GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

IPhone IOS vs Android

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 06:05 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default IPhone IOS vs Android

About to purchase a new phone. Comments on which interact with the GS better?

'14 GS AWD w/Lux
Old 12-04-14, 06:35 AM
chenalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess the iphone. i have an android right now, and the interaction is terrible, even though the lexus website says my phone is compatible for every feature.
Old 12-04-14, 07:17 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Works great on my Android GS4 and Note3. Unless you want to take advantage of Siri hands free, I don't think it makes much of a difference.
Old 12-04-14, 07:21 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My iPhone 6 as well as my previous iPhone 4s worked as advertised. No issues whatsoever.
JTMav
Old 12-04-14, 10:17 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I have no issue on my iPhones but on my Samsung Note 3 the music won't start automatically. Everything connects fine though and the phone part works great, it just doesn't play music automatically after I get back to the car like my iPhone does. Same thing with my Galaxy S4 before and now the Note 3 is doing the same thing.

Any ideas?
Old 12-04-14, 11:38 AM
chenalex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I have no issue on my iPhones but on my Samsung Note 3 the music won't start automatically. Everything connects fine though and the phone part works great, it just doesn't play music automatically after I get back to the car like my iPhone does. Same thing with my Galaxy S4 before and now the Note 3 is doing the same thing.

Any ideas?
I have the same problem. Also, when I connect the Enform App Suite to the car, it makes my Bluetooth connection really spotty and drops the connection every few minutes. I asked the dealer and they said to turn off my wifi, but that hasn't solved the issue.
Old 12-04-14, 11:54 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

HTC One M8 owner here. Android works better than IOS, comparing the feature list alone. IOS doesn't allow the head unit to reply to messages, etc. due to its locked nature. Just get the newest and most modern phone in the Android lineup.

However, when it comes to playing music from the phone, IOS devices work better due to the known way they handle and group music. My phone is wacky compared to the tiny iPod I have plugged in via USB. Bluetooth also can be spotty depending on RF interference.

So for full-blown features, Android wins hands down. For predictability at the cost of a limited feature set, IOS.
Old 12-04-14, 01:22 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Great reply Afrosheen. I was about to write something similar but no need to be redundant.
Old 12-04-14, 03:30 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I just want my Android phone to play music automatically.
Old 12-04-14, 04:33 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Poweramp

Use a third party app like poweramp to have it auto play. Mine does flawlessly on my LG G3
Old 12-04-14, 06:23 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
. HTC One M8 owner here. Android works better than IOS, comparing the feature list alone. IOS doesn't allow the head unit to reply to messages, etc. due to its locked nature. Just get the newest and most modern phone in the Android lineup

However, when it comes to playing music from the phone, IOS devices work better due to the known way they handle and group music. My phone is wacky compared to the tiny iPod I have plugged in via USB. Bluetooth also can be spotty depending on RF interference.

So for full-blown features, Android wins hands down. For predictability at the cost of a limited feature set, IOS.
What do you mean by head unit? I care less about playing music and may be interested in the messaging capabilities, but primarily, just use for calls. I currently have an old android which works fine for calls.
Old 12-04-14, 07:21 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Are you really going to pick a phone based on car compatibility? Maybe if you are a travelling salesman and in your car 80% of the time I suppose...
Old 12-04-14, 09:49 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tknx
Are you really going to pick a phone based on car compatibility? Maybe if you are a travelling salesman and in your car 80% of the time I suppose...
There are multiple factors. Right now, Android and IOS are very even, why wouldn't I include the integration with the car? And yes, I have the potential of being in the car quite a bit depending on my consulting engagement.
Old 12-05-14, 03:17 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I just want my Android phone to play music automatically.
My Sony Xperia Z1 Compact plays automatically after BT is connected and my old HTC One S did it too. I am using Google Play Music. When I played MP3 using native Sony app called Walkman it worked fine also. Car starts playing immediatelly using app what was used lastest on phone.

The negative point on Android devices for music is that album booklet isn't shown on car's display.
Old 12-05-14, 10:14 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
What do you mean by head unit? I care less about playing music and may be interested in the messaging capabilities, but primarily, just use for calls. I currently have an old android which works fine for calls.
Head unit is the magic box in the dash that handles all the Bluetooth and music functions as well as navigation and all that business.

Quick Reply: IPhone IOS vs Android