GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My "new" GS450h - purchased by an average guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 12:07 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Lm, I gotta eat my words, pass the salt

I got the ES300h for the rear seat room and the lower price. If I didn't need the space, I definitely would have gone for either GS300h or GS450h. Lexus has done a helluva job making a spectrum of hybrids, the ES300h and GS300h being efficiency-focused with decent power, while the GS450h has a ton of power with decent fuel efficiency. I would be happy to get 34 mpg on a car with over 300 hp and a mountain of torque. Overall the GS has a nicer interior, better body control and sharper handling but the price delta to the ES, when new, is big.

My dream car is also a Tesla P85D+ but I do a lot of long distance driving and I don't have any charging infra around. I used to love turbos for the torque but a big hybrid gets that with much better fuel efficiency. Once you go electric, hybrid or BEV, you really can't go back...

Last edited by chromedome; 01-09-15 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 07:17 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats! GSh is truly a special car few will ever experience
Thank you so much and I totally agree. I'm honored to hear from such as established member such as yourself Hoovey. Your review of the GS450h (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...us-gs450h.html) was one of those posts that led me to look into this car more seriously.

A great read for any fan of cars in this segment.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Lm, I gotta eat my words, pass the salt

I used to love turbos for the torque but a big hybrid gets that with much better fuel efficiency. Once you go electric, hybrid or BEV, you really can't go back...
I'm glad you didn't take my response the wrong way chromedome. People definitely change opinions on cars all the time, so save the salt

I am exactly the same as you - I used to love the efficiency of turbo's (especially smaller ones where turbo lag isn't an issue). I've owned and extensively driven many cars with turbo setups (i.e. Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T/GSX, Mazda Miata with a turbo setup, etc). Those are fun cars, especially if you ever get to track them or do some runs through some twisties.

In my opinion, it isn't really the torque with these turbo cars that's fun, it's the feeling of "boost." For the cars that I had driven, that was achieved at somewhere around 2500 rpm and then would you get a instant power band when the turbo spooled up.

The instant torque of a hybrid or electric car is completely different through. I love the fact that I can step on the pedal at almost any point and the car jolts forward because it engages the engine + electric motors almost instantaneously (especially in Sport/Sport+ modes where throttle response & fuel mapping is also adjusted).

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-09-15, 08:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

You're right, electric "boost" is a lot more linear and muscular than turbo boost. It's amazing to see a P85D leap off the line with just the motor whining. It's also funny that the BMW i8 has an electric boost gauge for the front wheels when the rear wheels are already driven by a turbo engine.

I just realized the GS450h comes with full LED interior lighting unlike any other model. Do you have any night time interior pictures? I've changed my ES interior bulbs to LEDs but it feels cold and dim, probably because my 6000K color temperature is too blue. Maybe my LEDs are also throwing light at the wrong angle. I would love to see how Lexus did it. Thanks!

Last edited by chromedome; 01-09-15 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I just realized the GS450h comes with full LED interior lighting unlike any other model. Do you have any night time interior pictures?
I don't believe the interior lighting of the GS450h is any different than the other GS models.
Old 01-11-15, 12:39 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

You're right, electric "boost" is a lot more linear and muscular than turbo boost. It's amazing to see a P85D leap off the line with just the motor whining. It's also funny that the BMW i8 has an electric boost gauge for the front wheels when the rear wheels are already driven by a turbo engine.

I just realized the GS450h comes with full LED interior lighting unlike any other model. Do you have any night time interior pictures? I've changed my ES interior bulbs to LEDs but it feels cold and dim, probably because my 6000K color temperature is too blue. Maybe my LEDs are also throwing light at the wrong angle. I would love to see how Lexus did it. Thanks!
I just have the one picture of the interior/dash in my OP.

All of the overhead lamps/light in the GS450h are LED's (even the ones in the rear for the passengers), but the door panel does not have LED's.

Pretty easy & cheap to change out though: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-panels.html

If I do ever having my camera handy at night in the car, I'll take some pics for you.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-11-15, 06:38 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Guess I got my info wrong because the GSh and other GS models all have LED interior lights although the door lights use bulbs. My mistake, no worries about the interior photos then. The link you gave showed some really bright LED panels for the door lights, I'm going to swap out my LED bulbs for those.
Old 01-13-15, 08:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Thank you so much and I totally agree. I'm honored to hear from such as established member such as yourself Hoovey. Your review of the GS450h (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...us-gs450h.html) was one of those posts that led me to look into this car more seriously.

A great read for any fan of cars in this segment.

~ Im2bz2p345
No problem and thank you for the kudos. That was definitely one of my favorite reviews to do thus far. Cheers to many happy miles with your GSh good sir!
Old 03-09-15, 01:04 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats A good choice!
Old 03-09-15, 08:17 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by hube
Congrats A good choice!
Thank you my friend hube!

Of course your GS450h looks so much more aggressive with the F-Sport package (argh, wish we had that option on the 2013-2014 models in the U.S.), the upgraded rims, being lowered, the GS350 rear diffuser/exhaust tips (love this mod/look btw).

Hope you're enjoying your vehicle - I sure am with mine.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 03-09-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 02:26 PM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this car. Everyone has the style they like. I am crazy about the sporty and clean look. Others prefer the comfort, which is a little lower on my list. But whatever your preference the gs has it all
Old 05-21-15, 09:37 AM
Bowswin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice man congrats
Is that steering wheel stock?
The reason I ask is mine is all leather.
Old 05-21-15, 10:24 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bowswin
Very nice man congrats
Is that steering wheel stock?
The reason I ask is mine is all leather.
Ty my friend!

Yes, the steering wheel is stock. For 2013-2014, it came with the luxury package. Here is a package breakdown for you for the 2013-2014 model years (in 2015, the bamboo steering wheel is no longer offered with any package).

GS 350 WITH PREMIUM PACKAGE*
Includes all GS 350 equipment plus:
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Power rear sunshade

GS 350 WITH LUXURY PACKAGE*
Includes all GS 350 with Premium Package
equipment plus:
- Drive Mode Select adds Sport S+ mode
- 18-inch split-nine-spoke alloy wheels1
with painted
- Silver finish and all-season tires
Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel
- Linear espresso wood interior trim
- Semi-aniline leather interior trim
- 18-way power front seats with power-adjustable
four-way lumbar, side bolsters, articulating backrest,
extendable lower cushions and butterfly headrests
- Lexus Memory System for front-passenger seat
- Three-zone automatic climate control
- Rear-door manual sunshades
- Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)

GS 450h*
Includes all GS 350 with Premium & Luxury Package
equipment plus:
- Drive Mode Select adds Sport S+ mode
- Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with electronically
- controlled shock absorbers
- Heated steering wheel
- High-intensity interior heater
- Headlamp washers and
- Windshield-wiper deicer
- Water-repellent front-door glass
- Dynamic tachometer and Hybrid System Indicator,
based on selected drive mode
- Matte bamboo interior trim
- Rear valence with concealed exhaust outlets

GS 450h WITH LUXURY PACKAGE*
Includes all GS 350 with Premium & Luxury Package and GS 450h
with Premium Package equipment plus:
- Bi-LED headlamps with dynamic auto leveling and the Dual-swivel Adaptive Front Lighting System
- Matte bamboo-trimmed steering wheel

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 05-21-15 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 08:13 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Hi all,

So I'm just your average, everyday hard working young guy that finally saved himself enough money to purchase the car of his dreams - a slightly used (6K miles) 2013 Lexus GS450h that's practically fully loaded. The hybrid version is quite rare and there weren't any 2013+ models for sale in Texas (especially with the options that I wanted), so I had to get this baby shipped from California.
Congrats!

How much did it cost to ship from California to Texas?

Did you buy it without test driving? If so, did you just take the risk and go for it?

Did you buy it from a Toyota dealership?
Old 05-22-15, 10:32 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by grayson73
Congrats!

How much did it cost to ship from California to Texas?

Did you buy it without test driving? If so, did you just take the risk and go for it?

Did you buy it from a Toyota dealership?
Thanks - I can't remember the exact cost, but shipping was less than $600.

Bought it used from someone that owned it for about 3/4 of a year. It was female owned/driven with only put 6K miles on it and garage kept the entire time. Owner was very easy to work with - sent me dozens of pictures, a 360 degree video while also covering the interior, engine when starting, showed the car at idle, etc. With the car being so new, I didn't have much hesitation.. BUT despite that (since it was a large purchase), I had my uncle who lives in the area visually inspect everything & test drive it.

The process wasn't quick as I wanted to make sure to watch my back. Very thankful everything worked out though.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-03-15, 09:06 PM
Goowakj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this thread back. Congrats man. I bought mine a month after you did. It's a silver one with the luxury package as well. Any new mods to it?

Quick Reply: My "new" GS450h - purchased by an average guy