GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 10:36 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I doubt it check engine light would have been on.
Yeahp, if the o2 sensor was completely cut off your check engine light would be blaring at you!

I just noticed your signature mentioning some custom exhaust.. how long have you had the custom exhaust vs when this started happening?

I hope its not messing with your ecu... and hope they dont give you a hard time at the dealer about this either.
Old 01-09-15, 10:43 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Yeahp, if the o2 sensor was completely cut off your check engine light would be blaring at you!

I just noticed your signature mentioning some custom exhaust.. how long have you had the custom exhaust vs when this started happening?

I hope its not messing with your ecu... and hope they dont give you a hard time at the dealer about this either.
Well I had this system on my 13 GS so nothing different and I had that for a while so I have no idea what it is. I'm hoping they don't either. Haven't heard anything all day so still nothing.
Old 01-09-15, 11:50 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Well I had this system on my 13 GS so nothing different and I had that for a while so I have no idea what it is. I'm hoping they don't either. Haven't heard anything all day so still nothing.
Gotcha, I would think the ecu could compensate for the minor exhaust changes.

Glad to hear it's at the dealer already, good luck to you and you GS! Did ya get a loaner to beat on at least?!!
Old 01-12-15, 06:53 AM
bigblack06

Ok they reset the car, and it seems to be running fine now actually normal. It begs me to think that it could have been the vivid racing flash. Car is running great though now battery checked out fine.
Old 01-12-15, 08:02 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Reset the car as in the ecu I suppose you mean.

Guess that means any tweaks from the Vivid unit is gone now too huh. Sounds like that thing may have been more trouble than good in the end?
Old 01-12-15, 10:29 AM
bigblack06

Well no not the ECU they just unplugged the battery let a sit for a couple of hours and then put it back on not sure exactly what they accomplished but the car is no longer shaking. Vivid racing flash is still there I called to verify he said unless ECU is reset or I plug the Vivid racing module in thats the only way.
Old 01-12-15, 12:16 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Well no not the ECU they just unplugged the battery let a sit for a couple of hours and then put it back on not sure exactly what they accomplished but the car is no longer shaking. Vivid racing flash is still there I called to verify he said unless ECU is reset or I plug the Vivid racing module in thats the only way.
Hmmm, well I’m not exactly sure about the 4GS but I know on cars I have had in the past, and older GS’s this was indeed how you reset the ecu (unplugging the battery)… maybe someone else can chime in to confirm?

So the Vivid unit is plugged in now and its running fine, better than stock would you say even due to the Vivid flash?
Old 01-12-15, 03:53 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me a few times. Dealer diagnosed and nothing showed up. They told me to put a different brand gasoline. I've gone from Mobil to 76 and it hasn't happened since.
Old 01-13-15, 03:34 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Hmmm, well I’m not exactly sure about the 4GS but I know on cars I have had in the past, and older GS’s this was indeed how you reset the ecu (unplugging the battery)… maybe someone else can chime in to confirm?

So the Vivid unit is plugged in now and its running fine, better than stock would you say even due to the Vivid flash?
No the flash is only used once to put in OBD port then take out.

Originally Posted by sgmstr
This happened to me a few times. Dealer diagnosed and nothing showed up. They told me to put a different brand gasoline. I've gone from Mobil to 76 and it hasn't happened since.
I doubt its gas as I only use two types and I seem to rotate on them depending on how I feel. Shell, Sunoco
Old 01-13-15, 10:53 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear you got fixed up. I'd like to see an updated pic of your new gas mileage.
Old 01-13-15, 11:15 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Good to hear you got fixed up. I'd like to see an updated pic of your new gas mileage.
Will take later but it was 15.6MPG city driving.
Old 01-14-15, 02:54 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on becoming Forum Moderator bigblack...it's been awhile since I've been on but this is the EXACT issue I'm having. I brought it in to the dealership but I just cant replicate the problem. I also have a 13 GS but I live in Southern California so cold weather isn't really the culprit.

Times it happened to me: cold starts (in the morning or when starting car after 4 hours or so), sitting idle at a stop light, or placing the car in Park and just sitting idle. It happens now and then with RPM dipping around the sub 600 range...only problem is I can never replicate the issue and so the dealership could do nothing for me.

I'll ask to reset the ecu next time I go in for 30K. Please keep the thread updated if the issue comes back! The thing for me is it could be weeks in between when I notice the "Shivering / shaking" of the car in idle...
Old 01-14-15, 04:26 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hypnotika
Congrats on becoming Forum Moderator bigblack...it's been awhile since I've been on but this is the EXACT issue I'm having. I brought it in to the dealership but I just cant replicate the problem. I also have a 13 GS but I live in Southern California so cold weather isn't really the culprit.

Times it happened to me: cold starts (in the morning or when starting car after 4 hours or so), sitting idle at a stop light, or placing the car in Park and just sitting idle. It happens now and then with RPM dipping around the sub 600 range...only problem is I can never replicate the issue and so the dealership could do nothing for me.

I'll ask to reset the ecu next time I go in for 30K. Please keep the thread updated if the issue comes back! The thing for me is it could be weeks in between when I notice the "Shivering / shaking" of the car in idle...
Just reset the ECU yourself. Pull the terminal off the battery, wait 5 minutes, put it back on and start it up.
Old 01-14-15, 05:44 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by hypnotika

Thanks. Yep sounds the same it seems to be coming back but not as worse as it was before as the car would shake now its just strange it revs high cause of cold then when it settles its so quiet that feels like car is gonna shut off that I think now is more because of exhaust as I don't have the shaking problem.

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Just reset the ECU yourself. Pull the terminal off the battery, wait 5 minutes, put it back on and start it up.
Yep that basically what they did.

Last edited by bigblack06; 01-14-15 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 11:33 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

So if the ECU was reset, did that erase the Vivid flash or would that still apply?

And/Or did you reflash with the Vivid unit again after the dealer rest the ecu?

Just wondering if that Vivid unit may be causing any issues for you or if that has been ruled out...

Quick Reply: Rough Idle