GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

First time poster...plz help on buying used

Old 12-20-14, 10:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

If your vehicle is still under 'factory' warranty be careful having required maintenance service done by independent service centers or mechanics in lieu of the car maker's dealership service center. The car maker could/might/may use your non-use of their dealership service center (or non-OEM or aftermarket products) as an excuse to not cover related warranty issues. Engine oil/filter changes (engine damage), non OEM brake pads (rotor issues or accident insurance claims), etc., etc.
Old 12-20-14, 11:35 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

^Sounds like a scare tactic from the dealership, IMHO.

Keep in mind, there are many Independent Lexus mechanics who were once mechanics at the Lexus dealership. In many cases, these mechanics were senior/lead mechanics in the dealership but went out on their own. So, they use the same OEM parts, use the same distributors, use the same equipment, do the same repairs but charge a lot less. In my area, there are numerous service mechs like these and consider themselves "the dealership alternatives". Ironically, dealerships will defer work to these Indy mechs when they are overloaded and can't take in any more repairs.

Bottom line, it's your choice. It's your money, your time and your car. I'm just offering alternatives.

If you feel more comfortable at the dealership, like the free donuts/coffee, like the panache/snob appeal and the free loaner....more power to you.

Just be aware, it comes at a premium.

Last edited by islandbeef; 12-20-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-20-14, 11:47 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by robh505
Good info, thanks! My only car is a leased BMW X3, so I've never had to deal with independent mechanics before. I'll have to find a good one in the area.
Be sure to check if your BMW comes with free maintenance/repair work with the lease. Thus, making my point, moot. I'm assuming BMW is now aware that their customers have found work-arounds to keep ownership from being a money pit. Independent Mechs helped keep me sane during my BMW days, then I pulled the plug when BMW repairs/break-downs became too frequent (and I was helping my mechanic pay his kid's college tuitions).

Silver lining here, my Independent Land Rover mechanic was a senior mechanic at the Land Rover dealership. He's so good, he became my Independent BMW mechanic and is now my Independent Lexus mechanic.
Old 12-20-14, 11:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
^Sounds like a scare tactic from the dealership, IMHO.

Keep in mind, there are many Independent Lexus mechanics who were once mechanics at the Lexus dealership. In many cases, these mechanics were senior/lead mechanics in the dealership but went out on their own. So, they use the same OEM parts, use the same distributors, use the same equipment, do the same repairs but charge a lot less. In my area, there are numerous service mechs like these and consider themselves "the dealership alternatives".

Bottom line, it's your choice. It's your money, your time and your car. I'm just offering alternatives.

If you feel more comfortable at the dealership, like the free donuts/coffee, like the panache/snob appeal and the free loaner....more power to you.

Just be aware, it comes at a premium.
No, not a scare tactic at all. I have experienced it twice with Mercedes-Benz and once with BMW. By the way, I'm also familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The car maker could care less if some former certified technician they once employed performed some work on your vehicle. Does that former certified factory-approved technician always retain his 'certified factory-approved' status forever? The answer is simple - no...

You may have maintenance performed on your vehicle by any qualified person or facility. However, Lexus recommends having maintenance performed by an authorized Lexus dealership.

Lexus dealership technicians are specially trained to maintain and repair Lexus vehicles. They stay current on the latest service information through Lexus technical bulletins, service publications and training courses. Many are also certified through the Lexus Commitment to Perfection Certification Program, which requires specialized, state-of-the-art training as well as rigorous exams through both Lexus and the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.

You can be confident you’re getting the best possible service for your vehicle when you take it to a Lexus dealership. Plus, a Lexus dealership will always use Genuine Lexus Parts designed specifically for your vehicle.
One area where non-factory approved mechanics will save you some money is in the use of non-genuine parts, but on a new[ish] vehicle this can be fraught with danger. If your new vehicle is still under factory warranty and something breaks, and your local non-dealer mechanic replaces the part with a non-genuine part - well, you could be left in limbo with the manufacturer as to who should foot the bill. Most manufacturers will take the view that if you have gone outside the dealer network and used non-genuine parts, you’re largely on your own. And, in the case of that newly hired kid at the local Jiffy-Lube (or Walmart or Pep Boys, etc.) that you trust to change your engine oil and oil filter in your $50k+ Lexus - was that brake cleaning fluid that kid used to top-off your brake fluid reservoir? Oh boy!

If the manufacturer wants to get out of fixing something under factory warranty they will first check to see if you have had the vehicle serviced at one of the manufacturer's dealerships. If not, they might want absolute proof from you that your independent mechanic used the correct engine oil viscosity, or oil filter, or gasket, or brake pads, or antifreeze, or brake fluid, etc., etc. related to the issue you expect the dealership to repair and/or replace under factory warranty; e.g. brake rotors, water pump, VVT-i assembly, oil control solenoid, etc., etc. The repair may be something rather minimal that can be repaired for under $100, or the repair could be something far greater like a major repair that reaches into 5-figures - like a seized engine. That type of problem would get most anyone's blood flowing! The dealership could take a strong stand and refuse to make repairs under warranty, or they could delay repairing your vehicle as they go up-the-ladder to district or regional levels to make sure the dealership's service center will be reimbursed for the repairs they make to your vehicle...and this can often take many days for confirmation or denial. Oh, don't expect a loaner vehicle! And, often it doesn't stop there. What are you going to do if they disagree with your view and deny repairs under warranty - sue them? That's not going to be a pretty outcome either!

THIS helps make my point. Note the technician's warning that is shown in RED.

Unless you drive well over 15k miles a year chances are you'll only need one major service per year. I'm not sure why anyone would trust ol' Bubba down at XYC Auto Repair to service their $50k+ Lexus to save a bit of money (if there is a Lexus dealership reasonably nearby), and take a chance that it is not being done correctly or something won't appease Lexus if/when something major needs repair. If it costs me an extra $100 once or twice a year to go to Lexus for required maintenance, then I'll gladly do it... I just won't go to Ruth's Chris Steak House or buy drinks for friends at the club once or twice a year if necessary, which is not necessary...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-21-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 04:04 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Like I said, it's your choice. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks.

Last edited by islandbeef; 12-20-14 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 04:14 PM
robh505
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Be sure to check if your BMW comes with free maintenance/repair work with the lease. Thus, making my point, moot. I'm assuming BMW is now aware that their customers have found work-arounds to keep ownership from being a money pit. Independent Mechs helped keep me sane during my BMW days, then I pulled the plug when BMW repairs/break-downs became too frequent (and I was helping my mechanic pay his kid's college tuitions).

Silver lining here, my Independent Land Rover mechanic was a senior mechanic at the Land Rover dealership. He's so good, he became my Independent BMW mechanic and is now my Independent Lexus mechanic.
I'm into the last year of a three year lease. So far, all maintenance work and fluid refills, etc., have all been covered at the dealer.
Old 12-20-14, 07:40 PM
robh505
Driver School Candidate

How about this one? Aside from price (which definitely seems high), car looks clean. Just under 30k miles.

http://www.conicellitoyotaofconshoho...392244bcfb.htm
Old 12-21-14, 12:40 AM
TonyCarson
Rookie

How about this one? Aside from price (which definitely seems high), car looks clean. Just under 30k miles.

Seems nice, looks like mine but mine is rwd. Purchased a few months ago for $44,000

2013 Starfire Pearl F sport with 17,000 miles. RWD though.

I notice that one also doesn't have the Mark Levinson, not sure if that's a factor for you. If they would drop it for around $38,000 maybe?
Old 12-21-14, 04:38 AM
BlueAc215
Driver

I went and looked at this car yesterday. It was very clean in and out. A few things I noticed, the engine had a weird ticking sound at idle. Don't know it this is normal or not because this was the first F Sport I looked at in person. Next, the previous owner removed all the emblems from the rear of the vehicle. Not a deal breaker but just something I noticed. Also on the test drive the car seemed a little sluggish. It didn't seem like it had any take off power. I switched it to Sport S (I think that's the name) mode and she seemed to wake up a little. Overall the car was nice but I wanted UW/Cab combo and was just checking this one out to get a feel. I discussed numbers with the dealer and his manager. To my surprise he didn't budge off his price. He kicked some BS about being at cost on that car and would love to sell it because he's had it for a few months now. I told him that Koons Lexus in Wilmington had a 13 F Sport certified w/ similar mileage and that was going for about 1k less than this uncertified car. He ended up coming $500 off his price and adding $500 to my trade. At this time of year and for the length of time he's had the car. I would've expected a more aggressive attempt to sell the car but it seems they're sticking to their guns on this one. If he would've came down to around 37k he would've made it hard for me to walk out but at his price it was a no brainer. I'm just mad that the one in Wilmington sold so fast, I knew I should've got up earlier lol.
Old 12-21-14, 08:29 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAc215
A few things I noticed, the engine had a weird ticking sound at idle. Don't know it this is normal or not because this was the first F Sport I looked at in person. on the test drive the car seemed a little sluggish. It didn't seem like it had any take off power. I switched it to Sport S (I think that's the name) mode and she seemed to wake up a little.
The ticking sound is annoying but all 4GS' do it. Basically they all sound kinda like junk at idle due to being direct injection lol regardless of F Sport or not, they all have the same engine and tune unfortunately we get no bump in power. Also the 4GS is known for being "sluggish". It's a high revving engine, so don't expect to peel out or spank anyone light to light. Sport mode (I tend to skip sport s and go straight to Sport +) does sharpen throttle response but does nothing for torque increase, which is what most people want in regards to power.
Old 12-21-14, 08:53 AM
robh505
Driver School Candidate

I went and looked at this car yesterday. It was very clean in and out. A few things I noticed, the engine had a weird ticking sound at idle. Don't know it this is normal or not because this was the first F Sport I looked at in person. Next, the previous owner removed all the emblems from the rear of the vehicle. Not a deal breaker but just something I noticed. Also on the test drive the car seemed a little sluggish. It didn't seem like it had any take off power. I switched it to Sport S (I think that's the name) mode and she seemed to wake up a little. Overall the car was nice but I wanted UW/Cab combo and was just checking this one out to get a feel. I discussed numbers with the dealer and his manager. To my surprise he didn't budge off his price. He kicked some BS about being at cost on that car and would love to sell it because he's had it for a few months now. I told him that Koons Lexus in Wilmington had a 13 F Sport certified w/ similar mileage and that was going for about 1k less than this uncertified car. He ended up coming $500 off his price and adding $500 to my trade. At this time of year and for the length of time he's had the car. I would've expected a more aggressive attempt to sell the car but it seems they're sticking to their guns on this one. If he would've came down to around 37k he would've made it hard for me to walk out but at his price it was a no brainer. I'm just mad that the one in Wilmington sold so fast, I knew I should've got up earlier lol.
Hmm, the one at Koons is gone?
Old 12-21-14, 09:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyCarson
Seems nice, looks like mine but mine is rwd. Purchased a few months ago for $44,000 2013 Starfire Pearl F sport with 17,000 miles. RWD though. I notice that one also doesn't have the Mark Levinson, not sure if that's a factor for you. If they would drop it for around $38,000 maybe?
Wow are they on crack rocks that is way priced high should have started from 45k then said a savings. It does look clean though. Sadly every dealer is doing this, when I sold my GS they gave me 38k then they put it on there website for 48k and discounted it for 46k only lasted 4 days on there lot amazing. Shows how bad people want F-Sports.
Old 12-21-14, 09:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The ticking noise you hear at idle or low RPMs is the sound from the high-pressure direct fuel injector system operating at almost 2,000 psi. That noise is standard for many brands and models nowadays.

The removal of the emblems (for me anyway) would be a deal destroyer right away. What else was changed/modified by the previous owner? When most people search for a pre-owned car like the Lexus GS 350 they want assurance that the car has been treated and cared for properly. That's not saying this particular GS 350 wasn't properly cared for, but most people do not debadge their car. You would never find a Lexus CPO vehicle at a Lexus dealership missing the emblems. And, anyone buying a CPO Lexus vehicle from a Lexus dealership can be assured that Lexus will stand behind the vehicle, which is definitely not necessarily the case when buying from a non-Lexus dealership or used car lot.
Old 12-21-14, 04:34 PM
TonyCarson
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Wow are they on crack rocks that is way priced high should have started from 45k then said a savings. It does look clean though. Sadly every dealer is doing this, when I sold my GS they gave me 38k then they put it on there website for 48k and discounted it for 46k only lasted 4 days on there lot amazing. Shows how bad people want F-Sports.
"way priced high"?
Old 12-21-14, 06:15 PM
robh505
Driver School Candidate

Related question....I see in another thread that someone just bought a 60.5k MSRP 2015 for $53.5k. Why should I even be considering 25k mile 2013s for $38-39k if I could pay $14k more for a car three years newer with no miles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time poster...plz help on buying used