GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Do dealers eat remaining lease payments?

Old 12-15-14, 03:47 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do dealers eat remaining lease payments?

even though i'm paying $100 less with my 15' f-sport, i should have gotten the car for an additional $60 less than what i'm currently paying. it's water under the bridge now, but just wondering about a few things.

they sold me my '15 f-sport for pretty cheap($57,800 sticker, sold it for $50,xxx) this was right when the 15's hit the lot. white on red combo too which is hard to come by.

i traded in my '13 GS lease 4 months earlier, so they added $2400 to the total price of the new car. It hit me that i'm double paying the first 4 months after the fact unfortunately.

but, hypothetically speaking, when you trade in a lease earlier and there are still payments left, does the dealer usually eat that cost? does lexus financial eat this cost? can you even trade from one lease to another without having to cover the remaining lease payments?

thanks
Old 12-15-14, 03:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus usually has a early lease termination of 3-4 months program if you buy or lease another Lexus.Many auto manufacturers do.
Unfortunately,your dealer may have ripped you off.
Old 12-15-14, 03:55 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Lexus usually has a early lease termination of 3-4 months program if you buy or lease another Lexus.Many auto manufacturers do.
Unfortunately,your dealer may have ripped you off.
yup, i don't disagree.

but just wondering for future leases.
Old 12-15-14, 04:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
yup, i don't disagree.

but just wondering for future leases.
Live and learn.
We've all been there.
Old 12-15-14, 04:41 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Those who are not in the know will be taken advantage of by STEALERSHIP. The dealer is there to make profit. And they will use your inexperience to their advantage. But at least the gave you a good price for that car.

The first car i ever bought when i was 19 years was a brand new 2001 Honda Accord. I got a got deal on it but because i was inexperienced i was ripped off too. After siging paperwork, i drove home and took a real good look at the paperwork and found some dealer addons like floor mats and pinstripe and paint protection film. When i search the car NON of those dealer installed items were installed on my car. Well you live and learn. My bad.
Old 12-15-14, 04:53 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

i traded in my '13 GS lease 4 months earlier, so they added $2400 to the total price of the new car. It hit me that i'm double paying the first 4 months after the fact unfortunately.
How did they get away with something like this? If yours was a trade in, you should be off the lease.
Old 12-15-14, 04:54 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

While I don't know this for a fact, I would bet that even when the financial arm says they are offering an early termination that the dealer participates (as they do in many incentives). As long as they know going in that they are sharing the incentive they can build it into the deal they make the buyer.
Old 12-15-14, 05:04 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

BMW is the only company that I know of who would eat the remain 4-6 months when you lease a new one. I've never heard of Lexus doing this. But yeah I would not deal with that car salesman again. He should be been more clear to you.
Old 12-15-14, 05:13 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That money always goes somewhere... sometimes in the next vehicle's financing. I'd go over the sales contract very slowly again.
Old 12-15-14, 05:14 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnlexus
How did they get away with something like this? If yours was a trade in, you should be off the lease.
i mean the 2400 that was added to my car price is 4 months of my old payment, so i'm paying that plus my current cars payment.
Old 12-15-14, 05:17 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mso4
BMW is the only company that I know of who would eat the remain 4-6 months when you lease a new one. I've never heard of Lexus doing this. But yeah I would not deal with that car salesman again. He should be been more clear to you.
that's the thing, i was dealing directly with the sales manager and he was punching the numbers right in front of my eyes and had the monitor right in front of me, i knew what they did, but after the fact i realized that i was technically going to pay 2400 in payments for a car that i no longer had.

lesson learned, i should have just fulfilled the entire lease, but that white on red interior got me to make an impulse decision sadly.
Old 12-15-14, 05:18 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

fortunately though, i don't mind the price i'm paying for this car, even after being ripped off. guess that's the silver lining lol
Old 12-15-14, 05:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

i mean the 2400 that was added to my car price is 4 months of my old payment, so i'm paying that plus my current cars payment.
Someone must pay for the remaining payments - there are two options for this to happen.

(1) The dealer sells your lease trade-in with 4 months of payments still remaining to someone and have the new buyer/lessee of the returned vehicle pay those 4 remaining payments either up-front or spread them out in the financing. (That is very doubtful to happen. *)
(2) You (the lessee) pays the remaining 4 months on his/her contract obligation (even though the lessee gives up the vehicle early), and the dealer adds those remaining payments to your new lease contract and spreads them out over the life of the new lease. (This is what should happen.)

* Note: There is no guarantee that the dealer will be able to sell or re-lease the returned leased vehicle that still has 4 months of payment obligation remaining. Someone must make those payments, and you are the one that agreed to do so.
Old 12-15-14, 05:34 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I wouldn't say that dealers really eat remaining payments or anything else but they often do pay them to Lexus Financial which I don't believe eats anything. I am usually 1,000 - 2,500 miles over my lease amount and the dealer simply send LFS a check for the excess miles. And the last time they did this for me they were two miles - 50 cents under and LFS sent me a bill for that amount. Next time I am not going to be over by much more than 1,000 miles so plan on having the dealer pay the new lease end charge - I don't recall the amount but something like $400. Lexus Financial and your dealer don't really have a relationship and the only way things like this can be avoided is to have the dealer buy the car from you prior to lease end at a price high enough to work for you.

Dave Mac
Old 12-15-14, 05:42 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I wouldn't say that dealers really eat remaining payments or anything else but they often do pay them to Lexus Financial which I don't believe eats anything. I am usually 1,000 - 2,500 miles over my lease amount and the dealer simply send LFS a check for the excess miles. And the last time they did this for me they were two miles - 50 cents under and LFS sent me a bill for that amount. Next time I am not going to be over by much more than 1,000 miles so plan on having the dealer pay the new lease end charge - I don't recall the amount but something like $400. Lexus Financial and your dealer don't really have a relationship and the only way things like this can be avoided is to have the dealer buy the car from you prior to lease end at a price high enough to work for you.

Dave Mac
Dave, if the dealer pays Lexus Financial the remaining payments how is that not the dealer eating them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do dealers eat remaining lease payments?