GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 01:36 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^^ not sure what to say. I was hoping for the dealer to find the problem, but they all said the same thing that everything is fine. I'm just out of options here at this point. Someone in this thread said that it took 2 months for his car to drop to normal height, maybe mine will too eventually.
Old 01-31-15, 02:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^^ not sure what to say. I was hoping for the dealer to find the problem, but they all said the same thing that everything is fine. I'm just out of options here at this point. Someone in this thread said that it took 2 months for his car to drop to normal height, maybe mine will too eventually.
I'd like someone to explain what 'settles'. Springs don't somehow magically shorten or compress after being installed on the shock/strut for a period of few days, weeks or months. Let's hope they don't! The springs are made of high tensile spring steel and are designed specifically for a particular preload mass, force range and travel distance. The springs will not settle. There may be a bit of change (drop) if a spring is not installed correctly in the perch and rotates to seek the proper position after a period of driving, but the springs themselves will not settle (sag, shorten or compress).
Old 01-31-15, 02:22 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'd like someone to explain what 'settles'. Springs don't somehow magically shorten or compress after being installed on the shock/strut for a period of few days, weeks or months. Let's hope they don't! The springs are made of high tensile spring steel and are designed specifically for a particular preload mass, force range and travel distance. The springs will not settle. There may be a bit of change (drop) if a spring is not installed correctly in the perch and rotates to seek the proper position after a period of driving, but the springs themselves will not settle (sag, shorten or compress).
Thank you. I said that a while back and so did someone else. You don't see lots full of new cars that are right off the boat sitting up. Something is clearly not right with the car.
Old 01-31-15, 02:24 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

I understand. But the way the suspention components are set up on this car, makes it impossible for for the spring not to install properly. Below is the picture of the car's body, this is where the top of the spring goes, the lower control arm has something similar. As you can see there is no way you can install it incorrectly.

Old 01-31-15, 02:27 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not sure what Lexus does at the factory. Most likely they compress springs before they are installed.

The springs are seated properly. Mines are not sagging, it looks like they've expended by an inch. It makes sense if they were laying around for almost a year with no weight.
I went back and read you first post and was not clear. I assume you put the original springs back in. Is that correct? If so, that is all the more reason that the "it will settle" statement makes no sense.
Old 01-31-15, 02:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I went back and read you first post and was not clear. I assume you put the original springs back in. Is that correct? If so, that is all the more reason that the "it will settle" statement makes no sense.
Yes, original springs are installed.

It does not make sense to me either, but all mechanics even at Lexus are saying the same thing.
Old 01-31-15, 03:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It does not make sense to me either, but all mechanics even at Lexus are saying the same thing.
The only things with the suspension that can alter or change the ride height (i.e. wheel gap) when re-installing the same exact OEM springs and shocks/struts are (1) the springs were not correctly rotated to fit properly in the spring bracket perch, (2) suspension bushings could need to compress a tiny bit, or (3) a significant amount of weight (mass/load) has been taken off the springs. As you can see, none of these things have anything to do with the spring itself 'settling' - the closest to anything settling would be suspension bushings, which are a non-issue in this case.

Going down an entirely different path, a change in tire size, with sidewall dimensions being the most important, could have a small impact on fender gap. Also, tread depth wear (new versus worn) can amount to as much as 5/16" difference.

There is one thing I know - don't count on those Toyota/Lexus OEM springs to change their designed rate and soften, sag, or settle. If the wheel gap reduces any, it won't be the spring ratings that magically change.
Old 01-31-15, 07:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious - did the installer re-tighten any suspension pivot points (control arms, strut mounts, roll/sway bar, etc.) with the car up off the ground on a lift but with the suspension still dropped or unloaded? That's a no-no...and this is the very reason why some people's car takes a while to [so-called] 'settle' after changing springs - it is not the springs settling, but instead the tight pivot point bolts that were tightened without the car's weight loaded on the suspension.
Old 02-01-15, 06:45 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

I'm curious - did the installer re-tighten any suspension pivot points (control arms, strut mounts, roll/sway bar, etc.) with the car up off the ground on a lift but with the suspension still dropped or unloaded? That's a no-no...and this is the very reason why some people's car takes a while to [so-called] 'settle' after changing springs - it is not the springs settling, but instead the tight pivot point bolts that were tightened without the car's weight loaded on the suspension.
I was not there when they did the install. My guess is yeah, the car was still on the lift.
Old 02-01-15, 08:05 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the newborn! I, too, had a newborn when I bought my GS. I couldn't keep it stock with that wheel gap though. CL actually made my decision easier since most said Tanabes feel like stock. Plus if it was too rough for my baby, I would have just gone back to stock. I actually think my baby sleeps better with a slightly rougher ride. If I were you, I'd put back the coil-overs and dial it to your softest setting. I had to lol hard when I saw the pic of your car on page 1. That wheel gap is as big as the Mercedes SUV behind you. Too bad you sold your rear Lexon diffuser. And too bad I missed out on it. Lol. Good luck in figuring out your suspension problem. There's definitely something wrong.
Old 02-01-15, 09:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm amazed that it's still high, actually more amazed your dealer said it was normal.
Old 02-01-15, 10:02 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

I put 5 bags of sand in the trunk, the car looks normal now. The front is still a little too high, but nothing I can do about that. I guess I will drive the car with sand in the trunk for a few weeks, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Old 02-01-15, 10:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The front is still a little too high, but nothing I can do about that.
This will close the wheel gap on the front.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-01-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-01-15, 10:52 AM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roflmfao
Old 02-01-15, 11:28 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by obturator
Congrats on the newborn! I, too, had a newborn when I bought my GS. I couldn't keep it stock with that wheel gap though. CL actually made my decision easier since most said Tanabes feel like stock. Plus if it was too rough for my baby, I would have just gone back to stock. I actually think my baby sleeps better with a slightly rougher ride. If I were you, I'd put back the coil-overs and dial it to your softest setting. I had to lol hard when I saw the pic of your car on page 1. That wheel gap is as big as the Mercedes SUV behind you. Too bad you sold your rear Lexon diffuser. And too bad I missed out on it. Lol. Good luck in figuring out your suspension problem. There's definitely something wrong.
at this point I'd be happy to put my old coils back, but I sold them as well. I just placed 5 bags of sand in the trunk, if that won't help, then I'm going back to coilovers.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I'm amazed that it's still high, actually more amazed your dealer said it was normal.
Yeah lol well, they did not say the height was normal. They told me that it's higher by 1 inch, but all the parts are installed correctly.
They were scratching their heads just like the guys who did the install.

This will close the wheel gap on the front.

That might do the trick. I need to find a lady like that to sit on the hood for 2 - 4 hours.

Quick Reply: So I put the stock suspension back, but now the rear looks funny