GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 07:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I know this may be difficult but that's bogus..

When shocks and springs are installed new at the factory, the car does not role off the line that way..

Same scenario if you we're to replace one new shock or spring after a few years..

Your car wouldn't sit lopsided..

Something is wrong and it needs the right set of hands to fix it..!!

Joe Z
Totally agree!

Maybe a different shop.
Old 01-25-15, 07:24 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
- Update -

Went back to the shop today. The techstream diagnostics returned 6 error codes, one of them was 'Air Suspension'. They cleared all the codes and told me to drive for a few hours and then come back.

Oh yea, my TPMS sensors started working

In 2 hours I went back. We connected the car again but this time there were no error codes. We decided to look at the suspension menu. They ran the diagnostics and the car was definitely reading each of 4 AVS motors, the voltage info was showing + other information. We also took one of the motors off and sent a test signal to it, it was rotating.

Now here is what's interesting. According to the techstream screen, all 4 shocks right now are set to 17 MAX, that's the stiffest setting. We tried putting the car in ECO - NORMAL - SPORT - SPORT +, even though the mode was changing the dampening of the shocks was not.

They called a tech who works for Lexus, he said to unplug the battery for 30 minutes and then plug it back in...My guess its a hard reset? They asked if I want to do it now, I said no.

Do you think I should try unplugging the battery or not? I've heard stories where things stopped working after people unplugged their batteries.
Air suspension? I missing something here.
Old 01-25-15, 07:37 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Totally agree!

Maybe a different shop.
Nah, no more shops. I'm taking it to dealer next Saturday. Enough experiments. If dealer will say my shocks are gone and I need to spend $2K+ for repairs,then I will buy the coilovers again, either RS-R or the other ones that support the AVS.

Originally Posted by Shinedown
Air suspension? I missing something here.
That's how Toyota's techstream software identifies these types of shocks

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 01-25-15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-25-15, 07:43 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

I'd appreciate If somone with SPORT+ mode can do a small test for me.

1. Start the car

2. Switch to Sport mode

3. Switch to Sport+ mode.

Do you hear a buzzing sound coming from your trunk area when you do that? Because I don't, yet all 4 motors spin when I turn the car on. It's got to be my shocks.
Old 01-25-15, 08:08 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd appreciate If somone with SPORT+ mode can do a small test for me.

1. Start the car

2. Switch to Sport mode

3. Switch to Sport+ mode.

Do you hear a buzzing sound coming from your trunk area when you do that? Because I don't, yet all 4 motors spin when I turn the car on. It's got to be my shocks.
How can you tell the motors are spinning?
Old 01-25-15, 08:22 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shinedown
How can you tell the motors are spinning?
I took them off today and watched each one while the car was started. All 4 were spinning. They don't spin when I switch to normal or sport+ though.
Old 01-25-15, 08:52 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

From driver's seat, in my garage, engine not running, and windows down, i hear no sounds from front or rear when switching modes. Curious why your diagnostics isn't showing errors...
Old 01-25-15, 11:53 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
From driver's seat, in my garage, engine not running, and windows down, i hear no sounds from front or rear when switching modes. Curious why your diagnostics isn't showing errors...
Thank you!

I could swear that mine used to make a buzzing type of noise whenever I switched to or from sport+
Old 01-25-15, 04:34 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine not running? Thought the car had to be on and running for it to kick in?

I know I've definitely heard or felt something while driving and switching over to sport s+ mode.
Old 01-26-15, 08:03 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Engine not running? Thought the car had to be on and running for it to kick in?

I know I've definitely heard or felt something while driving and switching over to sport s+ mode.
No actuator sounds on my '14 F Sport, engine running or not. Amazed you're able to hear/feel the changes while driving.
Old 01-31-15, 11:19 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Lexus techs did not find anything wrong with the car they said everything was installed properly. They suggested for me to wait for the car to drop. They have measured the difference, and it comes out to about an inch in the back. I guess I will have to put something heavy in the trunk and help the springs settle.
Old 01-31-15, 11:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus techs did not find anything wrong with the car they said everything was installed properly. They suggested for me to wait for the car to drop. They have measured the difference, and it comes out to about an inch in the back. I guess I will have to put something heavy in the trunk and help the springs settle.
Are the Lexus technicians suggesting that new vehicles coming off the assembly line with newly installed shocks and springs must somehow compress or settle (not seat) for a number of weeks/months under its own weight before reaching the final compression set? What are the springs made of - saltwater taffy? Springs tend to settle with age, but that age is measured in years, not just days or weeks.

I believe that if the springs are seated properly when installed and loaded with normal vehicle weight that the springs are rated at the springs will not settle or compress additionally more than a tiny fraction of an inch, if at all. A properly made tempered compression type spring should not sag until it has become worn-out with fatigue and old age.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-31-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 12:29 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Are the Lexus technicians suggesting that new vehicles coming off the assembly line with newly installed shocks and springs must somehow compress or settle (not seat) for a number of weeks/months under its own weight before reaching the final compression set? What are the springs made of - saltwater taffy? Springs tend to settle with age, but that age is measured in years, not just days or weeks.
I'm not sure what Lexus does at the factory. Most likely they compress springs before they are installed.

I believe that if the springs are seated properly when installed and loaded with normal vehicle weight that the springs are rated at the springs will not settle or compress additionally more than a tiny fraction of an inch, if at all. A properly made tempered compression type spring should not sag until it has become worn-out with fatigue and old age.
The springs are seated properly. Mines are not sagging, it looks like they've expended by an inch. It makes sense if they were laying around for almost a year with no weight.
Old 01-31-15, 01:05 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

how much did you pay for the lift kit... just kidding. yeah that is def not right.
Old 01-31-15, 01:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure what Lexus does at the factory. Most likely they compress springs before they are installed.

The springs are seated properly. Mines are not sagging, it looks like they've expended by an inch. It makes sense if they were laying around for almost a year with no weight.
The springs must be compressed to their preload design in order for them to be installed. Springs are compressed further (beyond their preload set) with the force of driving over bumps or loaded with additional static mass (weight). If the vehicle's mass (weight) upon the spring does not change (increase or decrease), then the spring's length (or height) of its preload design should not change either.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-31-15 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny