GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 01:01 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

But does the AVS affect the ride height that much, if at all?
Old 01-22-15, 02:02 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
But does the AVS affect the ride height that much, if at all?
My guess is shocks are too stiff and locked at that height
Old 01-22-15, 02:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
My guess is shocks are too stiff and locked at that height
If the shocks are somehow locked (meaning they were locked in one position and cannot move in or out) then the car's ride would be extremely brutal because the only 'give' would be from the tires.
Old 01-22-15, 02:56 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
If the shocks are somehow locked (meaning they were locked in one position and cannot move in or out) then the car's ride would be extremely brutal because the only 'give' would be from the tires.
No the shocks are moving, but they are locked in Sport+, which is stiff. Think of it this way, the shocks were taken off the car so they expended. Then put back while the car was still hanging on the lift. AVS was suppose to adjust the stiffness of the shocks, but its stopped working for whatever reason. So, when the car was dropped on the ground, shocks did not fully compress. I think if I fix the AVS, the car will go down an inch.
Old 01-22-15, 04:23 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

No the shocks are moving, but they are locked in Sport+, which is stiff. Think of it this way, the shocks were taken off the car so they expended. Then put back while the car was still hanging on the lift. AVS was suppose to adjust the stiffness of the shocks, but its stopped working for whatever reason. So, when the car was dropped on the ground, shocks did not fully compress. I think if I fix the AVS, the car will go down an inch.
The theory of shocks is that the stiffness is not related to the travel, just how quickly they compress and rebound. In its stiffest setting it would only take a matter of seconds for it to compress just as much as in its softest setting. Unless they lock up or are the wrong shocks, only the springs effect the ride height assuming everything is properly mounted. And honestly, unless everything is brand new, there is nothing that should take any time to settle.
Old 01-22-15, 04:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The theory of shocks is that the stiffness is not related to the travel, just how quickly they compress and rebound. In its stiffest setting it would only take a matter of seconds for it to compress just as much as in its softest setting. Unless they lock up or are the wrong shocks, only the springs effect the ride height assuming everything is properly mounted. And honestly, unless everything is brand new, there is nothing that should take any time to settle.
Totally agree on all said. The shocks do not affect the height in which the body sits above the chassis, the springs do. The shocks absorb and dampen. You can move the shock's piston in or out along its travel path within the housing and stop at some place - the rod will stay put.
Old 01-22-15, 05:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

springs affect the height, shocks shouldn't
Old 01-22-15, 05:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^^ My Theory of the shocks not being installed correctly may be the actual part of the problem...

The body sits on the shock.. not the spring...

Below is an IS250 (same thing)

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-22-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 05:49 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

^^^ the rear shocks are definitely installed correctly in the lower rear control arms. I also checked the top part today from inside the trunk. I did not see anything unusual, except for the fact that AVS motors are dead and the shocks are very stiff. I tried pushing the car down, but could barely do it. As if someone set the dampening to stiffest setting.
Old 01-22-15, 06:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if you removed the cover and twisted off the AVS motor module - where (how deep) on the threaded shock rod the special winged-ear nut would be. I'm beginning to wonder if the movable AVS motor drive mechanism is even engaging the slot down inside the strut rod. If the special winged-ear nut is threaded too far out toward the end of the threaded shock rod the movable AVS motor mechanism may not reach down inside the rod far enough to engage the slot. The AVS Motor may be working, but there is no physical (mechanical) connection being made.

Also, have you tried to listen with a stethoscope (or screwdriver handle to the ear) to see if you can hear the motor turning (just a quick 1/4 turn of so) if you had someone helping you to move the Drive Mode to Sport+, and then back to Sport or Normal...and back again?

Last edited by bclexus; 01-22-15 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 06:42 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
I wonder if you removed the cover and twisted off the AVS motor module - where (how deep) on the threaded shock rod the special winged-ear nut would be. I'm beginning to wonder if the movable AVS motor drive mechanism is even engaging the slot down inside the strut rod. If the special winged-ear nut is threaded too far out toward the end of the threaded shock rod the movable AVS motor mechanism may not reach down inside the rod far enough to engage the slot. The AVS Motor may be working, but there is no physical (mechanical) connection being made.

Also, have you tried to listen with a stethoscope (or screwdriver handle to the ear) to see if you can hear the motor turning (just a quick 1/4 turn of so) if you had someone helping you to move the Drive Mode to Sport+, and then back to Sport or Normal...and back again?

The AVS motors are not working at all. I took one off the shock today, then switched to Sport+ and back, to see if it was turning, but it was not. I was driving without the AVS for almost a year, maybe there are error codes that need to be cleared by dealer.
Old 01-22-15, 06:49 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ the rear shocks are definitely installed correctly in the lower rear control arms. I also checked the top part today from inside the trunk. I did not see anything unusual, except for the fact that AVS motors are dead and the shocks are very stiff. I tried pushing the car down, but could barely do it. As if someone set the dampening to stiffest setting.
OK.. Were the AVS motors removed and reinstalled during the process..??

Back to my L & R theory as well... Maybe the motors (& shocks) are on the wrong sides...??

Joe Z

P.S. - How did you get the TPMS to work ??
Old 01-22-15, 07:12 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
OK.. Were the AVS motors removed and reinstalled during the process..??

Back to my L & R theory as well... Maybe the motors (& shocks) are on the wrong sides...??

Joe Z

P.S. - How did you get the TPMS to work ??

Nope, I just took one motor off, while it was still connected to the power I did the test. I reinstalled after. I did not see any L & R markings on the motors. Not too sure if shocks had any indications of being L or R

TPMS are still not working the car is falling apart on me. I scheduled a 30K service for next Saturday, I'll point to the light on the dash and play dumb. I just hope the codes are still registered.
Old 01-22-15, 07:13 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, lets see what the dealer says, try to bring it in this Saturday.
Old 01-22-15, 07:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Oh man, lets see what the dealer says, try to bring it in this Saturday.
No loaners they told me I should have called a week in advance. We should get snow this Saturday, maybe there will be some cancellations, I'll try calling in the morning.

Quick Reply: So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny