GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So, Who are YOU?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 05:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I guess I'll jump in I'm 26 not married, no kids, I work in medical finance at a hospital. Went to school for Law but not many jobs out here in my area so I'm still looking. My father started me off with Lexus as my first car was a 2004 Lexus GS430 when I was in college. I have had a 2006 GS 300, 2007 GS 450h, 2013 GS 350 F-Sport and now 2014 GS 350 F-Sport.
Old 12-26-14, 01:03 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmyth
Looks like Toyota nailed their demographic to bring down the average age of a Lexus owner. Like just about everyone else I'm 32, a Software Engineering Manager, bought my '13 FSport a couple years ago... really wanted a A7 but after research really didn't want the problems. Came from a heavily modded 370z roadster that got just a bit too dangerous on the track with slicks and no roll cage . My choice was either hack up that car even more for the cage or dump it for a nice dependable daily driver (GS) and a go kart! Best of both worlds.
I guess I am too old to own this car. 50. Should I have bought a Mercedes? Damn, I feel foolish.

No kids, long term girlfriend. Independent consultant for financial systems and operations.

Always have had Toyotas and buy mainly because of reliability. First car was a used 1978 Toyota Corona (you young folks won't know this, the predecessor to the Cressida which was the predecessor to the Avalon). Then bought a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix - new ( big mistake). Wife of the time had a 1988 Toyota Corolla SR5. 1994 we bought a Camry (sold with 275k miles) and Celica (still on the road with 200K which my nephew has, 36 MPG). Then bought a used 2000 Lexus GS 300 and traded that in with 200K miles for my current 2014 GS. She has a 2002 Toyota RAV4. Yes, she had to be a Toyota person for me to go out with her.
Old 12-26-14, 01:35 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
I guess I am too old to own this car. 50. Should I have bought a Mercedes? Damn, I feel foolish.

No kids, long term girlfriend. Independent consultant for financial systems and operations.

Always have had Toyotas and buy mainly because of reliability. First car was a used 1978 Toyota Corona (you young folks won't know this, the predecessor to the Cressida which was the predecessor to the Avalon). Then bought a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix - new ( big mistake). Wife of the time had a 1988 Toyota Corolla SR5. 1994 we bought a Camry (sold with 275k miles) and Celica (still on the road with 200K which my nephew has, 36 MPG). Then bought a used 2000 Lexus GS 300 and traded that in with 200K miles for my current 2014 GS. She has a 2002 Toyota RAV4. Yes, she had to be a Toyota person for me to go out with her.
Oh I know what that is and that sir was a classic
Old 12-26-14, 02:12 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
Cars With the Oldest Buyers
By Thomas C. Frohlich October 2, 2014

http://247wallst.com/special-report/...dest-buyers/2/

5. Lexus
> Avg. age of buyer: 56.9 years
> 2013 U.S. unit sales: 273,847
> Unit sales pct. chg. (2012-2013): 12.2%

Like several cars on this list, Lexus is both a luxury brand and a popular one among older car buyers. Lexus reported a 12.2% increase in U.S. sales last year from the year before, among the higher growth rates nationwide. However, Lexus — Japanese carmaker Toyota’s (NYSE: TM) premium brand — still trailed its German competitors in terms of worldwide market share and sales. Lexus also trails its German rivals in the U.S. as well. Lexus sold less than 275,000 vehicles in America last year, while German luxury brands such as BMW and Mercedes each sold well over 300,000 units.
Okay, I admit that I contribute to the average age listed above. I'm 61. This is my first Lexus and first lease (no, I've never owned a Buick--can't stand the look or reputation as an old person's car).

My story: My wife doesn't work. We have three kids between 21-25, and all are still at home. I work in the Wall Street financial district, but I'm not a New Yorker--I live in semi-rural Pennsylvania.

As you can tell from my signature, I have zero brand loyalty. I grew up loving Chevys and owned a bunch of 'em before I grew out of my fear of trying something different. Some of you lifetime Toyota/Lexus buyers should think about that, it might do you some good.

I just finished paying out about $250,000 to put just two of my three kids through college. Fortunately for me, one of 'em wasn't interested.

You guys laughing about not having kids are either smart or chicken. They are expensive. They've cost me nearly a million not counting the college bills. Sometimes I think wistfully about the Ferrari I could've owned without these kids, but oh well. How else am I going to get grandchildren? Who else will visit me in the nursing home, twenty years from now?

I'm not in IT; I'm in human resources, but I have a global team reporting to me which allows me to travel all over the world on my company's dime.

My 27 month lease runs out in 2015. Part of me wants to keep the car, but another part of me wants to experiment while I'm still working (remember, I'm 61) and have the income. Besides, only old people (chronologically or mentally) have trouble breaking away from the tried and true to try something new and different. I've spent my Christmas vacation so far running 21 different build scenarios on the Porsche website for the Macan S. I'm still running build scenarios on that car. It would be different.

Not to change the topic, but what is it with the Germans? Why does it take a minimum of 25K in options (the base car is always so stripped you can't help but laugh) to get the car you really want (I refuse to buy a stripped down car no matter the nameplate)? The Japanese don't employ that tactic. It's one factor that brought me to Lexus and turned me away from BMW and Mercedes.

It's amazing to me that so many of you are under 40. The only people I've seen at my Lexus dealer, the ones driving ES, GS, or LS, are in their late 40s, 50s, or 60s. I've seen young IS drivers, but not the bigger cars. I think you young guys are outliers. The majority of Lexus buyers are closer to my age, and are probably not avid users of the Internet, or care to look up anything about their new car. Few people my age are likely to want to mod their cars, so why find a site like Club Lexus where that is a big part of the discussion (I don't mod either).

Last edited by Trek; 12-26-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
It's amazing to me that so many of you are under 40. The only people I've seen at my Lexus dealer, the ones driving ES, GS, or LS, are in their late 40s, 50s, or 60s. I've seen young IS drivers, but not the bigger cars. I think you young guys are outliers. The majority of Lexus buyers are closer to my age, and are probably not avid users of the Internet, or care to look up anything about their new car. Few people my age are likely to want to mod their cars, so why find a site like Club Lexus where that is a big part of the discussion (I don't mod either).
Correct, this is a population of GS owners AND CL members. Average age of a GS owner is much higher than that of a GS owner who is also a CL member.
Old 12-26-14, 06:11 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

The Toyota Corona was the predecessor to the Camry.
Old 12-27-14, 10:38 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trek
You guys laughing about not having kids are either smart or chicken....

My 27 month lease runs out in 2015. Part of me wants to keep the car, but another part of me wants to experiment while I'm still working (remember, I'm 61) and have the income. Besides, only old people (chronologically or mentally) have trouble breaking away from the tried and true to try something new and different. I've spent my Christmas vacation so far running 21 different build scenarios on the Porsche website for the Macan S. I'm still running build scenarios on that car. It would be different.

Not to change the topic, but what is it with the Germans? Why does it take a minimum of 25K in options (the base car is always so stripped you can't help but laugh) to get the car you really want (I refuse to buy a stripped down car no matter the nameplate)? The Japanese don't employ that tactic. It's one factor that brought me to Lexus and turned me away from BMW and Mercedes.
Probably a bit of both on the kids thing.

For what it's worth, Porsche is a completely different beast from the Lexus, and as far as I've read (along with personal experience), the most reliable of the German brands. That being said, the options list is ridiculous. We have a new Boxster S, and if you can get over the 20-25k in options, they are awesome cars. I have yet to drive the Macan, but I'm sure it's fantastic. I'd go ahead and give it a try if I were you. You can always come back to Lexus if you choose to.
Old 12-27-14, 01:46 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow so many techy people here. No longer a tech person but I like to come here because it's fun to read from others, see others' cars and when needed ask a question or two. Been to a few other forums but CL and 4GS in particular has been by far the best - a group of nice/helpful people. Every time someone posts a question, the thread gets bombarded by responses.
I worked as an EE for about 5 years and decided it was time to look for something else more stable/dependable and independent (The tech field wasn't going anywhere at time. I also got married and started to grow a family Left engineering and did some more schooling. I've been in health care profession for a while now. In my circle, there are three 4GS, 1 LS, 1 LX (The other guys/gals prefer German/Italian cars.) One F Sport, two premium and my luxury. Two male and two female. One in early 50s and three including myself in 30s. Three out of four are ex engineers.
Old 12-27-14, 04:30 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

56 year old Mechanical Engineer
Have to admit I'm a techie though and was building BBS's before the Internet was around.
My latest project was to buy nine high end servers (that where highly over locked) to crunch data for Cancer Research after my younger sister passed from Cancer.
Drove my wife nuts, 3000 sq. ft. House and there where computers everywhere!

Raised a couple of families and am happily married. Figured I needed to raise two families to counteract the "DINKS" here LOL
Kids are long gone and have eight beautiful grand children, that are going to be part of our lives as we get older
This is my first Lexus coming from an 3G Acura TL. Although I like my TL and it has low milage I wanted something new before I retire soon this year. I just Love my Lexus, it brings a smile to my face ever time I drive it
Can't wait to put some miles on the car by driving 3500 miles to visit my Son and family in v.a.
Old 12-27-14, 07:44 PM
jam33
Driver School Candidate

39, married, 3 kids. Kids are all under 12 and when they ride in my GS they must remember two words - clean and gentle. Of course, no eating or drinking.
I'm an engineer.
Old 12-27-14, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
56 year old Mechanical Engineer
Have to admit I'm a techie though and was building BBS's before the Internet was around.
My latest project was to buy nine high end servers (that where highly over locked) to crunch data for Cancer Research after my younger sister passed from Cancer.
Drove my wife nuts, 3000 sq. ft. House and there where computers everywhere!

Raised a couple of families and am happily married. Figured I needed to raise two families to counteract the "DINKS" here LOL
Kids are long gone and have eight beautiful grand children, that are going to be part of our lives as we get older
This is my first Lexus coming from an 3G Acura TL. Although I like my TL and it has low milage I wanted something new before I retire soon this year. I just Love my Lexus, it brings a smile to my face ever time I drive it
Can't wait to put some miles on the car by driving 3500 miles to visit my Son and family in v.a.
Hey, congratulations on several levels. 1) Doing something truly meaningful in your career that can help save lives, 2) retiring at 57, especially after raising two families (I'm a DINK and can't retire in my 50s), and 3) driving a 4GS.
Old 12-27-14, 08:38 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'll chime in as the oldest so far...67. Married 47 years. I have been in the industrial machine shop business for 31 years. I have always been a car guy. This is my fifth Lexus, including my wife's GX in my sig. I have had a lot of good cars, I think this may be the best overall sedan I have had.

I had an '07 5 series that didn't hold a candle to this car, not to mention the constant visits to the dealer. Dumped that baby when the warranty ran out. Also had an '05 Acura RL, and an '11 ES350.

The best car I had was a C5 Corvette, which I regretted selling the day after I sold it, but it is not a sedan.

I also have a 9 second drag Camaro that I built, tune and drive.

I am only a tech guy in a mechanical sense, but I am an active reader of this and several other forums, all car related. Huge wealth of information on forums.
Old 12-28-14, 06:22 AM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

34 year old Air Traffic Controller. Married with 2 kids. Came from an Infiniti G37 Sedan
Old 12-29-14, 03:18 PM
ZbynekZ
Driver

First European
I'm 35 years old and living in Prague which is capital of Czech Republic in the heart of Europe. Married with two children.

I'm a co-owner of company which is into HR security, business intelligence, fraud detection and voice analysis.

I can tell I'm a petrolhead from my childhood. I like everything which is motorized After ownership of several european brands like Skoda, Citroen or Rover I jumped into japanese cars and now I am having 4th Lexus and Nissan 350Z. My wife is having Toyota Auris wagon. I was never into german cars beacuse here in Europe it's like a tampon. Every p--sy has one Last summer I sold my Aprilia RSV4 superbike which was really awesome piece of Italian engeneering. But as I am getting older my blood boiling level is decreasing

I'm also ice-hockey and NFL fan

Anyway if anybode of you would like to come to see this, you are everytime welcomed!
Old 12-29-14, 05:57 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dseag2, thanks for the kind words!

My life has truly been blessed!
Buying my Lexus GS outright is the icing on the cake When I started working in industry i wanted a BMW in the worst way. But alas marriage and family commitments put that idea on the back burner, while I bought practical family vehicles.
I've been working for the same company going on 33 years now and loved my job for most of that time. It's still a great job and the company I work for is awesome!

But it's time for the new Gens to take the baton and since I have a DB pension ( and so does my wonderful wife) it's time to move on to the next stage of life.

So I hop into my new LEXUS (didn't want the Beamer anymore ) driving around feeling like a king
Life is good

Quick Reply: So, Who are YOU?