GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 10:14 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!

Hey guys, not huge issues but wanted to discuss a few aspects with the steering and see if you have experienced similar occurrences.

Have you noticed the steering wheel will turn about 35 degrees left or right when one side of the street is uneven and you take your hands off the wheel ? I guess i havent noticed it much in these 3 months because im always in Sport mode, which stiffens the wheels as we all know, but today as i was driving in Normal, I was on a street that kind of tapered to the right on an approx. 5 degree angle and the wheel turn itself pretty dramatically. I corrected my path and it would shoot right soon as i took my hand off the wheel. Its definitely not an alignment issue because its straight like an arrow. And all tires have 33 psi cold. Then i noticed again on the freeway, i know its uneven pavement but the amount the wheel turns is pretty substantial.

Also, when you make a 90 degree turn the steering wheel doesnt really retract itself back too good, you kind of have guide it back. But putting it in Sport mode fixes all that. Besides that i love the steering, you can take turns at ridiculous speeds (not that i do ) and it eats the the turn right up, no problem, and you dont even break a sweat. The car is phenomenally well balanced. Love the GS

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-12-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 10:37 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes it is. Man stop complaining!!! lol

I only use Sport+ when driving fast in high wind area and with it the car pretty much drives itself.
Old 01-12-15, 10:49 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yes it is. Man stop complaining!!! lol

I only use Sport+ when driving fast in high wind area and with it the car pretty much drives itself.
hey lol im bored, but its a proper topic for discussion
Old 01-12-15, 10:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

But yea I noticed the pulling a few weeks ago when going on uneven road. It pulls when ur braking too and it's not a bad alignment cause the car tracks straight and stops straight on a flat road.
Old 01-12-15, 11:17 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.. i tho it was just me.

Yes... it happen to my GS too. I was wont have the dealer take a look at it. ;-)
Old 01-13-15, 08:46 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed this on my 2013 GS with Michelin Primacy MXM4 in normal mode and when the tires were close to wearing out. When I put my Blizzaks on with separate set of 19 inch rims, that pulling or tram lining as we call it on uneven roads when stopping went away. Its a combo of tire pressure, tire wear and tires that cause this. I suggest bumping up the pressure. BUT as you said it happened when it was cold. Do you have performance tires? IF you do then you cannot avoid this as the sidewall gets super stiff and grabs the grooves more and causes that car to pull to one side when stopping. Hell, 35 degrees will always cause this on most of our low profile cars in Michigan on uneven roads. When we get good all seasons or even winter tires that problem completely stop during the winter.
Old 01-13-15, 12:23 PM
CleanStock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for me too. I noticed it and was actually thinking about getting an alignment. I'm glad someone else feels the same. I did notice the tire pressure seemed a bit low. I'm getting some air tonight to see if that changes things.
Old 01-13-15, 12:30 PM
James4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this as well while driving a couple of weeks ago and attributed it to the unevenness of the road as it went away when I turned on to a different street. Good to know I was not the only one experiencing it.
Old 01-13-15, 04:37 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I noticed this on my 2013 GS with Michelin Primacy MXM4 in normal mode and when the tires were close to wearing out. When I put my Blizzaks on with separate set of 19 inch rims, that pulling or tram lining as we call it on uneven roads when stopping went away. Its a combo of tire pressure, tire wear and tires that cause this. I suggest bumping up the pressure. BUT as you said it happened when it was cold. Do you have performance tires? IF you do then you cannot avoid this as the sidewall gets super stiff and grabs the grooves more and causes that car to pull to one side when stopping. Hell, 35 degrees will always cause this on most of our low profile cars in Michigan on uneven roads. When we get good all seasons or even winter tires that problem completely stop during the winter.
I have 18s Rexus, my vehicle is not the F sport, and the tires are not low profile. The Dunlops that came with the vehicle were terrible so I switched them to Pirellis P7s and its not as bad now. I highly recommend the Pirellis.

Originally Posted by CleanStock
+1 for me too. I noticed it and was actually thinking about getting an alignment. I'm glad someone else feels the same. I did notice the tire pressure seemed a bit low. I'm getting some air tonight to see if that changes things.
Look on the inside of your door, the recommended tire pressure should be 33 psi cold. After you drive it, obviously it will get warmer and expand to about 36-37 psi. Which is ideal. If the engineers at Lexus think 33 psi cold is the way to go than who am I to disagree ? I don't want to over inflate the tires, the ride quality drops and its not as smooth at a higher psi. This is just how the GS's are, as you can see from all the members.

See ItzFilyO, this topic was helpful to a lot of members, I even saved johnphan79 a trip to the dealer
Old 01-13-15, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
I have 18s Rexus, my vehicle is not the F sport, and the tires are not low profile. The Dunlops that came with the vehicle were terrible so I switched them to Pirellis P7s and its not as bad now. I highly recommend the Pirellis.
Just FYI, the 18s have low profile tires too. A 45 series tire is definitely considered a low profile tire.
Old 01-13-15, 05:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Does anyone care to tell me exactly why they think the Lexus GS 350 is more 'steering wheel sensitive' than other cars? Do tell - what is the reason...
Old 01-13-15, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I don't think it is...
Old 01-13-15, 05:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think it is...
Neither do I...
Old 01-13-15, 05:33 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
Does anyone care to tell me exactly why they think the Lexus GS 350 is more 'steering wheel sensitive' than other cars? Do tell - what is the reason...
I don't really understand your question, do you want a mathematical breakdown as to what is the reason ? A physics or mechanical breakdown as to what is the reason ? Well I couldn't tell you im not an engineer, I can just testify to what i feel.

And if you drove a 5 series, or an E class then you would feel the difference. The steering wheel doesn't shoot away when you take your hands off the wheels, even on the freeway. I understand you love your vehicle (so do I) and don't want to admit when the car has some flaws, but I call it like it is bud.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-13-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 05:34 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

My GS has 15k miles on its odo and tracks straight even on uneven roads. So far its been a dream to drive.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!