GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 06:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

woah thats high..i think the rear springs arent seated right on the rubber mounts. are both sides the same height?
Old 01-20-15, 01:17 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returning a car to stock height always does this. I think because the springs have been decompressed for some time, it may take awhile to settle back. I remember when I put the stock springs back into my 3GS, it was like a super 4x4. Hopefully the back settles some more..
Old 01-20-15, 01:30 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yowsah!

I believe the springs need to be clocked in the proper rotation to seat fully inside the perch, maybe they arent quite lined up right? Look for the end of the spring at the top and bottom to be settled into a notch in the perch. Or is the perch itself upside down maybe? Seems very high, and I wouldn't expect it to "settle" out that much.. Did you take it back to whomever did this work?

My disclaimer, I havent worked on the GS suspension in particular, just offering advice from other cars I have worked on, this may not apply, but I think something isnt right here...

Just curious now as someone who has contemplated lowering the car, why did you remove the drop springs and which ones did you have?
Old 01-20-15, 01:33 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Is it possible they mixed up the front springs with the rear springs?
Old 01-20-15, 01:37 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by praetor
Is it possible they mixed up the front springs with the rear springs?
Not possible.

This thread gave me a good laugh, but I'm curious if this is normal or not as I plan to revert back to stock on my RWD in the near future as well...
Old 01-20-15, 01:49 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by hypnotika
Not possible.

This thread gave me a good laugh, but I'm curious if this is normal or not as I plan to revert back to stock on my RWD in the near future as well...
OK was just wondering. Last time I did springs was on my old Camry and it took a few days for new springs to settle in.
Old 01-20-15, 02:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I'm guessing the springs were not twisted to properly seat in the bottom spring perch.

You can see from the two images below of spring perches how much higher the wheel gap would be if the bottom of the spring had not been twisted to properly seat in the perch.

Old 01-20-15, 02:39 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm guessing the springs were not twisted to properly seat in the bottom spring perch.

You can see from the two images below of spring perches how much higher the wheel gap would be if the bottom of the spring had not been twisted to properly seat in the perch.

My thoughts exactly, as I had stated a few posts ago... thanks for confirming my thoughts here with photographic evidence!!

Yes, mechanics are this sloppy nowadays...sadly.
Old 01-20-15, 04:13 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Look for the dots... Might be hard if they're dirty..

The spring should only work one way..

But if they are upside down, then anything is possible..

Joe Z
Checked for those dots today, they are not upside down. Definitely installed correctly.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
woah thats high..i think the rear springs arent seated right on the rubber mounts. are both sides the same height?
Yeah, both my rears are the same. I wish one side was lower lol then I would know for sure that something is not right.

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Returning a car to stock height always does this. I think because the springs have been decompressed for some time, it may take awhile to settle back. I remember when I put the stock springs back into my 3GS, it was like a super 4x4. Hopefully the back settles some more..
I keep measuring the wheel gap on both sides, so far no changes.

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Yowsah!

I believe the springs need to be clocked in the proper rotation to seat fully inside the perch, maybe they arent quite lined up right? Look for the end of the spring at the top and bottom to be settled into a notch in the perch. Or is the perch itself upside down maybe? Seems very high, and I wouldn't expect it to "settle" out that much.. Did you take it back to whomever did this work?

My disclaimer, I havent worked on the GS suspension in particular, just offering advice from other cars I have worked on, this may not apply, but I think something isnt right here...

Just curious now as someone who has contemplated lowering the car, why did you remove the drop springs and which ones did you have?
I can only see the top of the spring, and it sitting perfect. The perch is in the correct position, not twisted or tilted. The top is definitely good. I don't think its the bottom. I've seen the rear lower control arm dropped on my GS many times. There is no way that you can install the spring incorrectly. If you do manage to put it there incorrectly, then it won't align with the top.

A new born is the reason why I took everything off the car. I've had RS-R coilovers.

I'm definitely going back to the shop this Saturday.
Old 01-20-15, 04:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Is there a L & R specific rear shock absorber??

Another possibility is the Tops of the shocks are not seated correctly.. Therefore not allowing for the car to fully lower onto the rear suspension..

Joe Z
Old 01-20-15, 06:05 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Is there a L & R specific rear shock absorber??

Another possibility is the Tops of the shocks are not seated correctly.. Therefore not allowing for the car to fully lower onto the rear suspension..

Joe Z

I don't think they are side specific. Hmm would be hard to check each shock without a lift. But I would probably hear some knocking noise if both or one shock was not sitting properly? But I will check shocks too, just to be sure.
Old 01-20-15, 06:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Do we have KYB shocks?
Old 01-21-15, 07:16 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

It must be difficult for you to drive your beautiful car around in this stage. Have you thought about loading the trunk to see if it helps settling the springs? It wouldn't hurt to load couple of water softener salt bags in the trunk for couple of days. Also I would try take them off and re-install from a fresh to see if you can replicate the problem. BTW, congrats on the newborn.
Old 01-21-15, 08:14 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

just get drop springs Tim problem solved lol.
Old 01-21-15, 08:19 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
A new born is the reason why I took everything off the car. I've had RS-R coilovers.

I'm definitely going back to the shop this Saturday.
Baby's and coilovers dont mix well ehh?! I would think the lowered ride height would make it easier for them to hop inside!

Keep us posted on what the shop finds please, and best of luck while youre there!

Quick Reply: So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny