GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Start up messages obscuring top ~20% of backup camera screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 11:21 AM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start up messages obscuring top ~20% of backup camera screen

Does anyone else find that the start up messages take way too long to clear, during which time they obscure the top section of the backup camera? I first get "phone connection successful..." followed by "transfer complete". Between the two messages, the top 15-20% of the backup camera screen is obscured. And it's really that top sliver of the screen that allows you to see more than 4 feet behind the car. I suppose I should just be more patient, but 10 seconds (I've timed it) is an eternity to wait after starting the car before you can start backing out. So I just back out as if I don't have a camera using my mirrors and looking over my shoulder (which I did for my previous 30 years of driving before getting my GS so I guess it's not THAT big of a deal).

I just find it really annoying to put a backup camera in the car and then obscure it with messages. It's interesting that Lexus feels it's important to tell me that my phone has been connected for a full 10 seconds. It would be more interesting to know if I was about to back up into something.
Old 12-06-14, 11:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Turn your Phonebook Update Transfer Off and see how much quicker the message(s) clear for a full backup camera view. Whenever I edit or add a new phone contact in my phone that I want transferred to my car's phonebook I just manually Transfer/Update Contacts instead of having it done automatically by the NAV system each and every time I start the engine. It only takes a few seconds to do in 'Manage Contacts'. (See page 179 & 180 in link below to Transfer/Update your phone's contacts to your car's phonebook.)

I elected to turn Off 'Automatically Download Contacts' (and also turn Off 'Automatically Download Call History') so I can delete my call history easily on the NAV phone screen. When the 'Automatically Download Contacts' is turned On the 'Call History' Delete Button is greyed-out and you cannot delete any phone call history, and I like to keep things tidy and cleaned-up without having the history of hundreds phone calls...

HERE (See pages 179, 180 & 181 to turn Off Automatically Download Contacts & Automatically Download Call History) and See page 189 & 190 to Delete Call History or Click HERE

Last edited by bclexus; 12-06-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

You can actually turn these alerts off without turning the actual phonebook transfer and all off.
Old 12-06-14, 12:56 PM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SW13GS and bclexus. I'll look into changing the transfer settings
Old 12-06-14, 01:02 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

On another topic.. does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the updates when you're changing the zoom on maps? The ones that say something like Traffic Data cannot be displayed and Destination point can't be displayed, something like that?
Old 12-06-14, 01:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
On another topic.. does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the updates when you're changing the zoom on maps? The ones that say something like Traffic Data cannot be displayed and Destination point can't be displayed, something like that?
Are you talking about the message that displays when you zoom out on the map to like 1/2 mile or 1 mile, or beyond? If so, I'm told that message cannot be turned Off.
Old 12-06-14, 04:13 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Terrible UI design if you asked me. It's like Lexus UI design is stuck in the 90s.
Old 12-06-14, 06:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

That doesn't happen with my 2014.

Whenever the backup cam is on, the screen clears up, even when u change music tracks, adjust volumes, the top bar doesn't come on until u shift out of R. The start up screen cuts off immediately when u shift to R even after u start ur engine, no waiting 10 secs.

It always displays the backup cam at full screen for as long as u stay in R, unless u manually override it by pressing the map, radio, or music button.
Old 12-06-14, 06:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You know - as soon as I put my car in reverse I think my screen clears of any messaging too. But, I cannot be sure because when I first get in the car and crank-up it takes a few seconds for the car seat to adjust to my memory position, and then another couple of seconds for me to put on my seat belt (and my Bell Carbon Fiber Racing Helmet )...and then a few more seconds for me to catch my breath from looking at all the grand beauty surrounding me inside the car. By the time I put it in reverse (I think) my backup camera's screen view is without any messaging... Of course I have to lift the Optical grade injected Double Screen Anti Fog Tinted Visor on my carbon fiber racing helmet to see anything as I back out of my garage!

PS - I like ride around with my driver's side window down waving a checkered flag too.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-07-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 07:11 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Are you talking about the message that displays when you zoom out on the map to like 1/2 mile or 1 mile, or beyond? If so, I'm told that message cannot be turned Off.
Yeah, that's the one. I find it annoying, but oh well. There's no perfect car, eh?
Old 12-07-14, 08:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That doesn't happen with my 2014.

Whenever the backup cam is on, the screen clears up, even when u change music tracks, adjust volumes, the top bar doesn't come on until u shift out of R. The start up screen cuts off immediately when u shift to R even after u start ur engine, no waiting 10 secs.

It always displays the backup cam at full screen for as long as u stay in R, unless u manually override it by pressing the map, radio, or music button.
I tested mine this morning. As soon as I cranked-up the Lexus logo appeared on the screen, and then I immediately put the car in reverse and the backup camera view appeared without any messaging at the top of the screen.
Old 12-07-14, 02:15 PM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bocahoo
Does anyone else find that the start up messages take way too long to clear, during which time they obscure the top section of the backup camera? I first get "phone connection successful..."

I just find it really annoying to put a backup camera in the car and then obscure it with messages. It's interesting that Lexus feels it's important to tell me that my phone has been connected for a full 10 seconds. It would be more interesting to know if I was about to back up into something.
Great topic. I hate it too. "phone connection successful" is not possible to switch it off. Maybe is, by not connecting phone

Looks 2015 guys don't have this type of problems When I firstly shifted R in 4gen GS I was surprised why this stupid messages are still here... In 3gen it was the same.
Old 12-07-14, 02:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I think they fixed that on the 2014+ models.
Old 12-08-14, 04:34 AM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think they fixed that on the 2014+ models.
If true, you'd think that could be easily fixed on the 2013s with a software update.
Old 12-08-14, 05:37 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Yet another reason why you should never buy a first year model of a new generation of cars. Basically those who bought the 2013 GS are Lexus Guinea pigs and are left to die after experiments are complete. I have a 2014 GS350 Luxury and i too DO NOT have this problem. As soon as i start my car i can put it into reverse without waiting for the nav screen to even boot up i can see the backup camera immediatly WITHOUT any notifications blocking my view.

Even though I got the 2014 i still wished i had waited and gotten a 2015 model. 2015 models get HD Radio Traffic for free, birds eye view navigation with 3d buildings and predictive back up camera with guidence lines that move. These three updates alone makes me want to trade in my car. So i can imagine how bad it must be for 2013 GS owners.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-08-14 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Start up messages obscuring top ~20% of backup camera screen