GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus/Toyota

Old 12-12-14, 08:01 PM
CleanStock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went with the Lexus, I was originally researching (for months) the audi a6/audi a7...my wife has a bmw 335i. I wanted the European prestige, but I started looking at long term reliability and maintenance cost and realized if nothing else, the Lexus line was the smarter move long term. It doesn't get the praise it should necessarily, but you see who's laughing in the end and it certainly won't be a euro owner.
Old 12-12-14, 08:20 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
I like having the option of saying I drive a Toyota when asked, depending on who's asking.
Yes, when I like to stay low key like when talking to my boss, I told him (and other clueless people) the GS is just a rebadged Camry really, no big deal it's still a cheap Toyota. I can still get a promotion.
Old 12-13-14, 07:50 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually people always refer to Audi as a rip off VW. BMW guys are notorious for making that claim. Same with Infiniti. It really just happens anywhere that's there's a budget brand and a lux brand under one. I would say that it's worse with Lexus and Audi though.
Old 12-13-14, 09:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

For many years all Lexus cars were badged as Toyotas outside the US.

Even on US Lexus models the internal parts were branded Toyota......

Lexus has made significant steps to move away from Toyota but Toyota is still making all decisions.
Old 12-13-14, 01:04 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Who care what people or haters though?

I would still buy a Lexus if I feel like it and I could afford it even they badge with Toyota. The same for Hyundai/Kia if they give me the best for my money I would buy them.
Old 12-13-14, 01:17 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So you told her that her A8 was a Phaeton
Or her Bentley Continental was a VW Phaeton...
Old 12-13-14, 04:07 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The Bugatti Veyron is a souped up VW Beetle really.
Old 12-13-14, 04:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
The Bugatti Veyron is a souped up VW Beetle really.
Yep - I have a Bugatti converted to a lawn mower. Barely has enough power to cut the grass...
Old 12-13-14, 05:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Hahahaaaaaa!
Old 12-13-14, 05:11 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 12-13-14, 06:18 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow-just looked at the pics of hurricane Sandy damage to your car. My spouse has family on Long Island. They were fortunate and only suffered a power outage for a few days.

One of their friends had fish swimming in their basement-literally.
Old 12-13-14, 06:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So you told her that her A8 was a Phaeton
i don't know what she drove but the sad part is that she was a toyota sales rep... working at a dealership. would love to hear what she tells her customers and or people who come in to buy cars...
Old 12-14-14, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Because it is a Toyota.

Best thing to do with people like that is just agree with them. Its a Toyota, it is. Whether thats a bad thing or not depends on you.

If the acceptance of the press and of other people is a significant motivating factor for you, then you should really buy a BMW or MB. The Lexus is a better car in this class I and a lot of other people think, but its not instant respect like the BMW or MB get when you roll up. The link to Toyota is part of that.

I have a good friend who is a huge BMW fan and chides me all the time about it...we had a conversation the other day about the 5 Series and I told her I drove this car and the 5 Series back to back to back and this is just a better car...in every way other than "being a BMW". She hasn't driven it, and for some reason never takes me up on invitations to drive it

Could have gotten a BMW easily...if anything I'm paying MORE for the Lexus because BMW's leases are so good and maintenance is included.
Old 12-15-14, 04:18 AM
pacmanmmgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Because it is a Toyota.

Best thing to do with people like that is just agree with them. Its a Toyota, it is. Whether thats a bad thing or not depends on you.

If the acceptance of the press and of other people is a significant motivating factor for you, then you should really buy a BMW or MB. The Lexus is a better car in this class I and a lot of other people think, but its not instant respect like the BMW or MB get when you roll up. The link to Toyota is part of that.

I have a good friend who is a huge BMW fan and chides me all the time about it...we had a conversation the other day about the 5 Series and I told her I drove this car and the 5 Series back to back to back and this is just a better car...in every way other than "being a BMW". She hasn't driven it, and for some reason never takes me up on invitations to drive it

Could have gotten a BMW easily...if anything I'm paying MORE for the Lexus because BMW's leases are so good and maintenance is included.
It's a division of Toyota. That's the way I see it.
Before my last 3GS and my 4GS, I owned a 3 series and a C class. Both received instant respect from the nameplate alone but they paled in comparison to both my GS's. BMW was all sport and not much luxury and the C was all luxury and no sport. Trips to service departments were also too frequent. The GS is a perfect mix of the luxury and sport that I was looking for in the other to brands. There was a reason that I went from BMW to Mercedes, then to Lexus and stayed . Much smarter purchase in my opinion but the other two brands received more respect and I'm just trying to understand why.
I personally feel that BMW and Mercedes owners buy partly for prestige with a little show off factor and Lexus owners buy b/c they are getting a more rounded product for their money. Translation = A smarter buy. That's my take anyway.
Old 12-15-14, 06:22 AM
NoDak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Lexus is the Luxury division of Toyota... no biggie. i drive an LS... lady told me i was driving a well dressed Avalon. SMH, she has no clue.
well if you want to stretch things out that far, the original LS was loosely based off the Cressida and the Avalon was the replacement for the Cressida.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus/Toyota