GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 08:19 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No prob, I had no idea they'd take returns...thats great to know.

Yeah mine have about 34k on them. I could probably make it another few months, but they're a little scary to drive on in the rain and snow at this point, and I think by the time I got to the end of the lease I'd have to put tires on it, so I may as well get them now and enjoy them.
Yeah I feel the same way you are and would not hesitate to try something new and see how it goes from tirerack. They are super friendly and will assist if need another set instead.
Old 01-13-15, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Thank you everyone for your feedback about your experience. I greatly appreciate and am grateful for your time.
I noticed I wasn't among the ones you quoted and thanked. You're welcome anyway.

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Yeah I feel the same way you are and would not hesitate to try something new and see how it goes from tirerack. They are super friendly and will assist if need another set instead.
Cool, I will report back what I decide and my thoughts on whatever I do buy.
Old 01-13-15, 08:30 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Thank you everyone for your feedback about your experience. I greatly appreciate and am grateful for your time.

I bought my tires from TireRack as well. And was told you cannot return them if you mount them. They will only take unmounted tires back, is what im being told.

Rexus300 i will respond to you shortly my friend.
If you let them know the tires are tram lining and vibrating they are defective then tirerack will get pirelli to accept the return. It works so well. I have done this with other brand that do not have the 30 day return policy like mIchelins.
Old 01-13-15, 08:53 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a question for you. Are you trying to solve an issue you're having with your car, or do you just want to ******?
thank you

but seriously thanks for the feedback and i apologize if i offended you.
Old 01-13-15, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Its not a problem. Theres a lot of knowledge here, and hundreds of thousands of miles of combined experience with this particular car. When people that have been around here a long time offer advice for your issue...at least give what we/they say the benefit of the doubt before you strike it down. All I'm sayin'

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-13-15 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:14 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Forgot to reply to this. Older BMW 5s I agree, not the current BMW 5. I thought the steering was quite light in the non Sport package cars I drove. Its a pretty well documented issue, a lot of BMW purists are unhappy with their new electronic power steering being so light and numb.

Sounds to me like you should have gotten a 5 Series

I guess I have been talking a lot about the vehicle (pros and cons) in part because i want to share my experiences and engage in forum discussions. I dont want to be mistaken as bad mouthing the GS. Please do not misunderstand me. I honestly really love the car, driving home today in L.A. traffic everything is so comfortable in the GS and so so quiet. Can barely hear a fire truck coming lol. And the way it glides over all surfaces is amazing, and very quick when you want it to be and relaxed when you dont.

The 5 series is not aesthetically pleasing to me. It does not look modern and exciting. The ride also is not that good, feels like a 7 series instead of a mid size sedan. I wanted a more nimble and sporty car and at the same time look executive.

The discussion that i commenced was to see if i should take my vehicle to the dealer, and if i was the only one. I didnt really ask for solutions because im not going to mess with the vehicle and screw other stuff up. Ive had it for 4 months and noticed it only twice so its not a HUGE deal for me given that i drive a lot. About 2000 miles a month. But from the answers i was assured that it is not just me that is experiences this aspect. I repeat it is not a big problem at all, if it was i would return the lease and get something else, i dont care how much the car is upside down. If its bothered me that much it would be gone after a few days.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-13-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:18 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I guess I have been talking a lot about the vehicle (pros and cons) in part because i want to share my experiences and engage in forum discussions. I dont want to be mistaken as bad mouthing the GS. Please do not misunderstand me. I honestly really love the car, driving home today in L.A. traffic everything is so comfortable in the GS and so so quiet. Can barely hear a fire truck coming lol. And the way it glides over all surfaces is amazing, and very quick when you want it to be and relaxed when you dont.

The 5 series is not aesthetically pleasing to me. It does not look modern and exciting. The ride also is not that good, feels like a 7 series instead of a mid size sedan. I was wanted a more nimble and sporty car and at the same time look executive.
What you said in the last paragraph was the reason I got rid of the BMW 5. So disconnected, bloated, and numb. It also had vibration between 70-75 mph that was well known on the BMW forums and the problem couldn't be solved by dealer. We had rims replaced and tires too. The driveshaft was replaced 1x but couldn't completely eliminate that vibe. I got so annoyed and **** about it so I figured just get rid of it and get something more fun and reliable hence the GS F-sport came onto the market at the perfect time. I am so happy with this car. I cannot see myself in a BMW for along time.
Old 01-13-15, 09:59 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Can you let me know if the problem stops when it warms up to past 45 or 50 degrees outside in California? Because as you said you put Pirellis on the car and some tires are more sensitive to cold weather and can cause pulling of the car on uneven road when its very cold causing sidewall to get stiff. I have seen this on my Audi and BMWs too. Its not an inherent problem with the GS. To be more specific, I had a 2012 BMW 5 before the 2013 GS and the GS is far better steering wise with more heft and response.

I only noticed this when it was really cold below 35 degrees on my all season MicheliN MXM4 before I switched to winter tires. It was not there when the tires were fairly new and had enough tread depth. Now my problem is gone even when its 0 degrees outside. I want to help you as much as I can. My alignment is spot on, If you get this pull regardless of temperature or pressure, get the toe-in spec for the front wheels and make sure its a ittle positive toe-in for the front to prevent pull when on uneven road.
Thank you very much Rexus300, your insight was very helpful to me. And i wanted to elaborate on your post, thats why it took me a bit to respond. Let me answer your questions and then outline the timeline of events on my vehicle to explain my situation better.

During day time this winter we are usually in the mid to upper 60s and in the 70s like today. At nighttime it dips pretty low. Especially in the Hollywood Hills where i reside. High 30s to low 40s. I cant exactly recall what the temperature was when i felt this but i do recall it was day time. But again i cannot confirm the temperature. It could have been a cold day or it could have happened when my tires had not warmed up yet. Because it expands as it warms and the psi rises. But i will be aware to telegraph how are the conditions outside and what are my psi when it occurs and report back to you.

Keep in mind this happened on the original Dunlops that came with the vehicle, i have not felt it as much on the Pirellis. Why did i switch to Pirellis so soon ? Well, let me just give a brief chain of events that took place since i got the GS 4 months ago and you will understand why I am sure its not an alignment problem or a tire pressure or Pirelli problem.

Leased the car late Septemeber 2014 ---- Felt the vehicle pull within a few weeks ---- Sold the stock 18s (wheels and tires) and purchased the F Sport wheels the F Sports look absolutely fantastic on the GS. ordered the factory set from Lexus through my friends dealership to get it cheaper ---- I mounted the wheels with the Michelins, the stock F sport tires---- Soon as i went down my first driveway and over my first bump i felt a HUGE difference. Undeniable, I felt every single pebbles and crack i went over. Going over a sewer drain was painful ---- Left with no choice two days later i sold the F Sports and obviously i sold the 18s already so i needed a new set ---- I purchased tires and wheels from TireRack, that is when i ordered the Pirellis ---- After i mounted the 18s back, the vehicle was pulling to the left A LOT, and didnt accelerate as well. I can tell the alignment was messed ---- I was dumbfounded that driving 50 miles on the factory 19s would mess up my alignment that much that quick. Never had this problem. ---- I took it to my friends shop for an alignment and sure enough the back wheels were favoring the left, i watched the alignment process ---- If i recall correctly .52 degrees off on the left rear and about .35 in the right. ---- He adjusted and corrected the alignment and now everything is fine --- Just like the first day i got it, actually better.

So in conclusion, i noticed this problem on the Dunlops not the Pirellis. It is not an alignment issue because it was aligned recently. And judging from the answers i got, what i am experiences at times is normal.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-14-15 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 10:37 PM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar issue on Nissan 350Z with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Since I changed tires to Dunlops Direzza no problem at all.

And again 3gen GS with same Potenzas this problem. With winter Nokians wasn't.

I think it's a tire problem.
Old 01-13-15, 11:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A.
Old 01-13-15, 11:27 PM
ZbynekZ
Driver

And is it worse or better noticeable during braking?
Old 01-13-15, 11:34 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

My tires are stock and it's ok on a flat road but pulls a little when braking on an uneven road surfaces.

These are summer high performance tires and I was about to hydroplane the other day on a heavy rain with cruise control on, going about 70 mph. I know ur not suppose to use cruise control in the rain and there were a lot of standing water on the road too.
Old 01-13-15, 11:42 PM
ZbynekZ
Driver

These Potenzas are very good when are new. With higher mileage are starting behaving like this. And starting be loud.

I'm not sure if I have them now on my GS too or not. I can't check because of winter tires now I haven't experienced this behavior with 4gen GS yet. Maybe they improved Potenzas Roads for sure not
Old 01-14-15, 09:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I was dumbfounded that driving 50 miles on the factory 19s would mess up my alignment that much that quick.
Wheels and/or tires themselves cannot mess up a vehicle's [wheel] alignment. The wheel alignment process is actually done by altering or tweaking the vehicle's suspension geometry which in-turn aligns the wheels and thus the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

A wheel may be damaged or poorly made and not able to balance well, but that does not affect (mess up) the alignment. Likewise, a tire may be damaged, or poorly made and not able to balance well, or worn irregularly due to being driven while the vehicle was misaligned, but that does not affect (mess up) the alignment. In other words, wheels or tires do not force a vehicle's alignment to change.
Old 01-14-15, 12:43 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Which Pirellis did you have? I have the Primacy MXM4 on mine now, they're just at the back end of their life. The Pirellis are about $250 cheaper, and I have a feeling they might be a little smoother and quieter perhaps at the expense of some handling.
Hey how many miles did you get out of those Michelins? Did you enjoy them? And what other tires you think rides smooth with your GS?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!