GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bluetooth issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-14, 01:58 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bluetooth issues

Hey guys not sure what is going on but maybe someone can chime in and help me out.

I have a 2014 GS, and before this had a 2013 GS (same car different color interior and exterior ). I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and had that phone and previous galaxy models with my 2013 and never experienced this issue.

Basically my phone connects and disconnects from my car constantly. It happens a lot and i can see it happening, as a reminder thing comes on at the top of the screen every time my phone connects or disconnects from my car.

Looked through settings on my phone and car and can't figure it out. I also deleted the device and repaired it but still is doing the same.

Thanks in advance,
Jesse
Old 12-05-14, 02:22 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Hey guys not sure what is going on but maybe someone can chime in and help me out.

I have a 2014 GS, and before this had a 2013 GS (same car different color interior and exterior ). I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and had that phone and previous galaxy models with my 2013 and never experienced this issue.

Basically my phone connects and disconnects from my car constantly. It happens a lot and i can see it happening, as a reminder thing comes on at the top of the screen every time my phone connects or disconnects from my car.

Looked through settings on my phone and car and can't figure it out. I also deleted the device and repaired it but still is doing the same.

Thanks in advance,
Jesse

Have you tried resetting the bluetooth on your phone and do setup again. should work.
Old 12-05-14, 02:43 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Have you tried resetting the bluetooth on your phone and do setup again. should work.
Yeah that is what I meant to say when I said I deleted the device and repaired it.
Old 12-05-14, 07:28 PM
Gen2IS26
Driver

I've been having this issue since I've had my car as well. I also have a Galaxy S5. I've been meaning to email my contact at the Lexus dealer about. It's worse when it's connected and let's say I'm listening to a radio station or a CD. Literally disconnects/reconnects every 30-45 seconds. It's not as bad as when I'm listening to music that's on my phone for some reason.
Old 12-06-14, 06:02 PM
munangst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem (AT&T Galaxy S5 w/ 4.4.2 and 2015 RX 350). There are some other threads in the forums (e.g., this one) that claim disabling the text message functionality will fix it:
  • unpair your phone (delete from the phone's Bluetooth settings and the car)
  • re-pair
  • after pairing, say "NO" when asked if the car can have access to your messages
Supposedly this will fix the disconnect/reconnect problems, at the cost of losing the ability for the car to read text messages & send replies. I haven't had a chance to try it yet so I can't say whether or not it will work. However, I've grabbed a few bugreports from the phone after it happens, and it seems to usually be in the middle of transferring the text messages when it disconnects.

Others have suggested that you can leave messages enabled if you delete all of your texts, and that the problem is having too many messages to transfer over. This also seems plausible, but folks who have done this report that the problem comes back after a few weeks (perhaps when they accumulate too many texts again).

Finally, one other thread has speculated that the Enform app on the phone is to blame, and uninstalling it will help. I was going to try that first since I'd like the messaging functions if I'm able to keep them..
Old 12-08-14, 11:14 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

I dont even have Enform app on my phone, or have not even gone to it on my car so lets scratch that off the list!
Old 12-08-14, 01:23 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Android a few years back, always had bluetooth/pairing issues with my Acura. Since then, I've jumped to an Iphone. No issues since, even when I bought the Lexus.

I've done some digging around and folks have been having Android to Lexus issues for years. Maybe you might have to make the jump Iphone like I did? Save yourself some pain?
Old 12-08-14, 01:26 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue with the same phone. Try deleting all your txt messages. Worked for me in my 2014 with the Samsung S5.
Old 12-08-14, 04:03 PM
munangst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experimented a bit over the weekend. TL;DR disabling the text message connection (answer "NO" when prompted for access to your messages during the pairing process) worked -- no disconnects so far. Deleting Enform didn't make a difference (tried that first).
Old 12-09-14, 02:11 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by munangst
I experimented a bit over the weekend. TL;DR disabling the text message connection (answer "NO" when prompted for access to your messages during the pairing process) worked -- no disconnects so far. Deleting Enform didn't make a difference (tried that first).
Ok Great, I will do that! i do have a ton of text messages that I don't like to delete so that may in fact be the issue!!
Old 12-09-14, 09:31 PM
Gen2IS26
Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I've had a Samsung Galaxy Android a few years back, always had bluetooth/pairing issues with my Acura. Since then, I've jumped to an Iphone. No issues since, even when I bought the Lexus.

I've done some digging around and folks have been having Android to Lexus issues for years. Maybe you might have to make the jump Iphone like I did? Save yourself some pain?
I've been toying with the idea. Back when I had my 2012 IS250, I had the Iphone 4. It never once disconnected. I disabled the text messages when I first got the GS. So that's been off since the get go. Maybe I can test it with someone's current Iphone.
Old 12-15-14, 02:00 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Ok so a little update. I deleted my phone from car and repaired it, and when the two dialogue boxes came up about connecting to messages, I said No. That did in fact solve the problem. My phone no longer connects and disconnects. So I am not getting the texts through my car anymore but its worth it to me, so just a heads up if anyone has similar issue. I guess I have way too many texts in my phone.
Old 12-15-14, 03:26 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 12-16-14, 08:54 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I was having the same issues with my GS4 a while back. I went to Verizon and Samsung and they could not fix the problem until someone recommended this to me on this very forum and all is well again so try this.

When you have too many texts messages on your phone, not sure what the threshold for too many is, you will see BT connection issues. On my GS4 and Note4, I set the text app to delete old messages when the limit is reached. I set my limit at 300. Since then, I have not had any BT issues and I am getting my texts delivered still. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-14, 08:57 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I was having the same issues with my GS4 a while back. I went to Verizon and Samsung and they could not fix the problem until someone recommended this to me on this very forum and all is well again so try this.

When you have too many texts messages on your phone, not sure what the threshold for too many is, you will see BT connection issues. On my GS4 and Note4, I set the text app to delete old messages when the limit is reached. I set my limit at 300. Since then, I have not had any BT issues and I am getting my texts delivered still. Hope this helps.
I think the ceiling is 50 messages per contact and a total of 300 across the board. So if you have 6 contacts in the messaging app with 50 messages+ each, you're gonna have trouble.

If you guys wanna test the theory, backup your messages then nuke them. Try it again with your car and you'll see an immediate improvement. For me, when I first start my car and it establishes the connection, it will take longer to be "functional" if it has too many messages. It has gotten me in the habit of cleaning up my sms/text message list frequently.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth issues