GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 04:45 PM
thholr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they announce the price ?
I do think they missed the mark slightly. HP is a little low when compared to everyone else, but that is not the tell all. The front end doesnt seem to fit the whole car . Maybe in person it is better. I think this will compete better with the BMW 550, Cadillac V-Sport, etc. Dont think it will be a true M5 competitor. But that might be ok. Maybe going after the S6 , 550 is better. But it better not be priced above $75K either.
Old 01-12-15, 04:46 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You know I have to agree with you on this one. You would have to be a avid Lexus fanatic to get a GS F. There are just tons of better cars for that price range. And im not talking about the 0-60. Who cares about 0-60. A few tenths of a second isn't that big of a deal unless you are a real racer. 3.5 secs or 4.1 secs, pretty much same crap on a day to day basis. Im not going to pay over $80,000 for a few tenths of a second. But im sure some folks will.

I guess the people that would buy the GS F are the same folks who buy the LS 460 h. I mean what a waste of money. Fully equipped you talking north of $130,000 and its only gets 19 city / 21 highway. Practically the same as the gas engine and almost double the price ?? Really Lexus ?? This is my first Lexus and I do love it don't get me wrong, but Lexus does do some retarded stuff sometimes.

And again you raise a good point about the ES and GS. 95% of people cant tell the difference. In my opinion, I think the GS should be at least another inch wider. Its only 72.1 inches, which is only 1 inch wider than the ES and IS which are both 71.1 inches. I think the ES should be 72.1 inches and the GS should be about 73 inches wide. Like the 5 series and E class.

I love my Lexus but you raise very good points and I have to agree with you.

By the way, am I the only one that thinks the RC F looks like crap ?

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-12-15 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 05:02 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, their side profiles are very similar.
Old 01-12-15, 05:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the GS F either.
I love the look of the M5 but too much $$$.
No interest at all in the RC line.
I do love my GS, though.
Old 01-12-15, 05:09 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think he means a separate forum. I'm sure there will be.
I knew what he meant. I'm not a fan of too many sub forums. There won't be enough of them sold to support it's own forum. As you know, I bought an A7 a couple of months ago. The A7 forum is lucky to get five posts a day so I spend more time on the A6 forum because other than appearance they are basically the same car. The F has a different engine of couse than the "base" GS, but most systems on the car are the same.
Old 01-12-15, 05:38 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"By the way, am I the only one that thinks the RC F looks like crap ?" - Pirelli GS

No, you're not the only one. I would never buy the RC F. The car makes no sense. The other huge mystery is the new compact SUV, the NX. The interior looks cheap, too. What are they doing?
Old 01-12-15, 06:59 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Just out of curiosity how many units do BMW M5 and AMG and Audi move per year? I am curious to see how many Lexus needs to sell to satisfy all the Debbie Downers here that are calling this car a disappointment before it is released for sale.

Reminds me of all the overreacting that was going on with the RC before it was released. That one seems to be getting good reviews and selling too.

Also, if I want the GS F, I'm getting the GS F. I could care less about what it competes against or whether is has 23 less hp or is .3 seconds slower to 60.
Old 01-12-15, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I still find it amusing that we've got people saying that the GS-F isn't worth the money when nobody knows what the thing costs lol.

As to the GS should be wider? Why? So someone can say its wider than the ES? Vehicles aren't built to dimensions and outputs so people can sit back and say "my GS is wider"...they are built to the dimensions that make sense.
Old 01-12-15, 09:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

MT said they will only sell 200 units in the USA, if true, this thing will be as rare as the LFA ??
Old 01-12-15, 09:53 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...roit-auto-show

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._f_first_look/

467 HP / 389 TQ from its 5L normally aspirated V8.

If they're only selling 200 in the USA, it ain't gonna be $70K!

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 01-12-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Just out of curiosity how many units do BMW M5 and AMG and Audi move per year? I am curious to see how many Lexus needs to sell to satisfy all the Debbie Downers here that are calling this car a disappointment before it is released for sale.

Reminds me of all the overreacting that was going on with the RC before it was released. That one seems to be getting good reviews and selling too.

Also, if I want the GS F, I'm getting the GS F. I could care less about what it competes against or whether is has 23 less hp or is .3 seconds slower to 60.
from 08 to 14 lexus sold less than 15k isf global, that's 2100 units a year. by comparison, from few articles i read, bmw sold over 10k copies of m3 annual (or at least 08 and 09).

i never researched on the numbers for m5 and e63, but given that i live in a region where expensive high end cars are not that "rare", i see more m5 and e63 overall than isf. so that might be a hint.

regardless, even if lexus has a car competing with the m5 and e63, there is no way they will sell close to as many cars. and i don't think i have to go into the m3 numbers. but if you think sales number is the metric here i think you are missing the point, because lexus would have lost like that.
Old 01-12-15, 11:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...roit-auto-show

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._f_first_look/

467 HP / 389 TQ from its 5L normally aspirated V8.

If they're only selling 200 in the USA, it ain't gonna be $70K!
i don't think the car will be astonishingly expensive even if they only make 200. a lot of the parts are shared with gs/rc so i am sure a lot of the cost can be diluted
Old 01-13-15, 02:22 AM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I don't think anyone was expecting the GSF to beat the ///M, AMG, or RS, but to just be competitive. Now I don't know about it even being "in the conversation" since the GSF seems to compete with the second best cars from its rivals in this segment (although on the plus side, it would/should be priced accordingly). Lexus' best can only compete with their rivals' second best. Disappointing and unworthy for this car to carry an F badge. And, after reading what Yaguchi had to say, I am even more unimpressed. Really, he's gonna compare the GSF to a car below its segment in the RCF but with 4 doors? Why not just build an ISF or RCF sedan? He, himself, said that more power can be extracted from this engine...then proceeds to put the exact same engine in the GSF. I guess Lexus does not think it could sell more GSs if they had 3 cars in this segment: GS350, GS500, GSF. Rumor has it that they almost axed the GS all together. Who knows? But hey, Lexus is doing their own thing...
I know a lot of members on this forum and probably the entire Lexus community is a little thrown off by the lower hp compared to the M5, RS6, and E55. However, I am inclined to think that the reason they put the same engine from the RC-F into the GS-F is mainly because they want to maximize efficiency by producing the same engine and still want the pedigree of being a reliable car. I'm pretty sure Lexus has tested this 467 hp engine time and time again to make sure there are no engine malfunctions and by putting that RC-F engine and transmission into the GS-F, they can be assured that it would minimize any chances of future recurring problems with the car.
Old 01-13-15, 02:33 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I knew what he meant. I'm not a fan of too many sub forums. There won't be enough of them sold to support it's own forum. As you know, I bought an A7 a couple of months ago. The A7 forum is lucky to get five posts a day so I spend more time on the A6 forum because other than appearance they are basically the same car. The F has a different engine of couse than the "base" GS, but most systems on the car are the same.
Yep. And over on the Audi forum the A's and S' aren't in sub forums. They're all together. I don't think the F needs its own, it's still a GS so as long as the member posts in the right section they should be good.
Old 01-13-15, 06:45 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think he means a separate forum. I'm sure there will be.
Exactly a separate forum....

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)