GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noise in NY! I hope you save your stock exhaust!

Old 02-20-22, 07:22 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Noise in NY! I hope you save your stock exhaust!

Anyone read about this yet? NY is using cameras with microphones to give noise tickets. Anyone in NY with a loud car had any experience with this?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...m=social-media
Old 02-20-22, 11:22 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

Not surprised about this - personally haven't had any experience with it thankfully my GS is stock and i believe quiet enough to pass. They already got speed cameras everywhere, red light cameras everywhere, strict tint rules and now exhaust mics .

I imagine that even with a loud exhaust, if you're doing the city speed limit (which is 25mph), your exhaust wouldn't trigger that microphone but who knows?? I think its simply to discourage drivers from being reckless.

What's interesting is - where do they intend to put these cams? I have a few guys with a loud exhaust that are always flying down my elderly folks residential block. Eventually, drivers learn where there cams/mics are placed and strategically adapt their (annoying/reckless) driving habits to areas where they won't get caught.
Old 02-21-22, 12:13 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

The ones around me seem to be riding up and down the road with nothing to do, popping their exhausts. All day and night. It's like they are doing it to annoy people.

AJ, they'll ride down Belt towards the city, get off, and run up Shore Road. My in-laws live on Shore Road and it's like a race track with these guys.

The city can put all cameras to issue violations. These guys don't care whether they get tickets or not.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 12:17 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

A fellow GS owner (the Buick ones, not the Lexus ones) that lives in NY says it is because of the idiots that have their cars tuned to sound like automatic gun fire. Them and coal rollers belong in the 9th circle of Hades.
AJLex19 (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 01:40 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300Es
The ones around me seem to be riding up and down the road with nothing to do, popping their exhausts. All day and night. It's like they are doing it to annoy people.
AJ, they'll ride down Belt towards the city, get off, and run up Shore Road. My in-laws live on Shore Road and it's like a race track with these guys.
The city can put all cameras to issue violations. These guys don't care whether they get tickets or not.
Or they have ways of getting around the tickets - either way, you're 1000% right. There is a guy with an infiniti Q70 with what sounds like an exhaust that belongs on the Nissan GT-R..its so loud and annoying that I'd personally feel embarrassed in public if my luxury, 4 door sedan sounded like that...its just wrong on so many levels.
SC300Es (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 04:20 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Also, on the Citizen app, people report gunshots. They usually end up being a car..lol
AJLex19 (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 06:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts

Just FYI: Most 4 cyl cars and some of the V6 cars with loud exhaust, can buy a specific ECU Tune to go with loud exhaust that is called a Pops and Bang Tune, or Crackle and Bangs Tune. On cars that have straight pipe and removed Cats, it can also result in some shockingly crazy fireballs too. With actual louder than gunshot noise. I think it's stupid personally myself.

Believe it or not, it's even trended over to really high dollar sport car owners like Porsche, Ferrari's, and others. I have a Tune on my car right now with some quiet exhaust mods and the Tanabe cat back. Myself and 2 other GS350 owners here on CL all run the same tune. My car and another are not much louder than stock, just a bit deeper. In the reverse case, a good Tune will actually quite the exhaust down. This was the case with my car, the other GS350 and a IS F that we meet with sometimes here local. All confirmed that our Tunes actually made the exhaust sound more quiet on our cars. So they can be Tuned either way.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/crack...op-ecu-tuning/
SC300Es (02-22-22)
Old 02-21-22, 08:07 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Also, on the Citizen app, people report gunshots. They usually end up being a car..lol
YES! Dude with the Infiniti with the stupid exhaust I mentioned seems to "save up" his "gunshots" for when he turns the corner on a residential block...unbelievable

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just FYI: Most 4 cyl cars and some of the V6 cars with loud exhaust, can buy a specific ECU Tune to go with loud exhaust that is called a Pops and Bang Tune, or Crackle and Bangs Tune. On cars that have straight pipe and removed Cats, it can also result in some shockingly crazy fireballs too. With actual louder than gunshot noise. I think it's stupid personally myself.

Believe it or not, it's even trended over to really high dollar sport car owners like Porsche, Ferrari's, and others. I have a Tune on my car right now with some quiet exhaust mods and the Tanabe cat back. Myself and 2 other GS350 owners here on CL all run the same tune. My car and another are not much louder than stock, just a bit deeper. In the reverse case, a good Tune will actually quite the exhaust down. This was the case with my car, the other GS350 and a IS F that we meet with sometimes here local. All confirmed that our Tunes actually made the exhaust sound more quiet on our cars. So they can be Tuned either way.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/crack...op-ecu-tuning/
A deeper tone on the exhaust is certainly different than just an annoyingly, excessively loud exhaust. I don't mind it - the other day a gentleman with a BMW 540i had a very deep tone on his exhaust as I drove near him on the west side highway, but it suited the car perfectly (just as i'm sure your tune/exhaust does for your GS).

If you're at a car show or at some kind of videoshoot or event I understand the showmanship, but otherwise the exhausts these guys are running seem just absolutely absurd.
Old 02-21-22, 08:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJLex19
YES! Dude with the Infiniti with the stupid exhaust I mentioned seems to "save up" his "gunshots" for when he turns the corner on a residential block...unbelievable

A deeper tone on the exhaust is certainly different than just an annoyingly, excessively loud exhaust. I don't mind it - the other day a gentleman with a BMW 540i had a very deep tone on his exhaust as I drove near him on the west side highway, but it suited the car perfectly (just as i'm sure your tune/exhaust does for your GS).

If you're at a car show or at some kind of videoshoot or event I understand the showmanship, but otherwise the exhausts these guys are running seem just absolutely absurd.
AJ, I grew up in NY, but now in Atlanta. Gwinnett County. Fri, Sat night is like a race car track event here out in the streets. It's like the louder the better to them. 4 Bangers WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Now the Pops. When I 1st started hearing lots of them my 1st thought was they have the exhaust all wrong. Then I became antiquated with the new new in exhaust, straight pipe.

Here it's just as bad, I've seen ppl duck with the Gunfire exhaust sound. One of my young friends has a loud car GS too. He was over my house one Sat night. He said, oh it's like that here! He left my house and I heard him 1/4 mile away. lol. I can't stand it myself. My Tanabe and Resonators were chosen by Decibel noise test. Highest flow.... with the lowest noise db reading. It's sometimes is not even louder than Stock. Funny thing is years ago testing showed that with the right exhaust, Not the Loudest Mufflers and Exhaust, made the most hp.
Old 02-21-22, 10:51 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Land of the free wasn’t it?
Old 02-22-22, 07:01 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Burble tunes and cat/muffler delete - they dump fuel when you let off the gas, causing the car to backfire twice as loud as the actual exhaust under load.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 02-22-22 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-22-22, 07:40 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by panyo64
Burble tunes and cat/muffler delete - they dump fuel when you let off the gas, causing the car to backfire twice as loud as the actual exhaust under load.

https://youtu.be/y4mXEZUtI1w?t=265
Lock these guys up. It adds nothing to performance and surely violates emissions laws. I'm certainly not a law-and-order "Karen" type but these people are being obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious. It violates my "Don't be an icehole" rule.

I feel the same way about the guy that drives down my street at 1AM with his thumping bass that rattles my windows. He lives close to me because he turns it down right before he turns into his neighborhood. I'm sure his parents have complained about it is why he knows for sure it is an annoyance.
Old 02-22-22, 07:54 AM
dkraines
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoy Taylor's videos like the next guy, but I'm glad I don't live near him.

Old 02-22-22, 03:34 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

A few months ago one of these guys in an M3 was behind me at a light. A normal, NYC residential street. The light turns green, he stays back.
As I reach a little more than half way down the block he takes off. Why, so he can step on the gas, let it go, step on the gas, let it go until he catches up to me. And all you hear is the gunshots each time he does that.

I don’t see the attraction unless all you want is to have people look at you. Not with envy, but anger..lol
Old 02-22-22, 05:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Mom didn't give me enough attention as a kid?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise in NY! I hope you save your stock exhaust!