GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Am I crazy or is this thing rocking like a boat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 01:57 PM
struong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy or is this thing rocking like a boat?

I wanna apologize if this has been discuss before but searching the forum I couldn't find anythjng. Basically I feel like my 2013 F sport is rocking back and forth in rough roads. Also the back end feels like it's sliding around. Is this normal for an fsport? I took to dealership and they said it was normal but I can't trust those guys. They gave me an es as a loner and that thing was really smooth. Am I crazy or anyone else feeling this?

I have a 2013 gs350 fsport with factory rim and Michelin pilots sports. About 50% tread life left. The tire pressure is around 35 - 38 depending on temps. What do yall think? Should I take to another dealership for a second opinion?
Old 01-16-15, 02:27 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove a used 2013 with 60k miles, and when in Sport + settings it felt twitchy and nervous on rough roads.. like it would swerve slightly from side to side and follow each imperfection the pavement had to offer. I passed on that one and tested a new 2015 and immediately went searching for rough roads on the test drive. It felt much smoother and more poised than the 2013 I had driven, so I ended up with a new 2015.

Not sure if there was something wrong with the 2013 I drove or if it was the older tires, alignment, tire pressure, or wheel balance. You may want to check these factors out on your ride to help rule out any issues.

As for the rear "sliding around" I can only do this with all traction controls off and pushing it really hard on some tight curves.. This seems "normal" to me however!

Did your car always feel this way, or does it seem more so with your older tires?
Old 01-16-15, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Have you owned this car since new? Is this a recent development?
Old 01-16-15, 03:21 PM
struong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Have you owned this car since new? Is this a recent development?
I bought it used with about 47k miles on it. I've only had it for a few weeks. And like Atmoic said it feels nervous over rough roads. I hate to think a Lexus after 47k miles will drive like that and be considered "normal"
Old 01-16-15, 03:40 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by struong
I bought it used with about 47k miles on it. I've only had it for a few weeks. And like Atmoic said it feels nervous over rough roads. I hate to think a Lexus after 47k miles will drive like that and be considered "normal"
I find that very interesting on Michelin tires. I have a little bit of this issue and it was traveling up here to NJ mostly due to the high winds and the tire being over inflated, you seem to not have that issue. I also have stiffer suspension so not sure. Also the GS F-Sport will drive rough vs an ES which is supposed to have a softer suspension.
Old 01-16-15, 06:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

The GS 350 is going to have an edgy ride on anything but a smooth road simply due to it having a 'sport' performance suspension compared to [say] that of an ES or LS. Put the car on 19" tires and it adds a bit more nervousness to the quiver. Give the tires 3-5 extra pounds of pressure and now you've given it a stiff dose of quaver, quake and tremor whenever the road surface is not smooth like glass. It's the trade-off one must expect for having a performance car that doubles as a luxury car.
Old 01-16-15, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think my GS rides more solidly, and more stably than my ESs did. The GS is more firmly sprung, but overall I think it rides better than the ES.
Old 01-16-15, 07:39 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

There are some things you need to tell us beforw we can offer any useful info. Does your GS have Rear wheel Steering? Or rear steer?

My 2014 GS is the luxury version and it rides perfectly even in sport+ mode never twichy just more responsive and better body control. My cousin has a 2013 GS fsport with rear steering and his car rides just as smooth as mine but a little more a stiff and even more agile than my 2014 GS luxury. Both cars dont behave like how you describe your car is behaving.

I bet one or more of your springs may be leaking or maby your rear wheel steering is broken. Just take the car to another dealer and have them test drive it with you inside it and show them what you are talking about. Then hop in one of there newer 2015 GS and test it, then compare the two.
Old 01-16-15, 09:27 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drop the pressure! The GS F-Sport will rock back and forth with firmer tires and higher tire pressure. When I drop it on my F-sport 19 inch rims with michelins or bdigestones to 33 psi the car is smoother and planted without rocking too much on all the roads.
Old 01-16-15, 09:43 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I too was given a ES to drive as they serviced my vehicle and i cant agree with you guys on that one. It felt like a V6 Toyoto Camry to make. The interior quality was poor and the acceleration wasnt up to par. The ride felt very disconnected from the road and the torque kicked in really late for a annoying delay when you jam the pedal. The ES to be is like a clean up toyota camry or avalon. The driving dynamics of the GS dwars the ES, not even close.

As to your inquiry, it sucks to hear a fellow GS owner which an issue. I personally have never felt what you have described. My ride is smooth, stiff, and composed. I have no rocking whatsoever, the faster you go the better it gets. I would recommend putting 33 psi cold in the tires as the door jamb indicates and if that doesnt solve it, you might want to get the suspension looked at.
Old 01-17-15, 10:07 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you ever owned a sporty or rear wheel drive car before? They do feel much different than, say, an EG Civic.
Old 01-17-15, 01:32 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My car feels twitchy at times. The steering wheel doesn't like to go back to center especially when cold. Also when cold (or not as bad when warm) imperfections really jerk the car around. Like when getting into the median and the pavement is a little different, it will jerk. I kinda like that though, it's communicating with the road. Doesn't make me feel like something is wrong.
Old 01-17-15, 04:21 PM
struong
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess what I'm feeling could be considered "normal". Btw, I have rwd and today I noticed the rear tires look pretty worn. Wonder if that could be contributing to the roughness. You think it's worth it to go to a shop have have them unmount/mount left to right tire?
Old 01-17-15, 04:49 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by struong
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess what I'm feeling could be considered "normal". Btw, I have rwd and today I noticed the rear tires look pretty worn. Wonder if that could be contributing to the roughness. You think it's worth it to go to a shop have have them unmount/mount left to right tire?
Just buy a new set of tires. If they are pretty worn then why would you want to rotate them ?
Old 01-17-15, 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right...it sounds to me like you just need new tires.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy or is this thing rocking like a boat?