GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Update on my switch to Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 08:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Update on my switch to Audi S5

I miss the Mark Levinson system in my GS, but I'm getting used to the B&O system in the Audi. Not nearly as good but it will suffice.

I miss the HUD since I used to monitor my speed there. However, the Audi has the digital speedo in between the guages. Just have to look a bit lower.

I miss the Cabernet interior, and especially the seats that are really comfortable yet provide lots of support. The S5 seats are harder and it is more difficult to find the ideal seating position, but at least they don't hurt my back.

I miss the electronic adjustment of the steering wheel. The Audi is a manual adjustment, and to get it just right for driving I don't see some of the guage info.

I don't miss the roughness over bumps. I felt like my GS was bottoming out over some bumps and really taking the potholes hard. The Audi soaks them up, even in Dynamic mode.

I miss the sound of the GS under WOT, but the S5 makes some nice sounds too (even if muted).

The Audi only has rear parking sensors, but since the car is smaller I haven't needed them. I haven't curbed a wheel yet!

Last item... I do find myself sneaking into the garage to admire the S5 more than I did my GS.

I am loving the S5. The most important thing that I miss is the input in this forum. You guys are great!
Attached Thumbnails Update on my switch to Audi S5-s5-outside-front.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 01-24-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 10:46 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Beautiful car and congrats once again dseag2!

Thank you for the quick update and some REAL WORLD comparisons between the two cars. Is gas mileage lower on the S5 or is it roughly the same? The EPA numbers are super close, so thought I'd ask.

All the best my friend. We miss you too!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-25-15, 11:52 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The Audi only has rear parking sensors, but since the car is smaller I haven't needed them. I haven't curbed a wheel yet!
Hope you didn't jinx yourself. Glad you are lovin' the S5. Saw a lowered graphite sittin' on CV3 Vossens yesterday at a car wash. Looks sweet.
Old 01-25-15, 09:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Beautiful car and congrats once again dseag2!

Thank you for the quick update and some REAL WORLD comparisons between the two cars. Is gas mileage lower on the S5 or is it roughly the same? The EPA numbers are super close, so thought I'd ask.

All the best my friend. We miss you too!

~ Im2bz2p345
I think I'm getting pretty much the same MPG I got with the GS. The car's readout shows 18.2 MPG and it isn't broken in yet. We'll see.

Again, the BIGGEST NEGATIVE is the support on the forums. I may lurk here often and hopefully no one will call me out for not currently owning a Lexus. I still notice every GS I see on the road.
Old 01-25-15, 09:39 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I miss the "Speeding GS" signature pic already.
Old 01-25-15, 10:14 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your new S5! I love their cars and maybe one day I'll try them out. Yes this is a great forum so I know what you mean. I still frequent the corvette forum even though I sold my last one three years ago. I just love the people there. Just like here in CL. So enjoy the new ride and don't forget to update us on your experience.
Old 01-25-15, 10:28 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't miss the roughness over bumps. I felt like my GS was bottoming out over some bumps and really taking the potholes hard. The Audi soaks them up, even in Dynamic mode.
Keep in mind a part of this may be due to tires sizes and brand!
Old 01-26-15, 01:13 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

How is the handling and steering feel compared to the GS?
Old 01-26-15, 04:35 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the update. Glad you are enjoying the car.
Old 01-26-15, 06:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Keep in mind a part of this may be due to tires sizes and brand!
No, they both have 19's and I had actually replaced the Dunlaps with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 5,000 miles before I traded the car. It made a nice difference in ride/handling, but it was still uncomfortable over potholes, and we have a lot of them in the city of Dallas. The S5 has Pirelli P Zeros, but it just soaks them up better.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-26-15 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 07:01 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
No, they both have 19's and I had actually replaced the Dunlaps with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 5,000 before I traded the car. It made a nice difference in ride/handling, but it was still uncomfortable over potholes, and we have a lot of them in the city of Dallas. The S5 has Pirelli P Zeros, but it just soaks them up better.
Sport + mode is significantly stiffer than the other modes. What mode was your GS usually in?
Old 01-26-15, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
How is the handling and steering feel compared to the GS?
The handling in both is great. My GS had DRS, so it was great around corners. My S5 has Sport Rear Differential and it sits lower, so it gets the nod. That and the AWD make it feel like its on rails. The steering is better in the GS. Also, the S5 has a flat-bottomed steering wheel that I actually don't like as much as the fat, perforated leater wheel in the GS.

GS owners complain about the lack of low-end torque, but the GS actually feels quicker from start. The S5 is a bit more leisurely unless its in Dynamic, but it gets up to speed quite quickly and the torque is there throughout the rev range. I still remember the times punching the GS merging from an onramp onto the highway and it was a thrill!

One story I forgot to tell. I was on my way to trade in the GS and got a ticket for doing 52 mph in a 35 mph zone. That was my last memory of the GS. Always tempted me to drive faster.
Old 01-26-15, 07:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Sport + mode is significantly stiffer than the other modes. What mode was your GS usually in?
Mostly Drive, rarely in Sport + because I didn't like how long it held the gears. I get to adjust things individually in the S5, so I can have the steering, suspension and engine sound in Dynamic but the engine and tranny in Automatic (equal to Drive on the GS). Also, even if everything is in Dynamic it stays that way the next time I get in the car. Also, the seat heaters stay on. (But I don't have ventilated seats, so it's all a trade-off.)

One other thing... the nav system doesn't lock me out while I'm driving.
Old 01-28-15, 07:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I miss the "Speeding GS" signature pic already.
I put it back for you. Just because I no longer have the GS doesn't mean I can't admire it.
Old 01-29-15, 06:06 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand the cause for the switch. The Lexus 4GS is truly an underwhelming vehicle. And by far the biggest culprit is the ultra bland and dare I say ugly exterior.
The interior is also nothing special.

It's so sad that the 4GS succeeded such an elegant, beautiful & technologically marvellous 3GS

Last edited by yowps3; 01-29-15 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Update on my switch to Audi S5