GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Also, Pirelli tires on my older GS and my Ml350 and Audi A8L all had soft sidewalls causing more flex on uneven road. I remember my 2006 GS with 18 inch rims would dart like mad on the uneven grooved roads near stop lights or highways. I bumped up the pressure and it went away. When I switched to Michelin I never got this problem ever with the exception that the tires were very worn out like on my current GS. I also got this problem on my 2013 Ml350 when the alignment was out. Pretty much I can say I have seen this everywhere and I resolved it when changing tire, pressure and alignment. I highly recommend you try one of these first and see what happens. You will be happy.
I'm shopping for tires and leaning heavily towards the Cinturato P7 Plus he has, I have read this in numerous reviews and survey responses about the car. Softer sidewalls and flex are some of the only negative comments people seem to have going to those tires from Michelins, etc.
Old 01-13-15, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Did u ever try the Sport mode n did u feel any difference in steering stiffness? U never report back on this.
I did indeed! It does make it stiffer.
Old 01-13-15, 07:49 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm shopping for tires and leaning heavily towards the Cinturato P7 Plus he has, I have read this in numerous reviews and survey responses about the car. Softer sidewalls and flex are some of the only negative comments people seem to have going to those tires from Michelins, etc.
I still love the Michelins Primacy MXM4 though. I wanted to try the Pirellis or something else but I think the Michelins are fantastic for this car. I am 31 yo here and I am a bit picky.
Old 01-13-15, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which Pirellis did you have? I have the Primacy MXM4 on mine now, they're just at the back end of their life. The Pirellis are about $250 cheaper, and I have a feeling they might be a little smoother and quieter perhaps at the expense of some handling.
Old 01-13-15, 07:55 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Which Pirellis did you have? I have the Primacy MXM4 on mine now, they're just at the back end of their life. The Pirellis are about $250 cheaper, and I have a feeling they might be a little smoother and quieter perhaps at the expense of some handling.
I had the Pirelli P6 on my 2006 Audi A8L and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons on our family ML350. I never put Pirelli on my current GS. On my older GS I had the Pirelli Pzero nero a/s which I returned after 1 month due to soft sidewall and tram lining.
Old 01-13-15, 07:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

I personally would only choose the Michelin tires. Ask any tire shop that sells Michelin and other top brands and they will tell you they have far less problems with Michelin tires balancing, defects, or customer complaints compared to any other brand tire.
Old 01-13-15, 07:58 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
I personally would only choose the Michelin tires. Ask any tire shop that sells Michelin and other top brands and they will tell you they have far less problems with Michelin tires balancing, defects, or customer complaints compared to any other brand tire.
Spot on. I agree. I always get perfect road force balance with Michelins with good ride comfort and balance throughout the lifespan. Their warranty and prorated policy is excellent. No other brand compares.
Old 01-13-15, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My shop actually told me that they recommend these particular Pirellis over the Michelins...I'm still torn which is why I haven't pulled the trigger.

For me the other caveat is its a lease. I may buy it at the end because I love it, but then again...I may not. I have 10 months left.
Old 01-13-15, 08:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

My shop actually told me that they recommend these particular Pirellis over the Michelins...

For me the other caveat is its a lease. I may buy it at the end because I love it, but then again...I may not. I have 10 months left.
You never know till you try it. I recommend ordering from www.tirerack.com so if you are unhappy you can return the tires within a period and get the mIchelins. I have done this many times on all my car. I have done this 3x with the current GS. I went from Bridgestone to Bridgestone to Continental and then finally Michelin. Tirerack didn't mind me doing this. I wasn't happy with some of the all season tires due to vibration, pulling, noise, etc. Finally the Michelins made me so happy and at peace with the F-sport and gave a great ride even with the sports suspension. If I went to discount tire. they will balk at me and give me a hard time. They have gave me tough time in the past.
Old 01-13-15, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats good to know, I did not realize TireRack would do that. I'd still be out mounting, balancing and shipping though.

I've been trying to find a local place that has a ride guarantee.
Old 01-13-15, 08:06 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Thats good to know, I did not realize TireRack would do that. I'd still be out mounting, balancing and shipping though.

I've been trying to find a local place that has a ride guarantee.
If you look at tirerack they have recommend installers with the hunter road force machines. You can get the tires dropped shipped to those installers near your home. If you are unhappy you can order a new set and do the same. Then UPS will pick up current set of tires that you didn't like from the installer of choice and take them back to tirerack for a refund. The return cost is about 7 dollars per tire which is not bad. I love tirerack!
Old 01-13-15, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I've ordered tires from TireRack many times, I actually have an installer I've used a bunch of times that has a RoadForce balancer, etc.
Old 01-13-15, 08:09 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Oh I've ordered tires from TireRack many times, I actually have an installer I've used a bunch of times that has a RoadForce balancer, etc.
Oh sorry my bad. I remember you said this in another post. Either way let me know if you do try the P7s. I am also curious about them. When i get my standard lexus rims put back on in the spring I am leaning towards getting the MXM4s again because currently they are almost worn out and they tramline like crazy on uneven roads which was never there before. I put almost 35k miles on them but I am aggressive drive so its not that bad.
Old 01-13-15, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No prob, I had no idea they'd take returns...thats great to know.

Yeah mine have about 34k on them. I could probably make it another few months, but they're a little scary to drive on in the rain and snow at this point, and I think by the time I got to the end of the lease I'd have to put tires on it, so I may as well get them now and enjoy them.
Old 01-13-15, 08:19 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yes it is. Man stop complaining!!! lol

I only use Sport+ when driving fast in high wind area and with it the car pretty much drives itself.
Originally Posted by johnphan79
wow.. i tho it was just me.

Yes... it happen to my GS too. I was wont have the dealer take a look at it. ;-)
Originally Posted by Rexus300
I noticed this on my 2013 GS with Michelin Primacy MXM4 in normal mode and when the tires were close to wearing out. When I put my Blizzaks on with separate set of 19 inch rims, that pulling or tram lining as we call it on uneven roads when stopping went away. Its a combo of tire pressure, tire wear and tires that cause this. I suggest bumping up the pressure. BUT as you said it happened when it was cold. Do you have performance tires? IF you do then you cannot avoid this as the sidewall gets super stiff and grabs the grooves more and causes that car to pull to one side when stopping. Hell, 35 degrees will always cause this on most of our low profile cars in Michigan on uneven roads. When we get good all seasons or even winter tires that problem completely stop during the winter.
Originally Posted by CleanStock
+1 for me too. I noticed it and was actually thinking about getting an alignment. I'm glad someone else feels the same. I did notice the tire pressure seemed a bit low. I'm getting some air tonight to see if that changes things.
Originally Posted by James4GS
I noticed this as well while driving a couple of weeks ago and attributed it to the unevenness of the road as it went away when I turned on to a different street. Good to know I was not the only one experiencing it.
Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
My GS has 15k miles on its odo and tracks straight even on uneven roads. So far its been a dream to drive.
You are correct - all cars will tend to move downward when on a crowned or pitched surface. Here in Dallas the roads are not crowned much compared to probably where you are located. I see no difference in how my GS handles crowned roads versus numerous other cars I have driven recently. They all may have a little bit different feel in steering tightness and suspension dynamic characteristics of course, but the GS 350 certainly doesn't react any differently from another that it stands out as being odd or different..

Thank you everyone for your feedback about your experience. I greatly appreciate and am grateful for your time.

I bought my tires from TireRack as well. And was told you cannot return them if you mount them. They will only take unmounted tires back, is what im being told.

Rexus300 i will respond to you shortly my friend.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-13-15 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!