GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally bought one! Initial thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 05:07 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally bought one! Initial thoughts...

Finally took the plunge and picked up a fully loaded new Starfire Pearl with Grey interior from a dealer about 2 hours out of town. Initially special ordered by one of the salesmen but he went with another car instead. Here she is:

Options include: Luxury Pk with Rear Heated Seats and Cold Weather pack, BSM, Lane Keep, HUD, ML, one touch trunk, Park assist, PCS, Spoiler with body molding

PROS:
Interior is incredible with the linear expresso wood.
Seats: best I have ever sat in, including my previous LS
Rear spoiler
19" superchromed f-sport wheel- at least the way they look.
Dynamic radar cruise control- drove for about 90 mins on a moderately busy highway and did not touch the gas or brake once. Seriously.
Incredibly fun to drive this car!

CONS:
Road noise: I understand this is a sports car compared to the LS cruiser that I had, but the road noise was substaitially increased. Not sure if it's the new 19" wheels, the Michelin Primacy MXM tires, or the fact that the tires were hyperinflated to 54 psi by the dealership. The ride was very good, except road joints where there was quite a thump. All of these were much more than the used 2013 GS I drove with previous luxury 18" tires.
Lane Keep Assist and HUD: not worth the money, at least for me.

Not sure about:
ML stereo: almost cried the sound was so bad from this stereo at first- everything was coming from the center channel with absolutely no sound presence at all. I turned off surround sound and, Bingo, it improved things immensely. I think I read that DVD-A's don't work, but I also burned a DD track to a DVD and that did not work either, first 5 secs of the song kept repeating. Hope I can get these to work, since those 5 secs sounded great!
Body side molding: not sure how I feel about these,but they are easily removed

I'll think of more as time goes on.
Old 01-18-15, 05:13 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats! Woah, get that PSI down and it'll make a big difference. I don't think you need anything higher than 34-36 PSI.
Old 01-18-15, 05:27 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice car and review. I have two comments. 54 lbs of air is an absurd amount for the dealer to have put in the tires. The difference when you back that down should be night and day.

HUD...after a few months drive a car without it. I'm betting you will have a different opinion after you become used to it. Our Lexus is the only car I've had for a few years without it, and it's my wife's car that I typically drive on weekends. Not having HUD bugs me within a1/4 of a mile of driving it.

Last edited by jjscsix; 01-18-15 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-18-15, 05:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats!
Drop the tire pressure and you'll have a much better ride quality.
19's look better but the ride is a bit harsher over the 18's.

I don't like the look of the side molding,though.
Old 01-18-15, 06:18 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Congrats!
Drop the tire pressure and you'll have a much better ride quality.
19's look better but the ride is a bit harsher over the 18's.

I don't like the look of the side molding,though.
I dropped the pressure but haven't fully tested it yet. I knew that the ride wasn't going to be as good with the 19's, but I wanted the luxury package and that's what they come with these days.

I have to agree about the moldings. I assume they're pretty easy to remove.
Old 01-18-15, 06:28 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!

HUD should be on every car. Seriously awesome. Especially when you start seeing the directions from nav or music changes come up on it.

MEAHT
Old 01-18-15, 06:42 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Congrats!

HUD should be on every car. Seriously awesome. Especially when you start seeing the directions from nav or music changes come up on it.

MEAHT
Directions are tough to see during the day with sunglasses. I can still see the MPH, but it does seem to reduce the practicality of this feature.
Old 01-18-15, 06:46 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Congrats on the purchase nice find.
Old 01-18-15, 08:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

Personally for me, the side moldings would have to go. But, I'd have to know (for sure) before I purchased if they could be removed without any damage. I assume they are taped on without fasteners. Do you know?

Enjoy!
Old 01-18-15, 09:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Congrats on the new car.

Personally for me, the side moldings would have to go. But, I'd have to know (for sure) before I purchased if they could be removed without any damage. I assume they are taped on without fasteners. Do you know?

Enjoy!
Stick on.
Careful use with a heat gun or using a hair blower should make for a easy uninstall.
Maybe followed by some 3M adhesive remover if necessary.
Old 01-18-15, 09:46 AM
dinachroek
Driver School Candidate

if i can go to the dealer and have them add HUD on my gs for 900....I would go there right now...i really love that feature!
Old 01-18-15, 10:00 AM
ckelly14
Driver

I have a heat gun, but would hate to screw this up. 3m adhesive remover- hardware store?
Old 01-18-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Congrats! Thats a special GS with radar cruise and all, not many of them that loaded around.

I too would loose the side moldings. I'll also be interested to know your thoughts on ride and noise once you drive it more with the pressure down. 54 is a TERRIBLE pressure...but I don't know that reducing the pressure will specifically help noise, it will help ride. The Primacy MXM4 is what I had before I replaced them with the Toyos the other day, but they were always quiet except for on really coarse pavement.

If I bought a 2015 luxury I might have to consider swapping for the 18s. The 19s look better I agree, but the firm ride of the F Sport isn't for me. Essentially now thats an F Sport.
Old 01-18-15, 10:53 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey congrats, your vehicle looks great. You are deck'd out with all the options. I too would remove the moldings, it makes the car look like an ES. A nice tint and you are good to go

I cannot believe the dealer let you drive off with 54 psi, thats down right criminal if you ask me. That is 21 psi over factory recommendations. If you were to hit a sharp abrasion in the road at high speeds you could rip that sucker right open on the side wall.
Old 01-18-15, 11:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

I agree with the others about the tremendously high tire psi. What was the dealer's service department thinking? It makes me wonder what else the dealer screwed up or overlooked. There is absolutely zero excuse for the tires to have anywhere within 15 psi of 54 psi. That was deliberately done - but why?

Quick Reply: Finally bought one! Initial thoughts...