.0T and also the GS350 F-Sport with Rear Wheel Steering. The Audi A6 had better straightline acceleration and the sheer grip from its AWD was impressive. The GS in F-sport trim and RWS simply had better steering feel and felt so much lighter on its feet in the corners. Granted the A6 did not have the Sports differential.

I think it all comes down to individual preference : some like the AWD characteristics especially when accelerating out of a corner and the security of AWD in the wet. Some prefer the RWD characteristics and less understeer prone, less nose heavy character of the GS.
It is kind of a toss-up for me. There are many things I loved about the GS F Sport... and handling/steering/suspension were on that list. The interior is also beyond reproach. However, now that I've broken in the S5 a little more the exhaust and engine sound at WOT is fantastic and the thing goes like a beast. Sitting low with tinted windows I feel like I am in a "Silver Bullet". I have Sport Differential so it hugs corners like a needy girlfriend.

Now, if we could only get the best of the GS and the S5 in one car...
Old 01-31-15, 05:12 AM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S5 is a beautiful car for sure. I would love to test drive one but I'm afraid of what might follow. Since I just purchased my 14 GS350 in July I'm going to enjoy it for a while. I'll be keepin an eye on the S5 in the future. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 01-31-15, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye on the next gen GS and possible SC successor, plus the '17 S5. I was financing my GS, but I leased my S5 for 2 years so I won't be tempted to trade anytime soon. All the new models should be out when my lease is up.

Enjoy your GS. It is one of the best all-around cars I have ever owned!
Old 01-31-15, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye on the next gen GS and possible SC successor, plus the '17 S5. I was financing my GS, but I leased my S5 for 2 years so I won't be tempted to trade anytime soon. All the new models should be out when my lease is up.

Enjoy your GS. It is one of the best all-around cars I have ever owned!
i have high hope on the lf-lc
Old 02-01-15, 02:56 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I certainly enjoy the V8 rumble and torque of my GS460, but the 4GS is better in every other way.
Old 02-01-15, 07:33 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I admit it is hard to ignore the appeal of the German cars (Audi, Mercedes, & BMW), but from my experience, they have all proven to be maintenance nightmares. They gained their tough reputation in the 50's, 60's & 70's. As soon as technology took over they became a problem. I owned Mercedes that would run forever that came out of those years, however, there is a reason why you can buy a 10yro, $100K Mercedes for $10K or BMW or Audi. I would probably lease, with a maintenance program, before I would own these days.
Old 02-01-15, 07:07 PM
Pushn2pull
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your S5 beautiful car! Thanks for the honest feed back.

Last edited by Pushn2pull; 02-01-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 08:51 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
I admit it is hard to ignore the appeal of the German cars (Audi, Mercedes, & BMW), but from my experience, they have all proven to be maintenance nightmares. They gained their tough reputation in the 50's, 60's & 70's. As soon as technology took over they became a problem. I owned Mercedes that would run forever that came out of those years, however, there is a reason why you can buy a 10yro, $100K Mercedes for $10K or BMW or Audi. I would probably lease, with a maintenance program, before I would own these days.
I have to echo this sentiment as well. I don't want to crap all over the OP's thread; the S5 is a good looking car and the supercharged V6 is amazing. But I came from a '12 A4 that I owned only two years because the car was in the shop for something almost 3 months total out of that 2nd year. It was my first foray into German cars. They have a lot to do reliability-wise before I leave the Japanese again.
Old 02-02-15, 10:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
I have to echo this sentiment as well. I don't want to crap all over the OP's thread; the S5 is a good looking car and the supercharged V6 is amazing. But I came from a '12 A4 that I owned only two years because the car was in the shop for something almost 3 months total out of that 2nd year.
You're not crapping all over his thread. His LEASE is only for 24 months and this isn't his first S5 with the supercharged V6. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Now, if OP would have said his S5 is better than the GS, he loves it so much that he plans to keep it forever... Then you could crap all over his thread

Quick Reply: Update on my switch to Audi S5