bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

What is the purpose of this thread?
Old 12-21-14, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

The bottom line is, it IS a used car. Someone drove it for 6,000km, and drove it as a loaner car for those miles, its not ever going to be a perfect, new car. You have to set your expectations properly. It being "new" and never titled helps you with it only being one owner, having access to new car financing, and the warranty start date when you take delivery and mileage, but from the perspective of the car itself...whether it was a 6,000 km "demo" or a 6,000km "used" car...its the same thing. A demo being "new" is a technicality. You must realize the distinction.

Expecting them to recondition the car, repair every scratch, chip, repaint, whatever is unreasonable given that this is not a fresh, new, 3mile on the odometer car. You may think that was what you were getting, but your expectation was not set properly...why do you think you were offered a discount off of what that factory fresh 3 mile example would have cost you?

Given the way you've carried on about this here, I bet the issue with this sales manager was not one sided.
Old 12-21-14, 07:42 PM
gotink
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same ****ty buying experience in. B.C ...same thing we have 2 dealers they play the same games ...was told I was treated bad because I wasn't Chinese and there use to people that would just hand over a check...So because I was buying a demo I need to be treated like ****....looks like it might be a canadain, thing when you don't have a choice,you have to put up with it...Worst buying experience of my life
Old 12-21-14, 07:44 PM
lexusfreez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a new car invoice with fresh warranty start date. The Sales Manager says that is not the case. He said that the warranty date would begin when the vehicle first came into service.
I could be the worst customer in the whole world, but they just repudiated their own written word on the invoice. That's the problem. They lied.
Some people can live easily with blatant lying. I can't, especially when coming from higher ups at a reputed brand's dealerships.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Given the way you've carried on about this here, I bet the issue with this sales manager was not one sided.
Please pardon my ignorance, but how have I 'carried out' here? I've not even mentioned the name of the dealership here or the person involved. I've talked in abstractions to the extent possible.

It's indeed a case of misplaced expectations. Always is. To expect less is the path toward nirvana. To expect more is the path toward misery. And buying a Lexus increases your expectations. That's misplaced, at least for me. I could be one of out of a million people who experience this, but that's what it is. And that's all I'm stating here.
Old 12-21-14, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Some things I've heard on here do lead me to believe there are more issues with customer service in Canada than in the US...

I've a new car invoice with fresh warranty start date. The Sales Manager says that is not the case. He said that the warranty date would begin when the vehicle first came into service.
I could be the worst customer in the whole world, but they just repudiated their own written word on the invoice. That's the problem. They lied.
Some people can live easily with blatant lying. I can't, especially when coming from higher ups at a reputed brand's dealerships.
He's wrong and right. Assuming things work the same way in Canada as they do here, the warranty start date is the vehicle inservice date. BUT, the vehicle is not "in service" when its a demo, so that start date is when you take delivery. Same with the mileage. Thats the point of buying a demo vs a used or CPO car.

He could just be an idiot, or you may have misunderstood what he was telling you because you were so angry. He may have told you the warranty starts on the in service date which it does...that date is just today. Regardless, what he says is meaningless, this policy is set by Lexus. Its not up to him. So he lied and told you the situation wasn't as good as it actually is? Why would he do that? What sense would that make?

Perhaps the guy was just uninformed and he thought it was used and not a demo...

Please pardon my ignorance, but how have I 'carried out' here?
To me the issue is your assertion that is is a "new" car not a "used" car when it has 6,000km on it and clearly is not a "new" car. That leads me to believe that your demands of the dealership (that it be totally scratch and chip free, etc) aren't reasonable. If you don't realize the practical and logical implications of a car with 6,000km not being "new"...somethings not clicking here.

It just doesn't make sense to me when you've already made arrangements with the delivery person to address your concerns and you'll come back and take delivery of the car why the sales manager would step in as you're walking out the door and light you up and blow up the sale. Something more happened between you and this delivery person than we're hearing about. Were you kind, calm, and professional or did you rant and rave and cause a scene?

I'm in sales, and I manage salespeople. If one of my salespeople is having an issue with a customer of theirs, and they have discussed it with the customer and reached a plan for resolution of the issue...I would never step in and blow up their sale. I would only do that if the customer was rude or unreasonable and my salesperson was upset and asked me to speak to them. I don't sit by and let customers abuse my people, but I let them handle it their own way until it becomes obvious they're over their head. Something doesn't compute here.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-21-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 07:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'll ask again - What is the purpose of this thread?
Old 12-21-14, 08:05 PM
lexusfreez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'll ask again - What is the purpose of this thread?
What is the purpose of any thread here on this forum? Heck, what's the purpose of this forum?
What's the purpose of your question?

I think it's to get some more information, learn about someone else's car buying/owning/driving experience. To know about what's going on out there as it relates to the Lexus world, specifically related to the car you drive (GS) or plan to drive. Or the brand that made you buy the car.

But I know little and am constantly eager to learn.

Perhaps, this thread is pointless. After all, there's nothing new about car dealers lying and car sales managers reneging on their promises!

It's probably as old as the auto industry itself! That's the real state of enlightenment and I think once I'm done responding to some more posts here, I'll be much closer to that state and stop wasting everyone's time.
Old 12-21-14, 08:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I dare say - if that dealership treated everyone like what is being described they would be out-of-business...but, before that would ever happen Lexus would pull their credentials long before that happened to save the brand reputation.

Something is amiss with this story. For one thing we are hearing only one side of a very strange story. Therefore the story is really meaningless...yet the author seems to have an agenda or purpose that has a sinister feeling about it.
Old 12-21-14, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What promises exactly did they reneg on?
Old 12-21-14, 08:18 PM
lexusfreez
Driver School Candidate

Warranty for one. I thought I had full 'new car' warranty, as shown on the invoice. And that was reneged when the Sales manager said that 'it's a good thing we found this out now, otherwise 3 years later you'd have complained'.
So who is lying? The delivery coordinator that printed me the warranty papers? Or the sales manager?

If you guys find my story so 'sinister' because you are under the 'halo' of Lexus brand, imagine my frustration at being treated like that!

And the expectation of a clean car. Forget the rock chips. Just a $20 dollar nice car wash that would make the car free from dirt. Of course, my expectations were high, that I'd get a clean car. That there won't be any dirt on the door gaskets. That there won't be lots of scratches.

But expecting a clean car is indeed 'sinister'. I've a hidden agenda. I work for Hyundai. There, I said it all. Ooops. </sarcasm>
Old 12-21-14, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He's not lying, he may just be confused. He does not have the authority to set the terms of the warranty, if it truly is an untitled demo, than the warranty begins when you title the car, the in service date is today. He can't be lying if its not something that he can give or take away.

As for the car being cleaned, it should have been cleaned and detailed. But, thats something that they can do for you while you wait to take delivery, its not a big deal. As for scratches, what kind of scratches are we talking about? Again...the car is not new.

Dealer's detail departments are NOTORIOUSLY bad. You'd be better off having the car detailed by a professional on your own.

I don't think you're being sinister, but I do think you're overreacting yes. And I do question how you reacted in person when the car was not as clean as you wanted it to be...I asked this question which you haven't answered:

Were you kind, calm, and professional or did you rant and rave and cause a scene?
I have a hard time believing that if you were calm and courteous and simply requested the car be better detailed and cleaned, or even compounded and buffed to remove surface scratches and the delivery person had no issue with taking care of that for you that the sales manager would have intervened the way you said he did.
Old 12-21-14, 08:28 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tough crowd. If the OP felt uncomfortable with the way the deal was progressing, it's his perogative to walk.
Old 12-21-14, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Tough crowd. If the OP felt uncomfortable with the way the deal was progressing, it's his perogative to walk.
Sure it is, but we all have a role to play in good relationships with people we do business with. I'm a believer that realistic and reasonable expectations and a friendly, courteous way of doing business have a huge impact in the quality of service that you get back from whoever you do business with. Thats how I have always conducted myself both professionally and personally and its always worked for me. I have had bad situations happen with dealerships many times, and I have at times walked out and decided not to do business with a specific dealer or person at a dealer...because I know that if they can't treat me the way I treat them the issue is clearly with them...because while I have high expectations I'm a delightful person to have as a customer.

We're not getting the whole story here. In the end, the person that is hurt is him. They'll sell that car to somebody, he's the one without his new car that he wanted tonight.
Old 12-21-14, 08:43 PM
lexusfreez
Driver School Candidate

I have a theory- the sales manager acted the way he did was that he was 'losing' money on this deal. He did not want me to buy the car. I've posted this before on this forum about the 'deal' I was getting. Apparently, the price they gave me was 'too low' for their liking and they did not want me to buy this car.
I wasn't angry until he blurted out the warranty terms and started telling a series of lies that really made me walk out. Perhaps, that's what he wanted all along. That I should not to take the delivery of the vehicle and walk out.
This is what I can surmise now. Not at that time. At that time, I was just taking the delivery of the vehicle and the great deal I was getting. That's all.

If these guys were not comfortable selling the vehicle at 'loss', they could have just said that they couldn't do it at a loss and it was a mistake. End of story.

Why change the terms of sale(warranty, shoddy service, no detailing) and spoil the experience?

heck, they could have just said- here's the demo, we are losing money and you can0 take it just the way it is, sitting in the parking lot. I'd have known what I was getting into. Why go through all the hoops and then back out in the most unprofessional manner by concocting lies?
Old 12-21-14, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That just doesn't make any sense. They have a deal on the table to sell the car, they aren't going to back out on it then. "losing money" is a relative thing. He's not losing money, he doesn't own the dealership, he's just the sales manager. He wouldn't have okayed the sale if he wasn't comfortable with the terms. It doesn't cost them anything to detail or wash a car, they have guys on staff to do that.

You're projecting motivations onto him and them...something that is unwise to do in a negotiation.

Again, the dealer CANNOT change the terms of the warranty. The warranty is what it is, Lexus sets the warranty terms for the car, it doesn't have anything to do with the dealer.

Even if that were true, you walked out on a deal that was "so good" they didn't want to sell you the car? So who lost?

You again didn't answer my question:

Were you kind, calm, and professional or did you rant and rave and cause a scene?
Dealers DO make decisions not to do business with certain customers if they don't think they can make them happy. Sometimes they "cut their losses". I'm not convinced this isn't what happened here.

Quick Reply: Lexus just ruined it for me