GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help me sort out remote start options...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 09:40 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me sort out remote start options...

Ordering a 2015 GS tomorrow and trying to figure out the remote start options. I have heard about the following:

1. RES+
2. Enform
3. Pressing the lock 3 times
4. Aftermarket remote start products

Is the Enform application just the included version on RES+ on 2015 and later cars? Or are they separate products?

Does pressing the lock button 3 times work on all cars?

Sorry, I read a bunch of posts and still don't understand what is included and what I need to purchase for remote start functionality.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 01-08-15, 09:47 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got the viper smart start installed on my car. Use an app to start it. the new update coming out will allow you to use voice commands to start your car.

http://www.androidauthority.com/vipe...ar-app-578414/

I paid 450 to get it installed and another 150 for 3 years of service
Old 01-08-15, 10:29 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Res+ is a dealer or lexus factory remote start that works by pressing lock on key three times or using an app on your phone to start anywhere or anytime. If its installed by dealer or lexus factory then if something goes wrong then Lexus cannot blame it on a aftermarket system. If they screw up they are obligated to fix any issues.
Old 01-08-15, 12:49 PM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Res+ is a dealer or lexus factory remote start that works by pressing lock on key three times or using an app on your phone to start anywhere or anytime. If its installed by dealer or lexus factory then if something goes wrong then Lexus cannot blame it on a aftermarket system. If they screw up they are obligated to fix any issues.
So, RES+ and Enform are similar? Or did one replace the other? I know Enform comes standard on the GS and one year of service. Can you still get RES+ in 2015?
Old 01-08-15, 12:54 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

RES+ is not available for the GS at all, as far as I know, and never has been. The RES+ tab doesn't even appear on the compatibility web page when you select GS 350.
Old 01-08-15, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

You don't want the OEM remote start. I have it, and I hate the way it shuts the car off when you open the door. Get yourself an aftermarket one.
Old 01-08-15, 03:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

-RES+ was made available for the 2015 model year. I believe it is still a dealer installed option and does not come equipped on the car from factory.
-Pressing the lock button on the key fob 3 times starts the car IF a remote start system is installed. This is the case with the Lexus remote start as well as aftermarket units. I hear, however there were some legal issues with aftermarket remote starts using this 3 click method and might have been disabled in recents firmware updates.
-Enform and RES are separate, although I believe the RES is now called Enform Remote. The Enform app suite (Pandora, iHeartRadio, saved destinations, etc) is standard and free.
-I have Viper SmartStart and unfortunately any remote start you install (Lexus or aftermarket) will shut the car down once the door is opened. Blame Lexus' overzealous board of lawyers. :rollseyes:

Hope that answers everything!
Old 01-08-15, 05:31 PM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I ordered my GS 350 a month ago, I was told the Enform Remote comes standard with a 1-year subscription. I don't know what RES+ would add over the Enform Remote, since they appear to perform the same function.

Just a word of caution, "puffing" or running your car with no one inside is illegal in some areas and I just happen to live in one of those areas. Which suck, because it can get really cold here and I was looking forward to being able to warm my car remotely.
Old 01-09-15, 07:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ComSciGuy
Just a word of caution, "puffing" or running your car with no one inside is illegal in some areas and I just happen to live in one of those areas. Which suck, because it can get really cold here and I was looking forward to being able to warm my car remotely.
The law only applies to cars that are running with the keys in the ignition. No one can just jump in your car and drive off when started with a remote start, especially a Lexus.

If your car has a remote starter, puffing is legal because anti-theft technology prevents a thief from driving off without the key.
LINK
Old 01-09-15, 08:09 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You don't want the OEM remote start. I have it, and I hate the way it shuts the car off when you open the door. Get yourself an aftermarket one.
what he said, I have one. It wont work and they wont fix it
Old 01-10-15, 05:15 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
-RES+ was made available for the 2015 model year. I believe it is still a dealer installed option and does not come equipped on the car from factory.
-Pressing the lock button on the key fob 3 times starts the car IF a remote start system is installed. This is the case with the Lexus remote start as well as aftermarket units. I hear, however there were some legal issues with aftermarket remote starts using this 3 click method and might have been disabled in recents firmware updates.
-Enform and RES are separate, although I believe the RES is now called Enform Remote. The Enform app suite (Pandora, iHeartRadio, saved destinations, etc) is standard and free.
-I have Viper SmartStart and unfortunately any remote start you install (Lexus or aftermarket) will shut the car down once the door is opened. Blame Lexus' overzealous board of lawyers. :rollseyes:

No, RES+ is not available on the 2015. They changed the frequencies on the 2015 of the remote. I bought a 2015 and thought I could get RES+, but now they're telling me that Lexus doesn't have a part available - only through enForm at this time. They tried installing a 2014 version on my car, but it wouldn't work.
Old 01-10-15, 07:56 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The aftermarket one I have kills the engine also I have the viper smart start with dball on my car.

-Joe
Old 01-10-15, 07:58 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876

Yea I don't understand why Lexus does that, my buddies chevy can remote start, then get in and push the button and the car just keeps running. Never shuts off.

-Joe
Old 01-10-15, 04:58 PM
Norman53
10th Gear

Default Res+

Have a 2015 GS RES+ was included in a factory package that was in the car. Using the phone there is a lot of things you can do and see, what someone that is driving the car is doing,alerts if car is started, speed etc. Also works with the 3 remote clicks if you are close to the car. Some say the phone connection is slow, but I don't think it takes any longer than making a cell call.

Also have RES+ on 2014 GX 460 works just as well although the phone software is different and not as many options.
Old 01-10-15, 06:51 PM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by Norman53
Have a 2015 GS RES+ was included in a factory package that was in the car. Using the phone there is a lot of things you can do and see, what someone that is driving the car is doing,alerts if car is started, speed etc. Also works with the 3 remote clicks if you are close to the car. Some say the phone connection is slow, but I don't think it takes any longer than making a cell call.

Also have RES+ on 2014 GX 460 works just as well although the phone software is different and not as many options.
When you are saying Res+ is included, I assume you mean enform remote...

Quick Reply: Help me sort out remote start options...