GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 ML questions for all you audiophiles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 09:48 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to extract uncompressed DVD-A tracks to a multi-channel WAV, but as previously mentioned on this forum, the stereo will not read a multi-channel WAV file even if you rename the file.

It was fun messing around with all this, but the bottom line is my DVD-A's sound great, even though they are "only" Dolby Digital.
Old 01-20-15, 03:42 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to here you guys got your ML system to play some good sounding tunes.

Froze my butt of sitting in a COLD garage playing around with various formats.

On my 2014 it doesn't matter if Autoplay is on or off, all my Video disks play just Fine when moving. The same goes for DVD-A's playing that contain a other tracks.

Noticed that some disks give you a choice of which track to play. e.g. DD vs DD surround, DD VS LPCM, ETC. once the disk is playing, which proved interesting. Although I wish the system always told you which stream is actually playing.
The sound quality difference can be stunning using my examples DD Sounded better, and LPCM stereo sounded excellent!

Lot more work to do to sort out which stream is actually playing, what's on the disk and best way to burn my own music.

As for .wav files someone in another thread mentioned wav files won't work unless you change the file extension to ?? This is back burner work so it will take me some time, but I look forward to the challenge.
Sounds like each model yr. works a little different though?
Old 01-20-15, 06:04 PM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by 99alta
Glad to here you guys got your ML system to play some good sounding tunes.

Froze my butt of sitting in a COLD garage playing around with various formats.

On my 2014 it doesn't matter if Autoplay is on or off, all my Video disks play just Fine when moving. The same goes for DVD-A's playing that contain a other tracks.

Noticed that some disks give you a choice of which track to play. e.g. DD vs DD surround, DD VS LPCM, ETC. once the disk is playing, which proved interesting. Although I wish the system always told you which stream is actually playing.
The sound quality difference can be stunning using my examples DD Sounded better, and LPCM stereo sounded excellent!

Lot more work to do to sort out which stream is actually playing, what's on the disk and best way to burn my own music.

As for .wav files someone in another thread mentioned wav files won't work unless you change the file extension to ?? This is back burner work so it will take me some time, but I look forward to the challenge.
Sounds like each model yr. works a little different though?
I changed the wave files to a WMA extension, but still wasn't recognized by the stereo. I too wish there was a display showing the track info, similar to what I had in my 2007 LS.
Old 01-21-15, 12:19 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I ripped a 6 channel AC3 track and encoded it into a Dolby DTS wav file, burned to a CD. The HU recognizes the CD, but no audio. I may try again and just use Dolby Digital instead of DTS with a different encoding suite, but I think I've hit a limitation. Will post results if/when I manage to do it.
Old 01-21-15, 05:01 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I ripped a 6 channel AC3 track and encoded it into a Dolby DTS wav file, burned to a CD. The HU recognizes the CD, but no audio. I may try again and just use Dolby Digital instead of DTS with a different encoding suite, but I think I've hit a limitation. Will post results if/when I manage to do it.
I think that DTS is clearly not supported.

I ripped the 96KHz/24 bit PCM streams to a multi-channel wave and no dice. I'm done with messing around with this, and I will enjoy the DD surround of my DVD-A's with pleasure.

Just ordered Rush Moving Pictures, Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rear Mirror, and Bach's Brandenburg Concertos on DVD-A from Amazon, which has a very good selection.
Old 01-22-15, 12:31 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ckelly14
I think that DTS is clearly not supported.

I ripped the 96KHz/24 bit PCM streams to a multi-channel wave and no dice. I'm done with messing around with this, and I will enjoy the DD surround of my DVD-A's with pleasure.

Just ordered Rush Moving Pictures, Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rear Mirror, and Bach's Brandenburg Concertos on DVD-A from Amazon, which has a very good selection.
Yep, well, at least we learned some important things by poking around on the "black box" that is the ML system in this car. I sure wish Lexus would get with the program and document the $1380 option for us audiophiles, or well, anyone asking about a system they tout as handling discrete surround sound.
Old 02-15-15, 02:17 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

I've been doing some 24/96khz rips from vinyl to flac and finally got a method to get the car to play it. I bought a temp license for the Cirlinca Solo Ultra which converts flac or whatever to DVD. Tried making a DVD audio disc first, head unit wouldn't read it. However, I also made a video dvd complete with titles / chapters by dropping albums in different groups. Head unit loved it, played it with no problems and it seamlessly skips between songs and albums. Also, if I am in park, I can navigate the menu and choose a specific song.

Big win today, now I'm tempted to do the same with some multichannel 5.1 flac files I have and see if I can get surround out of it using the same method.

If anyone has questions, fire away.
Old 02-16-15, 10:54 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update:

I've been doing some 24/96khz rips from vinyl to flac and finally got a method to get the car to play it. I bought a temp license for the Cirlinca Solo Ultra which converts flac or whatever to DVD. Tried making a DVD audio disc first, head unit wouldn't read it. However, I also made a video dvd complete with titles / chapters by dropping albums in different groups. Head unit loved it, played it with no problems and it seamlessly skips between songs and albums. Also, if I am in park, I can navigate the menu and choose a specific song.

Big win today, now I'm tempted to do the same with some multichannel 5.1 flac files I have and see if I can get surround out of it using the same method.

If anyone has questions, fire away.
Excellent, what format did the program lay down the tracks in?

Lately I've been too busy with life to play around with much.

However I was thinking along your lines. I've got a program called Disc Welder Chrome that will rip tracks and lay them down however I want. Used it to frequently to rip from pretty much any source and lay down DVD-A tracks or huge DVD's full of the highest quality MP3's.

Hopefully I have a copy of the program kicking around in my archives, as those Pro tools aren't cheap!
Old 02-17-15, 07:29 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

The format, I kept as source, so in my case, it converted the stereo FLAC files in 24/96 to 2 channel PCM. For fun, I also had some 5.1 surround FLAC files and mixed them in on the video DVD I authored. Came out just fine with each channel where it belongs.

The only drawback I've seen to surround mixes is that thanks to Dolby Digital trying to squeeze multichannel audio through a small pipe, the sound files are capped at 20hz, hard, just like a CD. My vinyl rips don't have this limitation, nor do the stereo PCM tracks on audio DVD's.

So my vote is for Cirlinca Solo Ultra. You can buy a one month license for cheap and dump alot of stuff to DVD video discs. Don't bother with DVD-A. I think they also sell annual licenses or whatever as well, but I just wanted a known good program that did exactly what I wanted it to do that others had proven works with the ML system. That's what I got.

Old 10-20-16, 11:37 AM
Anatoliy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The format, I kept as source, so in my case, it converted the stereo FLAC files in 24/96 to 2 channel PCM. For fun, I also had some 5.1 surround FLAC files and mixed them in on the video DVD I authored. Came out just fine with each channel where it belongs.

The only drawback I've seen to surround mixes is that thanks to Dolby Digital trying to squeeze multichannel audio through a small pipe, the sound files are capped at 20hz, hard, just like a CD. My vinyl rips don't have this limitation, nor do the stereo PCM tracks on audio DVD's.

So my vote is for Cirlinca Solo Ultra. You can buy a one month license for cheap and dump alot of stuff to DVD video discs. Don't bother with DVD-A. I think they also sell annual licenses or whatever as well, but I just wanted a known good program that did exactly what I wanted it to do that others had proven works with the ML system. That's what I got.

U can try to convert 5.1/7.1 (24/16bit) PCM (wav, flac) files into PRO LOGIC || (2 channel) encoded wav files and play them from USB with surround sound DSP option enabled on ML systems. This works well on 2 generation IS! The surround sound (PRO LOGIC) option should be able to decode 5.1 encoded stream from 2ch source. Theoretically this should sound better then DTS-CDs if the files are losses 24/192khz,

Last edited by Anatoliy; 10-20-16 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 02:20 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Nice suggestion, but most of the stuff I listen to now is 2 channel needle drops from my turntable so the surround stuff fell off my radar. It's still great hearing 24/96 or 24/192 stereo coming out of the ML system.
Old 10-22-16, 11:17 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as the original question posted....going to the system menu and turning off auto start playback has allowed DVD-A's to play in both my prior 2015 GS with stock sound system and my new 2016 F-Sport with ML sound system. The only difference I notice is on the '16 with ML sound, the screen goes blank as soon as the car moves so I cannot see tracks, etc. But sound plays fine. Go figure!