GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

G350 F Sport or IS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 07:18 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i hear you SW13GS, that why i got the GS lol

plus the GS looks much better, and how dare you choose against the GS interior sir, with its comfort and quality and awesomeness
Old 01-04-15, 07:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

It's kinda hard to have a snug personalized cockpit feel with deep bolster seats and at the same time have a feeling of spacious comfort and luxury at the same time.
Old 01-04-15, 08:05 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The GS is two levels up in quality compared to the IS. The IS is what I would buy for my daughter when she goes to college because its cheap and reliable. But for me its either a GS or LS all the way.
Old 01-04-15, 08:17 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brand new IS smells like every other econobox with leather, GS smells like a proper premium car. its not a decisive factor I know But it tells the tale of two cars in just one whiff.

There is nothing luxurious about IS at all, its almost the same as loaded Mazda 6 or Honda Accord in terms of interior quality and features, but if you want a fun four-door RWD then yeah its your right pick. If you want a proper luxury car GS is the way to go. In my opinion GS is much more of a car then what the price difference suggests.

Speaking of "everyday" interior in IS I noticed that cabin of an RC, even though its identical to IS, feels a lot more premium compared to IS due to additional leather inserts and details especially on the doors and seats. Headliner as well.
Old 01-04-15, 08:19 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
The GS is two levels up in quality compared to the IS. The IS is what I would buy for my daughter when she goes to college because its cheap and reliable. But for me its either a GS or LS all the way.
I'd personally rather drive a Kia Optima SXL than an IS. It's just too much money for too little car. Why I chose the GS. I actually never even looked at the IS until after I bought my GS. I just wanted a larger car and liked that everything in it is super padded and cushy. The quality in the GS, for the price point, I believe is unlike anything else. The GS is an expensive car, but what you actually get.. Really isn't that expensive of a car. Everything else in its class is more expensive and looks like a loose fitting suit compared to the GS. And I like my suits to fit perfectly that's why chose the GS.
Old 01-04-15, 08:20 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
The IS is what I would buy for my daughter when she goes to college because its cheap and reliable.
I hope she knows how lucky she is. My parents bought me a suit.
Old 01-04-15, 08:22 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregCanada
I hope she knows how lucky she is. My parents bought me a suit.
To help you land that job and buy your own Lexus I wasn't hating on the GS I just don't think the dash/center stack area looks as "modern" as it should. That was all I was getting at in regards to liking the IS inside more.
Old 01-05-15, 02:25 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sick21
I think the IS fits the younger cats a bit more. I like the interior of the IS better and I like the IS seats more but I just liked the GS more and I needed the extra space especially in the trunk.
Originally Posted by GregCanada
The interior differences are huge, i like the IS seats more...
Agree on the seats, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I did find it a bit odd that the IS has more comfortable seats than the GS, but everything else about the GS makes it more than worth it, in my opinion. Though I do suspect the GS Lux package has more comfortable seats than the F-Sport package.
Old 01-05-15, 02:44 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Every time I drive my GS I always say "damn this thing is nice!" <= with the exact same face, especially after driving my 2014 Accord. lol

I've driven the new LS FSport before and while it is a nicer car but I think the GS is almost as good. IS to GS is a big difference and the one thing that bothers me is the non-adjustable side bolsters, it grips my back too tight and it gets hot quick. I had to keep the seat vents on the IS loaner always blowing on high, on my GS I rarely used it unless it's really hot outside.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 01-05-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 03:18 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

IS, ES are nice but GS is different. I saw ES before GS and thought it was a nice looking sedan. Once I saw GS and got one myself, ES no longer looks as attractive. Performance wise, there's not really a comparison here between the two. IS is a bit too small and young looking for me.
Originally Posted by peteharvey
Because the GS is a new model relative to the 2009-16 E & 2010-17 5, the GS performs better relative to its peers.
German lovers and salesman don't seem to accept this fact. I was a Benz once and the guy was trying to tell me how the E350 is a better car than my GS. Unlike the GS, the E stops responding at some point regardless how much more you push on the gas pedal. There was a spanking new E on freeway this morning cutting left and right in front of me. I just kept cruising.

Last edited by 1111GS; 01-05-15 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 07:11 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sick21
Lol yes I do. I didn't say it was nicer, it just looks more modern and innovative. I like the IS' center stack more (minus the smaller screen). The passenger side of the GS' dash reminds me of an old Avalon. And the seats in the GS "look" boring.
+1 i like the layout of my 3IS, except for the tiny 7" screen, more than a 4GS, but there's no doubt the 4GS uses much better quality material. that big slab above the glove box looks outdated. The GS is definitely more of a "grown up" car than the IS, but to call the IS a girl's car...? makes no sense. I see plenty of females driving both GS and IS around.
Old 01-06-15, 08:08 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tea
]The GS is definitely more of a "grown up" car than the IS, but to call the IS a girl's car...? makes no sense. I see plenty of females driving both GS and IS around.
I agree, I don't think the IS is a girl's car at all. However, I do think the Lexus brand as a whole appeals more to women in comparison with it's German counterparts (but that's a separate discussion).
Old 01-06-15, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
IS to GS is a big difference and the one thing that bothers me is the non-adjustable side bolsters, it grips my back too tight and it gets hot quick. I had to keep the seat vents on the IS loaner always blowing on high, on my GS I rarely used it unless it's really hot outside.
You reminded me of something. Did you notice when the IS ventilated seats are on high they blow really loud? I kept turning them down. Not so with the GS.
Old 01-07-15, 12:43 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I agree, I don't think the IS is a girl's car at all. However, I do think the Lexus brand as a whole appeals more to women in comparison with it's German counterparts (but that's a separate discussion).
The IS250 is definitely a girl's car. No power/performance to get any guy excited. I think guys tend to go for the F-sport and IS350.

Definitely go for the GS if you value comfort, refinement, practicality, and exclusivity. It is a better overall car and package IMO.

Last edited by dchar; 01-07-15 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 01:05 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
The IS250 is definitely a girl's car, in my opinion. No power/performance to get me excited. I think guys tend to go for the F-sport and IS350.
The comment referred to the IS in general, but fixed.

Quick Reply: G350 F Sport or IS350 F Sport