GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I have the same reservations abut the styling, we'll have to see it in person.
Old 01-07-15, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there something about the intelligence level and the wit of the members of CL that exceeds the other forums? I've been on BMW, Acura, Infiniti and Mercedes forums and they are just so dry.
Old 01-07-15, 08:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

My personal viewpoint : if the 560hp BMW M5 and the 467hp GS-F were both on sale for the same price, I would still get the GS-F.

Why?

Because personal experience tells me that the 4GS chassis is a driving enthusiast's wet dream irrespective of the motor shoved into it. Because the current F10 chassis of the BMW M5 is built on the 7 series and more geared for luxury and not handling

Because I'd use the car as a daily driver and 560hp on normal streets is meaningless in terms of daily driver driving experience--nimbleness, feeling as one with the car's chassis and steering inputs is far more important, traits the 4GS platform excels at.

What if hypothetically, someone were to offer to give me the choice of either getting a M5 or GS-F for free?

I'd take the brand new M5, sell it and use part of the proceeds to buy myself a spanking new GS-F.

Because I care more for the driving experience than comparing numbers on the internet.
Old 01-07-15, 08:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Is there something about the intelligence level and the wit of the members of CL that exceeds the other forums? I've been on BMW, Acura, Infiniti and Mercedes forums and they are just so dry.
This place will be dry without Steve here.
Old 01-08-15, 01:20 AM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
After reading all 24 pages I finally arrived at the conclusion that Lexus GS no longer competes with the 5 series, E Class and Audi A6. We should not compare the GS to any direct competitors. The car is in its own class now.

GS-F competes with RC-F, and both are trying to take on LF-A. They even stole the gauges!
I agree with this. Lexus is facing a huge identity crisis where on the one hand, they want a powerful car that can take on German cars, yet at the same time, they want a powerful car that has the signature Lexus comfort and quietness.

With this identity crisis, Lexus can come out as a HUGE winner if they can somehow get the quietness and smooth ride of their Modus Operandi, yet turn into a complete beast of an engine and tight handling of a sport car with a turn of a ****. The 4GS has done just that, and if they perfect that one day then buying a pure 100 percent sports sedan would just be moot.

What is all boils down to is this... almost everybody in this 26 page thread is comparing the GSF to other German cars, and competing against the M5. In actuality, Lexus is probably just competing for car buyers that want to be able to ride comfortably effortlessly with the turn of a ****.

Sorry for the long rant and if it was confusing, but it's 1:19 AM here and I'm about to hit the sack after a couple glasses of red wine haha.
Old 01-08-15, 02:00 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
I should also add the Lexus Ct hybrid which is the first luxury compact hybrid car in its segment. Lexus created the car with no competition in sight.
Did you ever drove it? CT and luxury are words which can't be used in one sentence

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
After reading all 24 pages I finally arrived at the conclusion that Lexus GS no longer competes with the 5 series, E Class and Audi A6. We should not compare the GS to any direct competitors. The car is in its own class now.

GS-F competes with RC-F, and both are trying to take on LF-A. They even stole the gauges!
LOL

For all:
It is so simple to undestand.
F Sports are like M packet / AMG optic / S line (more sporty look, more stiffness)
xx-F are like true M models / AMGs or S and RS Audis = high performace versions

Who don't want to understand won't understand.

HOWGH
Old 01-08-15, 06:45 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
My personal viewpoint : if the 560hp BMW M5 and the 467hp GS-F were both on sale for the same price, I would still get the GS-F.

Why?

Because personal experience tells me that the 4GS chassis is a driving enthusiast's wet dream irrespective of the motor shoved into it. Because the current F10 chassis of the BMW M5 is built on the 7 series and more geared for luxury and not handling

Because I'd use the car as a daily driver and 560hp on normal streets is meaningless in terms of daily driver driving experience--nimbleness, feeling as one with the car's chassis and steering inputs is far more important, traits the 4GS platform excels at.

What if hypothetically, someone were to offer to give me the choice of either getting a M5 or GS-F for free?

I'd take the brand new M5, sell it and use part of the proceeds to buy myself a spanking new GS-F.

Because I care more for the driving experience than comparing numbers on the internet.
Thanks. Valid viewpoint. I feel it also depends on the segment. I personally won't neccesarily compare it to an M5. In a recent interview I read the NX chief designer already admitted that the ones who will buy German cars will continue to do so, and I could believe it.

But for this segment, of high performance cars, power is a valid criteria for comparison. Even without the M5 there are other stronger ones. So it's no surprise to me the discussion on this thread focused quite a bit on this. I notice that the Toyota 86, in all its guises, and with various best handling accolades to boot, is not doing very well sales wise. I wonder why? And they are not even that expensive to run, and has been winning car of the year, year after year, from different sources.

So could it be that acceleration is in fact a more accessible quality than handling for most as it's more often experienced, unless on ones daily commute there are lots more curves than straights?
Old 01-08-15, 06:46 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they seem to be doing, to me anyways, is creating a car for Lexus legacy buyer the way they feel a Lexus enthusiast would want a high performance F Model Lexus to be. They feel thats an NA car...they feel that its an entire package car and not a car driven by stats...clearly.

I think you nailed it, couldn't agree more. I wonder what the ratio of BMW drivers turning to Lexus is compared to the other way? Having owned my fair share of Euros I cant see going back that way after enjoying the reliability this brand has delivered, especially now that they are producing a more driver oriented option.
JTMav
Old 01-08-15, 08:00 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that it would be nice to have the 500hp+ bragging rights, but I would rather pay less for the 'same' car with slightly less power.

This is my thoughts:
2GS430 (owned)- amazing car, almost perfect, needs the LS's interior and a better transmission
3GS460h (owned) - amazing car, too ahead of it's time, I want the LS600h's V8 in there please...
4GS350 (owned) - almost perfect, so close it hurts
IS-F (owned) - Oh wow - this is what I wanted all along, please please put this transmission and engine in the 4GS
GS-F - THANK YOU! Must start saving, this is it, the dream, everything I wanted.

ps. I don't care if the M3 / M5 / E63 is faster than my IS-F (or soon to be GS-F) have you driven / owned an IS-F?, you won't care either I promise.
Old 01-08-15, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
This place will be dry without Steve here.
LOL, not to worry I'm not going anywhere
Old 01-08-15, 09:22 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus is not jut competing with everyone and getting caught up in the numbers war, they are trying to outdo them in every way you actually experience a "luxury sports sedan" (as they refer to it as, appropriately).

They are addressing all your senses when you get behind the wheel more so than just impressing the crowd with the biggest stats on paper.. be it for the daily commute, to a long distance road trip, to a run through the mountains or a day at the track wrapped up with enough space for a small family.

They may just have an automotive masterpiece on their hands here in this regard!!
Old 01-08-15, 10:30 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I see, the medial angle of the headlights no longer line up with the bonnet hump line.
In other words, the bonnet hump line used to flow smoothly onto the medial corner of the headlights, but that is no longer so.
Now, there is a small break in the flow as the bonnet hump line flows between the left headlight assembly and the grill - thus the new nose is a little bit of an after-thought.
Nice observation... Take a look at this new picture posted in Car Chat. I think they flow. I never care for the HP (306 is plenty for me already) or other German guys. I was a bit disappointed when the full pictures were revealed, but the more I see (from different angles), the more I start to like this thing. Can't wait to see in person.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-15, 10:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Why?

Hilarious and well said
Old 01-08-15, 02:46 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
then if thats the case shoudlnt carry a F badge
should be called GS500F sport
i dont see the GSF being anyfaster than the RCF all roound
and you will be paying hell of alot more for a 2 more doors and a bigger boot with the same motor and gearbox

F is to M which is to AMG which is to RS
GSF is not in the same league as the others
Maybe I have missed all of these conversations but Didn't I pay around 20k more for my GS Fsport over a IS Fsport, and all i got was a bit more more room and a bigger Navi screen?
Old 01-08-15, 02:58 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Maybe I have missed all of these conversations but Didn't I pay around 20k more for my GS Fsport over a IS Fsport, and all i got was a bit more more room and a bigger Navi screen?
If that's how you feel, then you bought the wrong car. And you got ripped at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)