GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 06:14 PM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Now that my new GS is all of 24 hours old, I realize that I am going to want a good cell phone mounting solution. I didn't see a thread discussing good possibilities so I thought to go ahead and start one.

Others may have differing requirements, but I am looking for.....
1. No drilling - Uses some other time of clip or attachment to the car
2. No blocking of a cup holder - we only have two up front!
3. Location which allows for reasonably unobtrusive power connection from the outlet in the center console (Note: I do say "reasonably" and am not expecting miracles)
4. Does not interfere with the car control access or impede good window/windshield visibility

Won't matter for most but I use an HTC Droid Incredible phone.

I would appreciate any thoughts, product suggestions, creative thinking, etc....

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-12-12, 05:21 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarias
Now that my new GS is all of 24 hours old, I realize that I am going to want a good cell phone mounting solution. I didn't see a thread discussing good possibilities so I thought to go ahead and start one.

Others may have differing requirements, but I am looking for.....
3. Location which allows for reasonably unobtrusive power connection from the outlet in the center console (Note: I do say "reasonably" and am not expecting miracles)
4. Does not interfere with the car control access or impede good window/windshield visibility

Won't matter for most but I use an HTC Droid Incredible phone.

I would appreciate any thoughts, product suggestions, creative thinking, etc....

Thanks, Jim
What's wrong with the tray in the center console?
Old 11-13-12, 04:41 PM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Default A good cell phone mount for the GS - Finally!

A few months ago, I posted about my search for a good cell phone mount for the GS-350. My requirements were:

After searching all over and trying a few, all of which had certain minus points, I finally found a great one from a company called Mountek. They make a quality mount that uses the CD drive in the console to attach the mount in a simple, yet ingenious, method. It is easily attached and removed. And is very secure.

The phone is now at a perfect location for viewing and access. Low profile and a very short distance for the power cord to be run from the console outlets. In landscape mode, the phone does block the very bottom section of the clock and just the top of the button line containing the hazard lights button... Obviously, the size of your phone will determine what is blocked. A picture is attached.

The company website is www.mountek.com . Or you can order it from Amazon like I did for $25.00.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)-cellmount.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by jmarias:
mkmckinley (03-21-20), SHuerta11 (03-14-19)
Old 11-13-12, 05:23 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarias
A few months ago, I posted about my search for a good cell phone mount for the GS-350. My requirements were:

After searching all over and trying a few, all of which had certain minus points, I finally found a great one from a company called Mountek. They make a quality mount that uses the CD drive in the console to attach the mount in a simple, yet ingenious, method. It is easily attached and removed. And is very secure.

The phone is now at a perfect location for viewing and access. Low profile and a very short distance for the power cord to be run from the console outlets. In landscape mode, the phone does block the very bottom section of the clock and just the top of the button line containing the hazard lights button... Obviously, the size of your phone will determine what is blocked. A picture is attached.

The company website is www.mountek.com . Or you can order it from Amazon like I did for $25.00.
which model is it, thanks.
Old 11-13-12, 05:44 PM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
which model is it, thanks.
Regardless of the phone selection on their website, they really only have universal model. It is the "nGroove CD Slot Mount". I think they put a "MT-5000" model number on it. But they really only have the one product with replacement bottom support clips if you remove yours and misplace it - Nice design feature by the way for oddly located charging ports!
Old 11-15-12, 07:19 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

That's actually not bad at all. Nice mount!
Old 11-15-12, 08:08 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

So it slides into the Disc slot? And just hangs there?
How far does it go in? Does it make it to the carrier?

Wonder what long term affects it will have on the slot. The pressure of snapping in and out the phone.
Old 11-15-12, 09:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^wow congrats on the "8,000" post

this is a great design....that being said wonder how long before some one "copies" it and sells it for $10.
Old 11-15-12, 02:38 PM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neurocity
So it slides into the Disc slot? And just hangs there?
How far does it go in? Does it make it to the carrier?

Wonder what long term affects it will have on the slot. The pressure of snapping in and out the phone.

The depth is 0.63 inches per the manufacturer into the slot. Not far enough to make it to the carrier. When you tighten the screw which splits the blade in the CD drive, it is very tight and secure. No play and I have noticed no vibration at all being transferred to the phone. A very solid mount.

Should be little to no pressure to the drive opening when inserting or removing the phone. The device uses a two sided ratcheted "grab" that you close, "squeezing the phone in securely. A single button releases the ratchet. Unless you are doing something very odd, there should be no stress to the drive mount itself.
Old 09-25-14, 08:55 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help out if you told the guys what model you bought
Old 09-25-14, 09:22 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the Proclip and let is block the vent a bit. Seems to work fine.
Old 09-26-14, 06:01 AM
GS35014
Driver School Candidate

I just use a cell phone holder that sits in the cup holder that I bought in china for 3 bucks and works just fine... wont have to worry about the cd drive or anything...
Old 09-26-14, 09:29 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got same one for my wife accord. Sweet mount exept it wont swivel too far out left or right.
I hate to use nav on the phone, it uses data
Old 09-26-14, 10:07 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very nice design, i think i might just have to buy one
Old 09-27-14, 11:04 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Cool design.

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)