Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

This thing isn't gonna pop on me is it?! Now I'm worried. lol
Old 01-09-15, 06:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
This thing isn't gonna pop on me is it?! Now I'm worried. lol
If there is any kind of sidewall damage (e.g. cut, slit, slice, tear, gouge, bubble) other than just a scuff or abrasion I personally would be concerned about the tire's safety integrity.

I would look at it this way - let's say that your car was involved in an accident and was going to be repaired, and among other damage done to the car one of your tires was damaged exactly like the tire you are currently concerned about. Would your insurance company have the tire replaced without you bringing it to their attention? If they did not automatically replace it (without you bringing it to their attention), what do you think the insurance adjuster/agent would do if you took pictures of the damaged tire and asked an authorized representative of the insurance company (e.g. adjuster/agent) to sign-off on the tire in question being safe? (That would bring in possible negligence on the part of the insurance company if the tire was determined to have caused or contributed to a future accident.) My guess is, your insurance company would replace that tire in question (a) either without being asked, or (b) after you pushed the issue. I do not think the insurance company would refuse to replace the damaged tire. It would not be worth it to them, not to replace it...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-09-15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 07:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
If there is any kind of sidewall damage (e.g. cut, slit, slice, tear, gouge, bubble) other than just a scuff or abrasion I personally would be concerned about the tire's safety integrity.

I would look at it this way - let's say that your car was involved in an accident and was going to be repaired, and among other damage done to the car one of your tires was damaged exactly like the tire you are currently concerned about. Would your insurance company have the tire replaced without you bringing it to their attention? If they did not automatically replace it (without you bringing it to their attention), what do you think the insurance adjuster/agent would do if you took pictures of the damaged tire and asked an authorized representative of the insurance company (e.g. adjuster/agent) to sign-off on the tire in question being safe? (That would bring in possible negligence on the part of the insurance company if the tire was determined to have caused or contributed to a future accident.) My guess is, your insurance company would replace that tire in question (a) either without being asked, or (b) after you pushed the issue. I do not think the insurance company would refuse to replace the damaged tire. It would not be worth it to them, not to replace it...
Ur right. Even if it structurally safe, knowing my tire is sliced bothers me like hell. lol

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 01-09-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I personally would not worry about it at all, but if it worries you you should have it replaced.
Old 01-11-15, 06:53 AM
MrDuke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my personal opinion the integrity of the tire is not compromised and should not cause problems. But I also say that it was not like that when I went there why should it be like that when I leave.

I work in a dealership and I can tell you first hand that the employees for the most part could give a **** less about your vehicle. Last week one of my techs drove a car thru the garage door. Literally thru the door it was opened like 2 feet and this genius goes straight thru it.

Took a G35 coupe that I owned a few years back to the dealer to get brakes. The next day BANG when I hit a bump. Hmmmm that's not normal. Take it back to the dealer like hey something ain't right here. Low and behold only one bolt was holding the caliper on and the thing was flopping around. Left a nice dent in the back of my rims.

But if you raise enough hell. You will get what you want replaced either for free or at a discount. Nobody wants a angry service customer upset around potential customers.
Old 01-11-15, 06:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd replace the tire if the GS isn't leased.
I don't believe there's a safety issue but I'm OCD with my vehicle.

My dealer curb rashed a front rim and sent it out for a refurb.After a couple of months I have two chips and clearcoat puddling small dimples here and there.Dealer said they would send it out again but I bought a new oem wheel still in the box on Ebay for $301 with a make offer.OCD strikes!

I hate going to the dealer and have a Weds appt.....

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-11-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-11-15, 08:03 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm more comfortable going to an oil changer for simple maintenance than the dealership for this reason. I can see how my car is treated and I know the oil and filter are changed.
Old 01-11-15, 09:30 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
I'm more comfortable going to an oil changer for simple maintenance than the dealership for this reason. I can see how my car is treated and I know the oil and filter are changed.
Had a friend get an oil change at Jiffy Lube and the tech incorrectly screwed the cap back on. Needless to say, all the oil leaked out and she cooked her engine. I don't know how she didn't know this as to all (?) cars have an indicator light. Correct me if I'm wrong. She had an early 90s Saturn.

My own personal experience with how others handle your car: Went to Firestone to get an alignment. Told tech that car is lowered. When they finished the alignment, tech parked the car over the curb and scraped the bottom of the front end. Next time, I guess I have to be specific and tell them not to park too close to the curb when they are done.
Old 01-12-15, 05:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Getting my tire replaced as we post.

Wheel will be repaired later. I can live with scratched wheel, my biggest concern was the tire.

My original dealer said it isn't covered cause it isn't leaking and I said the hell with u. Lazy *** pos he gonna wait until it blows up on me or what. Dammit!! Then I went to another dealer and got the repair approved right away and I didn't even buy the car from them. It's a $450 tire!! Daaamnnnn!!!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 01-12-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 05:42 PM
CleanStock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost choked a kid at the dealer this afternoon. He whipped my car into the breezeway like he was a stunt driver. I gave him this look like he lost his damn mind. Why is it the people most reckless with your car are the ones who can't afford to fix a "mistake" they'd make with it?
Old 01-13-15, 08:44 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Here it is. And of course I got dirty foot prints everywhere when I got the car back. What is it with these dealers with dirty feet?!

And I can't resist not to take pic of the whole car.

Old 01-13-15, 08:58 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome to hear you got it replaced free of charge, I feel much better seeing your ride on that brand new tire now!! Let the high performance driving commence with confidence once again!

Crazy how results vary just by talking to someone else.. good thing you didnt give up..

And oh yeah, she is looking beautiful!!
Old 01-13-15, 09:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Awesome to hear you got it replaced free of charge, I feel much better seeing your ride on that brand new tire now!! Let the high performance driving commence with confidence once again!

Crazy how results vary just by talking to someone else.. good thing you didnt give up..

And oh yeah, she is looking beautiful!!
Yea man now this is high performance! I was low performance for a few days. lol

I guess it really depends on the service advisor. I think the first one is lazy but this one is willing to help out his customers. Highly recommend Brad in Lexus of Woodland Hills.

Quick Reply: The way others handle your car.