GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My Issues Thus Far

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 07:27 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rant thread. 2014 RWD F Sport. Almost 6k miles. 1.) Rear driver's suspension creaks. I notice this when getting out and now that it's cold.
2.) Sunroof was leaking. Had repaired but not sure if it's actually fixed or not, yet.
3.) 70mph+ whistle inside of car that drives me nuts as well as other passengers. Dealer heard it and thinks they fixed it when the sunroof was fixed, but they didn't.
4.) WOT is great. But sometimes the intake makes this harsh popping/rattle. I'm assuming it's coming from the intake, kind of under the dash on passenger side is where the sound comes from.
5.) My most annoying issue. I think it's another "when cold outside" issue. Sounds like it's coming from the steering column. It's a rattle that intermittently clicks. Super frustrating and annoying.
6.) Battery goes dead if I don't drive the car for two days. But it's been a while since I've gone two days without driving it so I haven't had that issue in a while. I think that's all for now folks. Some issues I've had the dealer look at some not. My dealer is about 4 hours away so it's not exactly easy. I just expected more from my car otherwise I probably would have spent the extra money to have an A6 if I wanted a car full of wonky issues.
Old 01-03-15, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Really sorry you've been experiencing these issues. Was your GS a leftover new '14 model or was it pre-owned? In either case, the dealer should make good on fixing these problems. Knock on wood... my '13 GS F Sport has over 20k miles and aside from the occasional rattle and something wonky that happens to the sound system when the moon is full I've had no issues. I do notice when the sunroof cover is open (but not the sunroof) I get a lot of wind noise on the highway, so I just keep it closed. My SC300 has the wind noise as well, so I just figured it is something indemnic to Lexus.
Old 01-03-15, 07:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

You may want to start a formal request for having those issues resolved. You may also want to check your state's Lemon Law and what all it entails on both your part as well as Lexus.

Isn't Santa Fe the nearest Lexus dealership for you - maybe 3 hours away...instead of four?

Fortunately mine seems to be perfect in all regards. I'm very particular and I'm glad to report that I have found nothing wrong at all...
Old 01-03-15, 09:14 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

No Lexus of Albuquerque is closer, although Santa Fe is where I bought my car from. They're technically the same dealer though. I guess it's actually 3 1/2 hours not 4. And I don't think my car was a leftover. I bought it August 2nd, I don't think the '15s were out yet?.. I'll look at the build date tomorrow.

Last edited by sick21; 01-03-15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-03-15, 11:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Mine starts to make a ticking noise from the driver's B pillar when driving. I threw some light jabs at it and it went quiet again.

Driver's seatbelt mechanism is making a thump noise when I'm pulling it, it's like something is loose on the inside but it still grabs when pulling it fast and hard. So it is still working properly.

Sunroof rattles when in tilt mode when going over bumpy road. I can understand this cause it is really a 2-piece roof, not a one-piece roof. But no rattles when closed, but it is a bit noisier with the shade open vs. closed, like dseag2's.

Weak paint. I can't stress this enough. Wheel paint fade with scratch remover and my front bumper is peeling cause it was rubbing against my lip spoiler. It feels like the paint on this car isn't fully prepped and cured. I think my old Camry paint can take a beating better than this car.

Brakes made a loud noise when coming to a stop. But it only did it once and I was like.. What tha fuhh.. then it stopped and hasn't made a noise ever since. It was just raining that day maybe cause it was wet and dirty.

Other than that it's good, and good thing it's a lease cause I'm just going to trade it in again.
Old 01-04-15, 06:26 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Rant thread. 2014 RWD F Sport. Almost 6k miles. 1.) Rear driver's suspension creaks. I notice this when getting out and now that it's cold.
2.) Sunroof was leaking. Had repaired but not sure if it's actually fixed or not, yet.
3.) 70mph+ whistle inside of car that drives me nuts as well as other passengers. Dealer heard it and thinks they fixed it when the sunroof was fixed, but they didn't.
4.) WOT is great. But sometimes the intake makes this harsh popping/rattle. I'm assuming it's coming from the intake, kind of under the dash on passenger side is where the sound comes from.
5.) My most annoying issue. I think it's another "when cold outside" issue. Sounds like it's coming from the steering column. It's a rattle that intermittently clicks. Super frustrating and annoying.
6.) Battery goes dead if I don't drive the car for two days. But it's been a while since I've gone two days without driving it so I haven't had that issue in a while. I think that's all for now folks. Some issues I've had the dealer look at some not. My dealer is about 4 hours away so it's not exactly easy. I just expected more from my car otherwise I probably would have spent the extra money to have an A6 if I wanted a car full of wonky issues.
2) Does your sunroof drip on the inside of the car or just in the safety channels? Mine does the exact same thing, I can see drips in the upper right corner, but they go in the safety drain channels.. Took it in to be fixed and they told me it's designed like that, not to worry. That doesn't sound right to me.
3) I get the same thing and it's from the sun roof. If you close the sun room shade, the sound goes away. Let me know if they find a fix to that.
Old 01-04-15, 06:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Only small issue I have is the same sun roof shade rattles a bit when fully opened but not half way closed or closed.
Old 01-04-15, 08:43 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obadea
2) Does your sunroof drip on the inside of the car or just in the safety channels? Mine does the exact same thing, I can see drips in the upper right corner, but they go in the safety drain channels.. Took it in to be fixed and they told me it's designed like that, not to worry. That doesn't sound right to me. 3) I get the same thing and it's from the sun roof. If you close the sun room shade, the sound goes away. Let me know if they find a fix to that.
The whole front part was not sealing. When I would open the shade water was dripping onto my hand and the gearshift area.
Old 01-04-15, 09:39 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Do you guys have a snapping or clicking sound coming from the roof when going into steep driveways or taking dips at angles? My 2013 did that when it was new (I can kinda hear it in my 2015) so I took it in and the dealer diagnosed it as: "IMPROPER FREE PLAY OF SUNROOF HOUSING CAUSING ABNORMAL NOISE - STARTED TAS CASE # 130020649 LOWER HEADLINER AND TESTDROVE TO PIN POINT NOISE. INSTALLED DOUBLE LOCKING NUTS TO LEFT SIDE OF SUNROOF HOUSING." This fixed it! I wonder if I didn't complain, would I have a water leak issue...wouldn't really be able to find out since it never rains down here.
Old 01-04-15, 10:19 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Do you guys have a snapping or clicking sound coming from the roof when going into steep driveways or taking dips at angles?
Mine did this only a couple of times. Other than that, no issues at 5800 miles.
Old 01-04-15, 10:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Mine did this only a couple of times. Other than that, no issues at 5800 miles.
Yeah I forgot about that one. This is the loudest issue I have by far. When going into a driveway at an angle that's uneven or something the roof lets out a huge pop/bang. I'd almost rather scrape my front than go at an angle and hear that sound.
Old 01-04-15, 12:21 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry to hear you guys having these issues, ive driven mine for 5000 miles now and everything is perfect. The only I guess small complaint I have is that the rear suspension makes a loud noise whenever I go over an uneven surface at a good rate of speed. However it doesn't make the sound all the time , just when I approach with some speed.

One aspect that I dont like is when you Park and want to kill the engine but not the stereo you cant. The vehicle must shut off completely then I have to turn the stereo back on if I wanted to listen to some music or the radio.
Old 01-04-15, 12:25 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
sorry to hear you guys having these issues, ive driven mine for 5000 miles now and everything is perfect. The only I guess small complaint I have is that the rear suspension makes a loud noise whenever I go over an uneven surface at a good rate of speed. However it doesn't make the sound all the time , just when I approach with some speed.

One aspect that I dont like is when you Park and want to kill the engine but not the stereo you cant. The vehicle must shut off completely then I have to turn the stereo back on if I wanted to listen to some music or the radio.
If you shut off the car in neutral it will keep the radio playing but the engine will shut off.
Old 01-04-15, 02:55 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RyanC
If you shut off the car in neutral it will keep the radio playing but the engine will shut off.
Really ? thats interesting. You dont think it will have negative effects on the engine ?
Old 01-04-15, 02:58 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

I read somewhere that the new Lexus's cannot be a lemon. Its impossible.

Quick Reply: My Issues Thus Far