GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How many miles did you go before your first service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 09:56 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How many miles did you go before your first service?

Just wondering how important it is to have the 1000 mile service at exactly 1000 miles?

How many miles did you go before your first service?

Does Lexus use "break in" oil? Or is the first service and oil change just to ensure there are no problems with the car? Do they even cut the oil filter open to check for debris?

I'm 100 miles from my dealer. Have another appt. at the end of Jan. so would rather wait and kill two birds with one stone. But not at the expense of my new Baby

The car will probably have about 1500 miles on it by then.

TIA
Old 12-30-14, 10:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm going every 10K miles. My FSport RWD tires can't be rotated anyway, so the 5K service without tire rotation or oil change is worthless, it's just a waste of time and money.

My maintenance light is already on cause I'm almost at 5K but I'm just going to reset it myself.
Old 12-30-14, 10:51 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I'm going every 10K miles. My FSport RWD tires can't be rotated anyway, so the 5K service without tire rotation or oil change is worthless, it's just a waste of time and money.

My maintenance light is already on cause I'm almost at 5K but I'm just going to reset it myself.
Are you saying the first service for your U.S. model isn't until 5k miles?

Guess I should look at the service manual as my dealer said first service at 1000 miles?
Old 12-30-14, 11:13 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Just looked at the maint. manual and the 1000 mile free service is to open the hood and have a look see and put some miles on the vehicle test driving

Sorry for wasting your time guys, I'll wait and drop it off while I go to my other appt., if they have a loaner. Else wait for the free 5k oil change.
Old 12-30-14, 12:09 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

First oil change is at 10K miles. 5K miles is only for tire rotation, top off fluids and inspect a few items. I only went in for the first 5K service because it was free. My dealer tried to get me to come in for oil changes every 5K miles. They put a 5K reminder sticker on my windshield and set my car to maintenance reminder for 5K oil changes. I'll only be going in once a year or every 10K miles for service.
Old 12-30-14, 12:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think ur dealer will change ur oil every 5K miles, they only want u to come so they can milk the $$$ out of u. My old Toyota dealer does that even to cars with synthetic oil, then once ur there they don't do jack except rotate ur tires and some basic inspections, however, I don't think they inspect anything on a new car and they charge like $80-90, basically only for tire rotation. Easy money for them.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-30-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 12:39 PM
99alta
Intermediate

How ridiculous is that, bringing the car in at 1000 miles just so Toyota can cover their butts by having a look to ensure floor mats are properly installed and to just look the car over and take it for a spin.

Kinda ticks me off actually! As the dealer made it sound like its very important to bring it in at 1000 miles. So I figured they used a break in oil or needed to do something important to the vehicle.
The vehicle recently spent three weeks at the shop with 800 miles on it, they could have done it then. But no they told me I need to bring it back at 1000 miles and it was important I didn't go much over that milage!

All my oil changes are free, but it's not convenient to drive 200 miles for an oil change!
I usually do my own oil changes anyway and cut the filter open to ensure there is no metal in it.
So I'll be doing the service myself at around 10,000 km which is equivalent to around 6,300 miles.

Apparently I also get eight free changes at any dealer because I bought Lexus extended warranty. Which works well for me as there are two dealers 100 miles south or north of me on the same main highway.
Old 12-30-14, 12:41 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

standard practice for toyota and lexus dealerships is oil changed every 10k miles. services between are just inspections with tire rotation when applicable. I recommend full synthetic at every oil change. they dont cut open oil filters because its not the old style metal can. they just replace the filter and o-rings in the filter housing.
Attached Thumbnails How many miles did you go before your first service?-oil.jpg  
Old 12-30-14, 01:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
I usually do my own oil changes anyway and cut the filter open to ensure there is no metal in it. So I'll be doing the service myself at around 10,000 km which is equivalent to around 6,300 miles.

Apparently I also get eight free changes at any dealer because I bought Lexus extended warranty. Which works well for me as there are two dealers 100 miles south or north of me on the same main highway.
Have you thought about what could happen (if say for example) a piston oil ring breaks and the broken piston oil ring deeply scores the cylinder wall of your 'very expensive' engine...and your friendly Lexus dealer looks at your vehicle's service records and sees they have no record that you have brought the car in to one of the network's dealerships for required engine oil and filter changes to maintain the warranty? I suspect they'll try to get you out-the-door with a repair cost to you of hopefully under $10,000 to replace the short block. How will you convince Lexus that you (1) changed the engine oil and filter at the required service date/mileage schedule, and (2) that you used the proper engine oil viscosity and oil filter, and (3) that you checked the fluid levels and did not run the engine without oil or too little oil? Just asking...so you can plan in advance...
Old 12-30-14, 02:33 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Here we go again. Check this out:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues
Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:

Read your warranty. Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online. Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website.

Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.

Service your car at regular intervals.
This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.

Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service.
This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.

Complain.
If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, or the FTC.
Old 12-30-14, 02:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Yep, I'm fully aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can be assured without doubt that all dealers are familiar with it too. Dealers will protect their interests and not just be casually pushed into doing warranty work if they believe the customer has not fulfilled their requirements. Dealers only get paid when they are reimbursed by the manufacturer. And most significant repairs are evaluated by the car maker to see what the fault was that caused the failure. Many dealers deny warranty repairs if service requirements are not being handled correctly 'in their expert opinion'. Happens hundreds, if not thousands, of times every week. And it causes major problems - mostly for the customer...
Old 12-30-14, 03:30 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My '13 was put into service in late March of 2012. It now has 7,500 miles on the clock. I change the oil yearly "whether it needs it or not". Even though I haven't hit 10k miles, I've still had 3 oil changes with the last one being "on the house".

Toyota doesn't use break-in oil in these cars and their standard, bulk oil, that they use in the GS-350 is a repackaged full synthetic so I find there is no need to bring in any special oil for my oil changes.

I did bring it in for the 1,000 mile check, mostly for the pastries, and I need to get out and drive this garage queen more.
Old 12-30-14, 11:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Do they really use Mobil 1 oil on these cars?
Old 12-30-14, 11:39 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Do they really use Mobil 1 oil on these cars?
why would you think they'd use mobil 1?

Toyota/Lexus has their own branded oil. If they're sticking by the book, it should be Toyota branded motor oil.
Old 12-30-14, 11:42 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

the 1000mile is also the chance for you to complain about all your niggles for them to fix and change any of your settings .

If you have no complaints, I'd agree skip it.

Quick Reply: How many miles did you go before your first service?