GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus/Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 12:26 PM
pacmanmmgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus/Toyota

Why is it that lexus is always referred to as a Toyota? Haters, journalists, etc. They all do it. No one every refers to Audi as Volkswagen, Cadillac as General Motors, Acura as Honda, Infiniti as Nissan. I just don't get it. Lexus is totally separate from Toyota but it's guilty by association . Please help me understand?
Old 12-12-14, 12:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The way I look at it is...

U add luxury to Toyota's legendary reliability and u get an ultimate and unbeatable car!

Most of the haters can't even afford one anyway or never ever been in one. They see me rollin' they hatin'!
Old 12-12-14, 12:52 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Haterade makes people do strange things. That, and years ago, they literally rebadged high end Toyotas rather than creating new models only wearing this badge. Toyota Crown, etc.

Infiniti will catch flak for this occasionally too, but it's mainly just german car snobs doing this, media included. They just can't get over the legitimacy of high end Japanese cars that look good, last a long time, don't explode in a pool of transmission fluid and failing cylinders, and hold their value over time.

I'm wondering if cars roll off the line side by side with Audi and VW like Lexus do at Toyota. I do know that some "premiere" plants that Nissan considers elite, can produce the GTR alongside other cars. Not all of their factories can or will build Godzilla.
Old 12-12-14, 12:58 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is just where you're looking - I see lots of people calling Acuras "glorified" Hondas and same with Infiniti/Nissan.

Like you said Lexus is run separately from Toyota - that has been the case for some time, although ultimately Lexus will always be a child company of Toyota - they are probably as separated as much as they can be. Lexus is also a global company - you won't find any new rebadged Lexus being sold as a Toyota (as far as I know) like you will with Acuras that are rebadged as Hondas (or vice versa). This used to be a practice with Toyota/Lexus but no longer since Lexus went global.

And truthfully until just recently, Acura was run by Honda of America - and most decisions made by Honda of America were with Honda's best interest in mind. You would also find Honda logos all over parts of older Acura cars (glass, seatbelts, etc). Recent Acuras don't have this.

Anyway - you will find the comparison made with all car companies where the luxury car line is owned by a parent company - I don't think Toyota / Lexus gets the comparison more often personally. From what I've seen - the stigma is more on Honda/Acura than Toyota/Lexus - but if you look you'll find people saying it all the time.

I don't think I've seen a journalist comparing the platform independent Lexus models (GS, LS, etc) to a Toyota - perhaps an Avalon/ES comparison since they are related. The fact that Lexus has platform independent models (with RWD, V8s, etc) that you cannot buy from Toyota is what in my opinion makes the Lexus is just a Toyota argument invalid. Same with Infiniti.

Honda/Acura platform shares almost all of their models (save for maybe the upcoming NSX and the MDX - but only until the new Pilot and Odyssey come out), lacks both RWD and V8 offerings.
Old 12-12-14, 01:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Whenever I order parts for my GS the packaging says Toyota Motors Corp. on it.
Old 12-12-14, 01:52 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pacmanmmgs
Why is it that lexus is always referred to as a Toyota? Haters, journalists, etc. They all do it. No one every refers to Audi as Volkswagen, Cadillac as General Motors, Acura as Honda, Infiniti as Nissan. I just don't get it. Lexus is totally separate from Toyota but it's guilty by association . Please help me understand?
Why do you take it as offensive? Your motor, your windows, your parts, everything has Toyota on it.

General Motors doesn't really make cars though, and Infinity/Acura are uniquely North American, I believe. Maybe it's marketing? I always see Scion/Lexus/Toyota sharing lots and dealerships.
Old 12-12-14, 02:19 PM
pacmanmmgs
Driver School Candidate

I take it offensively because I believe that Lexus makes quality LUXURY cars that should be considered as such. Toyota, in my opinion make quality cars also, but I don't consider it a luxury maker. Its like the little brother that grew up bigger, stronger , and faster than big brother but everyone still says that u remind me of your brother. I feel that people that say lexus is a Toyota with leather is meant to be offensive. If I wanted a Toyota I'd buy a Toyota and be proud of owning it and I wouldn't want it to be called a poor man's Lexus either.
Seems like I hear the association everywhere I look.
Old 12-12-14, 02:25 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus never share dealers with Toyota or Scion, only Toyota and Scion share the same dealers.
Old 12-12-14, 03:02 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Um...

Old 12-12-14, 03:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Well at least they're not in the same building. haha
Old 12-12-14, 03:08 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Picky, picky.
Old 12-12-14, 04:07 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

I like having the option of saying I drive a Toyota when asked, depending on who's asking.
Old 12-12-14, 04:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus is the Luxury division of Toyota... no biggie. i drive an LS... lady told me i was driving a well dressed Avalon. SMH, she has no clue.
Old 12-12-14, 04:49 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

The usual owners that pick at this are BMW and Mercedes owner cause the race is getting tight but they can never say a Lexus drives better than a 5 Series. Lexus or Toyota can never get credit when credit is due, even when they make a super car that turns heads.
Old 12-12-14, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Lexus is the Luxury division of Toyota... no biggie. i drive an LS... lady told me i was driving a well dressed Avalon. SMH, she has no clue.
So you told her that her A8 was a Phaeton

Quick Reply: Lexus/Toyota