GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Just had an accident last night trunk flooded...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 05:24 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just had an accident last night trunk flooded...

I parked my car yesterday morning at work and it was a little over cast. When i left my office to my car i notice it was raining pretty hard. As i approached my car in the parking lot i noticed my trunk was open. At first i thought someone had pry open my trunk to steal something but after inspection it appeared to have opened on its own. Further inspection revealed water soaked trunk. It was raining really hard and did not have time to check underneath the trunk mat.

After arriving home and parked securely into my garage. I lift up the trunk mat and found the spare tire fully submerged i rain water. I had to manually scoop the water out and took every trunk liner out to dry inside the house. Suprisingly, i did not notice any damage to any electronics that i know off. Do you guys know if there are any risk of water damage to my car if my trunk was submerged?

If this had happend to my last car 2006 LS430 it would have damage to alot of the electronics because there are amplifiers and dvd navigatiyon drives in that cars trunk.

After i finished drying my car i thought to myself how this could have happend and concluded that while key fob was in my pant pocket, i might have accidentally press the trunk open switch. This was strange because i park about more than 1000 feet from my office.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-02-14 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Weird! Must have been pushed in your pants pocket.
Old 12-02-14, 05:47 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang man, that sucks. i was gonna say amps and stuff too, but you should probably be able to see everything thats down there if you already scooped out all the water.

good thing you dont have a hybrid
Old 12-02-14, 05:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I bet you're right about how that happened - by hitting (actually holding down) the key FOB trunk button by mistake and not realizing it... (Maybe your britches are too tight! )

After removing whatever trunk carpet/mat/liner, etc. and wiping dry any/all areas (tire well, nooks & crannies) with a whole bunch of dry towels I would get (rent/buy) at least one sizable dehumidifier and place it inside the trunk to make absolutely sure it dries out totally and completely. Unfortunately it is late fall and headed toward winter, which doesn't help for the weather to aid in drying out things. It will be absolutely essential that your wet/damp trunk carpet/mat/liner completely dry - or mold will form and you will forever smell the odor.

If you have any wood curing kilns in your area for drying lumber (lowering the moisture content in wood/lumber) that would be an ideal place to dry out your mat/liners.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 06:46 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

That sucks, I think your amp should be fine its on the side but I think you could have used the drain plug in the trunk near the spare tire.
Old 12-02-14, 07:12 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sorry to hear about that happening, hope you can get everything sorted out nicely.
Maybe you should look into this a little further, maybe contact Lexus and ask if any complaints about this happening, have not heard anything on forum, but you never know.
I know my remote wont reach reach anywhere near a 1000 ft.
100 - maybe 150ft, if you did hit it, I would think it had to be early on in your walk.
Old 12-02-14, 07:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Two words - Sodium Polyacrylate

Sodium polyacrylate can absorb hundreds of times its weight in water.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-02-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 08:40 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

There should be a time limit for a trunk being operated by the remote to auto close in a certain amount of time.
Thanks all for help. I will try to find a low profile dehumidifier tommorrow.

The amp seems to be fine, all the speakers work and Mark Levinson sounds great as ever.
Old 12-02-14, 08:49 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad to hear there are no problems. i've seen a few people leave their trunks open in the office parking lot, i've just closed them for them...
Old 12-02-14, 08:52 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Two words - Sodium Polyacrylate

Sodium polyacrylate can absorb hundreds of times its weight in water.

Sodium Polyacrylate
Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was: " this would be a great prank with my buddies swimming pool "

Pretty cool never seen this
Old 12-02-14, 08:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U can change the trunk button behavior to double press to open instead of 1 long press. I think double pressing it will avoid accidents like this.
Old 12-02-14, 09:15 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
U can change the trunk button behavior to double press to open instead of 1 long press. I think double pressing it will avoid accidents like this.
This is a good idea. Can this be changed using carista app?
Old 12-02-14, 09:52 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How does your trunk open enough to let water in? When my trunk is opened it simply releases it doesn't jump up like my 2GS used to. My 3GS Hybrid is the same the trunk just unlocks but I have to manually lift the trunk lid to open it which is a pain sometimes when my hands are full. Is there a way to adjust the spring action on the trunk lid?
Old 12-03-14, 12:50 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
This is a good idea. Can this be changed using carista app?
Yes it can!

OP: sorry to hear about your mishap. But luckily it sounds like nothing was actually damaged. Just make sure you soak out all the water to prevent rust on the metal parts and mold on the carpets/mats. Would be a shame on such a new car.
Old 12-03-14, 06:42 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
How does your trunk open enough to let water in? When my trunk is opened it simply releases it doesn't jump up like my 2GS used to. My 3GS Hybrid is the same the trunk just unlocks but I have to manually lift the trunk lid to open it which is a pain sometimes when my hands are full. Is there a way to adjust the spring action on the trunk lid?
I believe the 2014/2015 have a power opening rear trunk.

Quick Reply: Just had an accident last night trunk flooded...