GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whistle sound with light press on pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 12:33 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an update... took it to Rockville Lexus and dropped it off for the problem. I came in armed with a TSB from previous GS generation with my exact symptom and problem. They called me a few hours later and said 2 techs drove the car and didn't hear any sounds, adn the TSB didn't apply because it wasn't from my model year (which I can understand). I offered to drive with a tech and demo it, which I did, and that tech claimed he didn't hear anything unusual. It was a touch less noticeable than usual (of course, the day I take it in) but it was there. And, of course, if they can't hear anything major, they refuse to do any work on it.

This problem is frustrating because it is a subtle issue... to the tech sitting in the car, or anyone who doesn't drive it every day, it probably seems like a ridiculous request to get it fixed... but when you hear it every day every time you go a certain speed it becomes very irritating. It's like having a watch that's never quite right or a picture hung slightly askew.

Any ideas how I can get the dealer to take this seriously.

Last edited by Tzakiel; 02-27-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 12:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I'm guessing they are taking your concerns seriously. However, depending on their hearing (frequency range) and location within the car, they may not be able to hear what you hear.

I had a similar issue years ago with an annoying whine in the automatic transmission during automatic downshifts into first gear. Two technicians could not hear what I heard - and I am convinced they were serious about not being able to hear the whine...regardless whether I drove the car or if they drove the car. They told me there was nothing they could do because they didn't know what to do - which I understood. I asked if they would swap transmissions from another new car in their inventory. They said yes, which actually surprised me. After the swap...I heard the exact same whine as the automatic transmission downshifted into first gear. I never said another word about it! Because I knew then that there was noting that could be done about it...
Old 02-27-15, 01:54 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm guessing they are taking your concerns seriously. However, depending on their hearing (frequency range) and location within the car, they may not be able to hear what you hear.

I had a similar issue years ago with an annoying whine in the automatic transmission during automatic downshifts into first gear. Two technicians could not hear what I heard - and I am convinced they were serious about not being able to hear the whine...regardless whether I drove the car or if they drove the car. They told me there was nothing they could do because they didn't know what to do - which I understood. I asked if they would swap transmissions from another new car in their inventory. They said yes, which actually surprised me. After the swap...I heard the exact same whine as the automatic transmission downshifted into first gear. I never said another word about it! Because I knew then that there was noting that could be done about it...
I forgot to mention I also brought with me a TSB describing my exact problem.
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...earing-spacers

Problem is it is not from my model year and so they didn't seem interested in looking at the issue from that angle. I thought they would at least take a look at the shaft bearings.
Old 05-12-15, 11:01 AM
Heatboy05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem here!

I have the same exact issue as you and I've been fighting with Lexus for quite a while. I have the 2013 GS AWD. After this winter, I realized that it is related to the temperature - in very cold temperatures, the noise goes away. Same for if you just get in the car, it doesn't start happening until the car warms up a bit.

The service manager heard the noise and said that other cars have the same noise so they are calling it normal. They actually had some techs from corporate drive the vehicle, which resulted in the same.

I just put another call in to see if there's an update. I hate paying $550 a month for car with this noise!
Old 05-17-15, 09:56 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed more as the weather warms up into the 80's... hm. Maybe I will try again on a hot day to see if they can hear it better. It really is odd and not normal sounding.
Old 05-18-15, 05:07 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Originally Posted by Tzakiel
I have noticed more as the weather warms up into the 80's... hm. Maybe I will try again on a hot day to see if they can hear it better. It really is odd and not normal sounding.
2013 AWD CPO. Same exact thing. I am not concerned now that I see others with the same noise. Its probably something that is not doing any damage to anything. I suspect its probably a harmonic related noise from something up front.
Old 06-01-15, 07:56 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Update if anyone is still trying to track this down. I tested a bit and noticed the sound still occurs when I shift to neutral during the coast... Just continues whether in gear or not. Does that rule anything out or make anything more likely? Now I do wonder about tire noise or wheel bearing...