GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally bought one! Initial thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 11:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ckelly14
I have a heat gun, but would hate to screw this up. 3m adhesive remover- hardware store?
Might be better off using a hair blower.
Auto parts stores should have 3M adhesive remover.
Old 01-18-15, 11:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I have a heat gun, but would hate to screw this up. 3m adhesive remover- hardware store?
THIS is the type of tape that is used for adhesive applied body side moldings.

HERE is your adhesive cleaner/remover, but I suspect Goo Gone or something similar would work just as well.
Old 01-18-15, 11:39 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dropped the pressure but haven't fully tested it yet. I knew that the ride wasn't going to be as good with the 19's, but I wanted the luxury package and that's what they come with these days.

I have to agree about the moldings. I assume they're pretty easy to remove.
Nice ride !! Although the mouldings don't look too cool, you might be happy when you see someone bang their door into your car !?

Mine GS came with 19" wheels and Michelins. Stout ride and can feel and hear all the road imprefectioms. I'm not complaining as it's still a good ride.

However when I bought new OEM wheels ( that look identical but are 18") and Michelin Ice-X 3's I could not belive the difference in the ride! I was expecting more noise as they are winter tires. But in fact the ride is much smoother, soaks up the road imprefectioms and is quieter! All tires set at 34 psi.
Old 01-19-15, 04:33 PM
ckelly14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
Nice ride !! Although the mouldings don't look too cool, you might be happy when you see someone bang their door into your car !?

Mine GS came with 19" wheels and Michelins. Stout ride and can feel and hear all the road imprefectioms. I'm not complaining as it's still a good ride.

However when I bought new OEM wheels ( that look identical but are 18") and Michelin Ice-X 3's I could not belive the difference in the ride! I was expecting more noise as they are winter tires. But in fact the ride is much smoother, soaks up the road imprefectioms and is quieter! All tires set at 34 psi.
Happy to say the banging over ruts and road noise is substantially improved with normal tire pressures. Don't have to run out for 18" wheels just yet. You purchased your wheels from Lexus?
Old 01-19-15, 05:14 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Happy to say the banging over ruts and road noise is substantially improved with normal tire pressures. Don't have to run out for 18" wheels just yet. You purchased your wheels from Lexus?
just curious, did you ask the dealer why the psi was so high ?
Old 01-19-15, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

They actually set the PSI that high for transport on the ship, truck, rail, etc so the tires don't flat spot. The dealer is supposed to reduce the pressure during the PDI, often they forget.

I've test driven LOTS of cars with PSI in the tires over 50.
Old 01-19-15, 06:21 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Contrarian advice on body side moldings

Congratulations OP! I have the exact color combination; also on a Luxury package, and you’ll love the nighttime ambiance interior light show on the light grey interior. It’s stunning.

Also have the side moldings and suggest you keep them for a week. Like everything else, they’ll “disappear” after a couple of days. BTW, they’re glued on with double sided tape and I’d wait for a hot day to remove with a heat gun.
Old 01-19-15, 07:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
They actually set the PSI that high for transport on the ship, truck, rail, etc so the tires don't flat spot. The dealer is supposed to reduce the pressure during the PDI, often they forget.

I've test driven LOTS of cars with PSI in the tires over 50.
Hope that dealer doesn't make the same dumb, stupid mistake with [say] no engine oil after an oil change. There is absolutely ZERO excuse (repeat ZERO excuse) for any car to ever be on the dealer's lot for delivery, customers to test drive or to purchase that has 50 psi in the tires. ZERO!!!

Last edited by bigblack06; 01-19-15 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-19-15, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

bigblack06 - I didn't realize that the word 'dumbass' (that you edited-out of my above post) was considered offensive language when not directed at a specific person or member.

There are 439 Threads with the word 'dumbass' in them...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-19-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 07:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
bigblack06 - I didn't realize that the word 'dumbass' (that you edited-out of my above post) was considered offensive language when not directed at a specific person or member. There are 439 Threads with the word 'dumbass' in them...
Cut bigblack06 some slack. He's the new sheriff in town.
Old 01-19-15, 07:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Cut bigblack06 some slack. He's the new sheriff in town.
Look who used the word 'dumbass' HERE
Old 01-19-15, 08:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Look who used the word 'dumbass' HERE
Stepping back into the shadows now....
Old 01-19-15, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Hope that dealer doesn't make the same dumb, stupid mistake with [say] no engine oil after an oil change. There is absolutely ZERO excuse (repeat ZERO excuse) for any car to ever be on the dealer's lot for delivery, customers to test drive or to purchase that has 50 psi in the tires. ZERO!!!
I'm not saying there's an excuse for it...I'm just saying that this is what happened here, and it happens. Dealers have forgotten to put oil in cars before too, happened to a friend of my dads years ago on a Lexus.

I've never had a dealer inflate my tires properly.

FYI about your response to bigblack...being a moderator is a tough job. I did it for years and it's a thankless job. It's not cool to react to a mod in this way in the public forum. Especially one just figuringn out how to do it.
Old 01-20-15, 07:32 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Congratulations OP! I have the exact color combination; also on a Luxury package, and you’ll love the nighttime ambiance interior light show on the light grey interior. It’s stunning.

Also have the side moldings and suggest you keep them for a week. Like everything else, they’ll “disappear” after a couple of days. BTW, they’re glued on with double sided tape and I’d wait for a hot day to remove with a heat gun.
They're already growing on me; I'll give it another week to make a decision.

I don't remember seeing ambient lighting last night. Is there an option I need to turn on?
Old 01-20-15, 09:20 AM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

Michelin states max pressure is 50 psi for that tire. Fortunate you didn't hit a bump and pop one of those.

Quick Reply: Finally bought one! Initial thoughts...