GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

VAIS Technology's Navigation Lockout Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 11:19 AM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VAIS Technology's Navigation Lockout Bypass

After researching this site for possible mods to my 2015 GS350 AWD (expecting shipment in Mar or Apr '15), I came across a thread discussing the VAIS Technology's iVIC-i, which can mirror the iPhone onto the Nav Screen (along with other functionalities).

After reviewing the web site I could only see the iVIC-i for the 5th and 6th Generation Navigation Systems. Since, I work just a few miles from where VAIS Technology does their R&D, I thought I'd stop by to see if the iVIC-i would work for the newer 8th Gen Nav (which is installed in the 2015 GS).

Unfortunately, the iVIC-i is not compatible with the 8th Gen Nav System and since the demand has fallen off quite a bit, they don't have any current plans for updating the iVIC-i to be compatible with the 7th, 8th, or future Gen Nav Systems.

However, all is not lost. VAIS Technology is currently working on and should be releasing soon (within the next couple of weeks) a Navigation Lockout Bypass. I don't have all of the details, but they did say that it will use the steering wheel's "Off-Hook" control button (instead of a separate switch) to activate the bypass functionality. I'm sure they will release more information on their web site soon, and I just wanted to give a heads-up to anyone looking at installing a navigation lockout bypass in the near future.

I don't know how it will compare to the Beat-Sonic's Navigation Bypass, but I will do a review and comparison to the two when my GS finally comes in.
Old 01-19-15, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, i have been keeping an eye on this, i can't wait to receive the unit from vaistech and see how well it works. with no extra separate switch that means it works much closer to the prestigious society unit (also utilize steering wheel buttons), install should be easier and cleaner. then it's going to be a face off on price
Old 01-19-15, 11:56 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Had VAIS Tech Unit in my IS, was very impressed with audio quality. Would be my choice if price/installation comparable to PS. Too bad no mirroring capabilities...
Old 01-19-15, 12:12 PM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

The price VAIS said it would sell it for was less than Beat-Sonic's and Prestigious Society's listed price; however, Beat-Sonic's "Club Lexus" price was lower then the price I was quoted, so perhaps VAIS will offer a similar deal. If VAIS's Navigation Bypass functions very similarly (e.g., video bypass always on and navigation lockout bypass activation with button ("off-hook")) and is of equal quality, then I think the extra cost would be worth it (when comparing against the Beat-Sonic's "Club Lexus" price).

Last edited by ComSciGuy; 01-19-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 03:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if beat sonic is still doing their 100 bucks combo price, that price is unbeatable
Old 01-19-15, 11:38 PM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
if beat sonic is still doing their 100 bucks combo price, that price is unbeatable
Unfortunately, they are not.
Old 05-28-15, 05:05 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I installed this today, but seem to have received a defective unit. Hopefully VAISTECH steps up and makes it right. I will let everyone know what happens.
Old 06-01-15, 03:45 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

VAISTECH overnighted me a new unit, new one works perfect!! Great companies always step up.

Last edited by HUSKERnKS; 06-01-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 06:34 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
VAISTECH overnighted me a new unit, new one works perfect!! Great companies always step up.
Appreciate a short review/install details...i'm deciding between it and the PS unit. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-01-15, 07:01 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

So the iPhone mirror does work? Where do I buy this at?
Old 06-01-15, 07:26 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Appreciate a short review/install details...i'm deciding between it and the PS unit. Thanks for any input.
I have installed both the VAISTECH and the PS Module. The install is exactly the same for both. Plug and play with no wires to cut. So far I am preferring the VAISTECH. It used the on hook button instead of the (--++) sequence of the PS Module. Small difference but shorter. The VAISTECH also provides audio feedback that the unlock was disabled successfully.

I believe the PS module always has the video unlocked (I could be wrong). The VAISTECH requires a button combo which isn't a big deal because I rarely play video in the car.

I am not sure if I can mirror the iPhone with this module, but I doubt it without another module.

If you go to VAISTECH's website they have install instructions. Truly easy. They are much more open with the install process prior to purchase than PS has been.

Both good modules.

Last edited by HUSKERnKS; 06-01-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 08:43 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

I have installed both the VAISTECH and the PS Module. The install is exactly the same for both. Plug and play with no wires to cut. So far I am preferring the VAISTECH. It used the on hook button instead of the (--++) sequence of the PS Module. Small difference but shorter. The VAISTECH also provides audio feedback that the unlock was disabled successfully.

I believe the PS module always has the video unlocked (I could be wrong). The VAISTECH requires a button combo which isn't a big deal because I rarely play video in the car.

I am not sure if I can mirror the iPhone with this module, but I doubt it without another module.

If you go to VAISTECH's website they have install instructions. Truly easy. They are much more open with the install process prior to purchase than PS has been.

Both good modules.
Thanks. I had a VAISTECH ipod interface in my old IS and really appreciated the improved sound quality. Any difference good/bad to SQ w/either interface?
Old 06-03-15, 07:51 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Not that I notice. My guess is it is only intercepting what is needed, so it shouldn't have an impact on sound.
Old 06-03-15, 05:49 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Right on!
Not that I notice. My guess is it is only intercepting what is needed, so it shouldn't have an impact on sound.
Old 06-04-15, 03:21 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

HUSKERnKS, any preference between the two inre to Navigation running in the background?

Quick Reply: VAIS Technology's Navigation Lockout Bypass