GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 07:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Does the dealer have a full technician staff working on Saturdays? Some only have a skeleton service department working on Saturdays, and prefer to only do routine service work like oil/filter changes, tire rotations, etc. Something like your problem will likely require some troubleshooting from an experienced tech. Hope they don't tell you to come back for anything other than your routine 30K service.
Old 01-22-15, 11:36 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Does the dealer have a full technician staff working on Saturdays? Some only have a skeleton service department working on Saturdays, and prefer to only do routine service work like oil/filter changes, tire rotations, etc. Something like your problem will likely require some troubleshooting from an experienced tech. Hope they don't tell you to come back for anything other than your routine 30K service.
Usually they don't do any complex stuff on the weekends, it will be parked at the dealership till Monday for more advanced techs.
Old 01-23-15, 01:41 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch, reminds me of my car after the rubbers were replaced:

Old 01-23-15, 04:51 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^^ My Theory of the shocks not being installed correctly may be the actual part of the problem...

The body sits on the shock.. not the spring...

~ Joe Z
That is somewhat out of context though. The springs are still what holds the body up, not the shocks.
Old 01-23-15, 05:07 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Both springs and shocks hold the body. Shocks may be under less pressure, but they still play a big role. With RS-R coil overs you can raise or lower the car with the spring perch or by adjusting the shock itself.
Old 01-23-15, 05:10 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hube
Ouch, reminds me of my car after the rubbers were replaced:

How long did it take for the car to drop to normal height?
Old 01-23-15, 05:44 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

about 2 months.
Old 01-23-15, 07:55 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

It makes me wonder if this is part of the reason why the F springs never got released for our model. Hope you'll get it fixed right. Good luck.
Old 01-24-15, 10:09 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

- Update -

Went back to the shop today. The techstream diagnostics returned 6 error codes, one of them was 'Air Suspension'. They cleared all the codes and told me to drive for a few hours and then come back.

Oh yea, my TPMS sensors started working

In 2 hours I went back. We connected the car again but this time there were no error codes. We decided to look at the suspension menu. They ran the diagnostics and the car was definitely reading each of 4 AVS motors, the voltage info was showing + other information. We also took one of the motors off and sent a test signal to it, it was rotating.

Now here is what's interesting. According to the techstream screen, all 4 shocks right now are set to 17 MAX, that's the stiffest setting. We tried putting the car in ECO - NORMAL - SPORT - SPORT +, even though the mode was changing the dampening of the shocks was not.

They called a tech who works for Lexus, he said to unplug the battery for 30 minutes and then plug it back in...My guess its a hard reset? They asked if I want to do it now, I said no.

Do you think I should try unplugging the battery or not? I've heard stories where things stopped working after people unplugged their batteries.
Old 01-24-15, 11:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,418 Posts

There should be no issue with disconnecting the battery. It's done often during various service work. I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'hard reset', but I suspect some settings may need to be reset as they might go back to the default setting, and the ECU will likely be reset and the engine will need to relearn as-if it was new, but that's nothing...and actually desirable from time-to-time. I'm surprised they didn't just disconnect the battery without asking...

I find it odd that the AVS motors are now actively rotating the adjustment mechanism yet the shocks themselves are not being adjusted. It's as-if the AVS adjustment mechanism is not attached to the shock's matching mechanism in the top of the rod.

Do you have the 6 error codes? Do you know what happened to cause those 6 error codes?

Last edited by bclexus; 01-24-15 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 01:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
There should be no issue with disconnecting the battery. It's done often during various service work. I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'hard reset', but I suspect some settings may need to be reset as they might go back to the default setting, and the ECU will likely be reset and the engine will need to relearn as-if it was new, but that's nothing...and actually desirable from time-to-time. I'm surprised they didn't just disconnect the battery without asking...

I find it odd that the AVS motors are now actively rotating the adjustment mechanism yet the shocks themselves are not being adjusted. It's as-if the AVS adjustment mechanism is not attached to the shock's matching mechanism in the top of the rod.

Do you have the 6 error codes? Do you know what happened to cause those 6 error codes?
I'm going to try disconnecting the battery tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

Yeah the codes that I remember were for, AFS, NightView, TPMS, Air Suspension and few other ones that I forgot. I caused the AFS errors when I did not plugin my headlights correctly. The NightView is generated because I have different headlights right now, without the infrared sensors. TPMS codes were there because I drove without them for almost a year. And suspension threw a few codes because those motors were not installed I assume.
Old 01-24-15, 06:16 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Is it still high? Can't see how the stiffness of the shock is affecting ride height...
Old 01-24-15, 06:41 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Is it still high? Can't see how the stiffness of the shock is affecting ride height...
Yeah, still high as someone pointed out in this thread, it may take 2 months to drop. Time will tell...
Old 01-24-15, 09:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Yeah, still high as someone pointed out in this thread, it may take 2 months to drop. Time will tell...
I know this may be difficult but that's bogus..

When shocks and springs are installed new at the factory, the car does not role off the line that way..

Same scenario if you we're to replace one new shock or spring after a few years..

Your car wouldn't sit lopsided..

Something is wrong and it needs the right set of hands to fix it..!!

Joe Z
Old 01-24-15, 09:32 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I know this may be difficult but that's bogus..

When shocks and springs are installed new at the factory, the car does not role off the line that way..

Same scenario if you we're to replace one new shock or spring after a few years..

Your car wouldn't sit lopsided..

Something is wrong and it needs the right set of hands to fix it..!!

Joe Z
I agree, disconnect that battery, I done it when I was replacing my battery no issue.

Quick Reply: So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny