Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Not a good week for my GS

Old 12-22-14, 11:53 AM   #1
bnlexus
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Not a good week for my GS

1. Took the GS to a local tire store for a new set of tires. I brought it in at a different location near my house before. They've done good jobs on both our cars. This time, for my convenience, I brought it to a different location near my work place. Not smart Got home, cleaned up the tires to put on some dressing and found out they put scratches on all four wheels. They are minimal on three but one of them had a deep scratch that scraped off all the paint between the edge of the wheel and the tire. That scratch caries out to the outside of the wheel. Took it back to the store to have them look at it. "I don't know how our equipment would cause this but it was my fault that I did not check the car before the work so I have no choice but to believe you. I will send it out to re-paint it for you. It's not that noticeable, so if you want, I will give you $70 cash and we call it done. It would cost us $150 to fix it." I asked him if it wasn't caused by the shop, what could cause this? He said a rock. Really? I wasn't quite pleased with the way he handled situation but since he agrees to fix it, I didn't want to make a big deal of it. My question is, is it something that can be repainted easily or it needs a good shop to do it right? I don't want to have to spend more time to follow up/through with this. The car is a lease but I want it fixed right and don't want to be charged for it when I turn it in.

2. My trunk decided not to close this morning. I pushed, slammed, but it won't close. I think the latch is broken causing the trunk lead not able to go all the way down. It only has 33K on the clock We all know about hard close problem on our 13. I never had mine worked on since it became OK after awhile. My question is is it something covered by the warranty? I'll have to take it in for them to evaluate. But if it's not covered, I'd rather save my time and take it to a local store to have it swapped out.

Thanks guys. Hope your GS is doing well
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
bnlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 12:05 PM   #2
bclexus
Pole Position

I think there is a trunk related TSB, which your car may not have had done. I'm guessing the tire dealer had to get into your trunk to get the McGard wheel lock key. Did they do something to cause a problem with the trunk not closing?

With any type of coveted wheels it is extremely important that the service manager knows that you expect absolutely no damage to your wheels, and that there is an understanding that they have the proper equipment and the tire changer has the know-how to do it correctly without damage.
bclexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 12:32 PM   #3
Atomic350F
Rookie

Dang, sorry to hear brother..

I think if the scratches are minimal you wont get "dinged" for them at the lease return.. bad pun, sorry! I want to say you need an ugly gouge (missing chunk) in the wheel over an inch before they actually charge you, and slight scratches would be regular wear and tear. Still giving you $70 bucks a $150 repair doesn't sound too fair either! If you're as picky as me, I wouldn't be happy cruising with scratches.. especially if I didn't cause them.

As an after the fact note, I always specify to have the tires removed and mounted from the inside to avoid cosmetic damage, and also tell them to only use adhesive weights to balance tires, them weights on the outer rims are ugly and also cause damage.

I am with the last poster too, perhaps they messed up your trunk latch as well. Hope these guys take care of you and your GS..
Atomic350F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 12:44 PM   #4
MEAHT
Driver

Same thing happened to me, although it was an IS250. Get them to repair it, it will look like new and no one will ever know what happened.

Manager called me "picky" when I complained. Was this close to crushing his face with my fist.
MEAHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 12:45 PM   #5
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

fsaptadi

Same thing happened to my Camry, all 4 wheels got scratched and this was at America's tires. It's either their mounting equipment are worn out or they put my wheels facedown. I didn't ask for any reimbursement but I wrote a nasty letter to the manager. Manager apologized and asked me to bring it back but I didn't bother cause I was able to polished it out. This is not something u can do with the FSport wheels cause the whole paint will strip if u polish it. Fast forward a few months, I went back there again for my new set of tires on a new set of wheels and never had that problem again. I guess they take customers complaints very seriously.

Another shop dropped my wheel on its face while I was standing in front of my car and messed it up good. Manager told me they'll refinish it and put me in a rental car, I told him don't bother, I'll just order a new wheel and u can reimburse it, it'll save u guys tons of $$$ cause the wheel is only $260. Gave them the receipt and they reimbursed me the next day.

2014 GS 350 F SPORT RWD 2GR-FSE
Liquid Platinum | Cabernet | Mark Levinson
ItzFilyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 01:07 PM   #6
jjscsix
Lead Lap

I have gotten into the habit of walking the car with the service writer. I even point out and knicks already in the wheel and tell them it works both ways. I won't blame him for damage that was already there so it's in both of our best interest to do a walk around before leaving the car.
and some motorcycles
jjscsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 01:38 PM   #7
bclexus
Pole Position

I don't know about you guys, but I carry a spare McGard wheel lock key for my wheels that I keep in the center console. I purchased a spare for two reasons - (1) my trunk is full with my golf bag full of golf clubs and golf *****, shoes, umbrellas, caps, etc. that I don't want anyone in the service department messing with or having them remove it to get to the Lexus supplied wheel lock key and then try to put everything back the way I had things, and (2) if the Lexus supplied McGard wheel lock key ever breaks or is damaged - I have a spare. I also have a spare lug too - just in case.
Old 12-22-14, 01:42 PM   #8
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclexus View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I carry a spare McGard wheel lock key for my wheels that I keep in the center console. I purchased a spare for two reasons - (1) my trunk is full with my golf bag full of golf clubs and golf *****, shoes, umbrellas, caps, etc. that I don't want anyone in the service department messing with or having them remove it to get to the Lexus supplied wheel lock key and then try to put everything back the way I had things, and (2) if the Lexus supplied McGard wheel lock key ever breaks or is damaged - I have a spare. I also have a spare lug too - just in case.

From what I've heard is Lexus dealers have master wheel lock keys.Too many issues with customers and the wheel locks.I'm surprised Discount Tire and others don't have master lock keys.
Good idea on the spare key.

'13 GS 350 AWD Starfire Pearl/Black
Luxury&Cold Pkg,BSM,LED Fogs,Puddles,Door Panels,Trunk,Reverse
'15 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/Tech AWD White Pearl/Black/LED'd
'08 Hyundai Elantra Low Miles Beater!

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-22-14 at 01:45 PM..
Joeb427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 01:46 PM   #9
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

fsaptadi

I just switch my wheel locks to regular lug nuts before doing any wheel work.

2014 GS 350 F SPORT RWD 2GR-FSE
Liquid Platinum | Cabernet | Mark Levinson
ItzFilyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 01:46 PM   #10
bclexus
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
From what I've heard is Lexus dealers have master wheel lock keys.Too many issues with customers and the wheel locks.
That's good to know. I was not aware that there was a Master key, or maybe a limited number of keys. I really don't see how that could be because each wheel lock has a unique design...

I did not get a spare key from McGard just for when I go to my Lexus dealer, but for when I get new tires (e.g. Discount Tire), etc. too.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-22-14 at 01:49 PM..
Old 12-22-14, 01:50 PM   #11
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
That's good to know. I was not aware that there was a Master key, or maybe a limited number of keys. I really don't see how that could be...

I did not get a spare key from McGard just for when I go to my Lexus dealer, but for when I get new tires (e.g. Discount Tire), etc. too.

When I had my tires rotated,I told the service adviser I put the lock key in the cup holder.He said no problem because they usually use a master set of wheel lock keys because a few customers lose or forget to bring the wheel lock key.
I don't know if every dealer has the same wheel lock policy.

Old 12-22-14, 02:14 PM   #12
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

That sucks. I always dread getting new tires for this reason, shops are so hard on the wheels. It always astonishes me how someone can say "you're picky" because you're not okay with your wheels on your car being damaged. "I mean, you expected us to be so careful we don't damage the wheels?". How can anybody even formulate that sentence without realizing how ridiculous they sound?

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 02:16 PM   #13
bclexus
Pole Position

Dealerships

McGard's computerized dealer registration program provides easy access to information and prompt service for your customer's car. Our Master Key Set program allows dealerships to service a vehicle when the customer's key is not available. Each dealership is provided with a dealer service folder for quick and easy ordering of replacement parts. We also offer e-mail, toll-free phone numbers and fax lines for convenient access to our full-service support staff.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-22-14 at 02:47 PM..
Old 12-22-14, 02:17 PM   #14
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Dealerships

McGard's computerized dealer registration program provides easy access to information and prompt service for your customer's car. Our Master Key Set program allows dealerships to service a vehicle when the customer's key is not available. Each dealership is provided with a dealer service folder for quick and easy ordering of replacement parts. We also offer e-mail, toll-free phone numbers and fax lines for convenient access to our full-service support staff.

Probably all brands of dealer service has that option.It makes perfect sense.

Old 12-22-14, 02:26 PM   #15
bclexus
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW13GS View Post
That sucks. I always dread getting new tires for this reason, shops are so hard on the wheels. It always astonishes me how someone can say "you're picky" because you're not okay with your wheels on your car being damaged. "I mean, you expected us to be so careful we don't damage the wheels?". How can anybody even formulate that sentence without realizing how ridiculous they sound?
That is one reason why I deal with a Discount Tires store location that is just a few miles from me. This particular Discount Tire store location changes tires for people that own Lambos, McLarens, Bentleys, Rolls-Royces, Maseratis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. (all these dealerships are nearby me). The owners of these cars, many valued at $250k and up, are very picky about their cars and won't let just anyone touch their cars.
Old 12-22-14, 02:26 PM