GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?
Hand Wash - DIY
42.11%
Hand Wash - Pay Detailer
13.16%
Automatic - Touchless
23.68%
Automatic Drive-Through - Brush and/or Cloth Mitter Curtain
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?

Old 12-01-14, 05:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Question Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?

How do you keep your GS 350 clean during the colder, less favorable months?

Hand Wash - DIY
Hand Wash - Pay Detailer
Automatic - Touchless Type
Automatic Drive-Through - Brush and/or Cloth Mitter Curtain
Old 12-01-14, 06:01 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

DIY - Coin Operated, Spray only (No Brush, except for the wheels)
Old 12-01-14, 06:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

DIY hand wash - usually fill up the bucket indoors for warm water.
Old 12-01-14, 06:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I baby my car, but after a few days of ice or snow (that's usually all we get in Dallas) I do take it to a car wash to get the sand off the undercarriage. Then I follow it up with a coat of Hard Body. LP doesn't really show scratches so it's pretty easy. I would freak out if I had Obsidian.
Old 12-02-14, 03:14 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

To be honest I use both in winter if its really cold outside I use the touchless wash but if I can handle the cold then I'll do the DIY wash gotta remember if its to cold you could get icing when you wash your car yourself in winter. I do not use a automatic wash I learned my lesson when I got my first car.
Old 12-02-14, 05:57 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted DIY since that is what I do the most during the winter months. I have on occasion done a car wash when it was too cold to was on my own at home. Only touchless (water only) at the self service. The carwash is about a mile from my house. I carry a bucket of warm water and do as quick of a once over as I can. Before the car wash police (owners) can come out to enforce the no bucket rule most car washes employ.If we have a salting/sanding episode, I will run it through a touchless carwash to get to the undercarriage.
Old 12-02-14, 06:30 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I onow a guy he works at the car wash, he does hand wash Only. Always!
Old 12-02-14, 07:02 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I have done DIY only. This will be the first winter where that may change. I'm leasing my GX now, so it's not that I don't care about my car, I just know that in 25 months, I'm getting something new. Plus it is silver, so like @dseag2 said, scratches don't really show up.

All that said, I still have not taken it through an automatic car wash.

I have a utility sink that allows for a hose connection just inside my garage door, so if it's too cold, I can hook the hose up to that and am able to wash/rinse with warm water. Which also helps to melt any ice on the driveway.
Old 12-02-14, 07:43 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I have done DIY only. This will be the first winter where that may change. I'm leasing my GX now, so it's not that I don't care about my car, I just know that in 25 months, I'm getting something new. Plus it is silver, so like @dseag2 said, scratches don't really show up.

All that said, I still have not taken it through an automatic car wash.

I have a utility sink that allows for a hose connection just inside my garage door, so if it's too cold, I can hook the hose up to that and am able to wash/rinse with warm water. Which also helps to melt any ice on the driveway.
Scratches will def show on a silver car trust me I know I saw them when I owned my silver car, the paint is to thin.
Old 12-02-14, 08:36 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Up north, we have to use automatic car washes that dry immediately. If not, your car turns into an ice block.
Old 12-02-14, 08:57 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Scratches may show up on silver eventually...but again, I'm on a 27 month lease...so I don't care. That's the beauty of a lease (and why I went that direction)...it's not technically my car. I will still take care of it and keep it clean, but I'm not spending days of my life trying to perfect the paint like I was on my GS. I've literally lost probably 2 months of my life on trying to keep my paint pristine on a stupid car. I must be out of my mind.

My wife's RX is silver as well, and we've had it for over 4 years now. I can honestly say I don't see the micro-scratches caused from improper washing on her car. Now, on my previous dark blue and red cars...hahaha...it was infuriating.

But yeah, it depends on the weather. If it's continuously below freezing, it makes it hard to DIY. In those situations, you have to find somewhere that can do it for you, by hand, or bite the bullet and run it through the scratch machines.
Old 12-02-14, 09:17 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Scratches may show up on silver eventually...but again, I'm on a 27 month lease...so I don't care. That's the beauty of a lease (and why I went that direction)...it's not technically my car. I will still take care of it and keep it clean, but I'm not spending days of my life trying to perfect the paint like I was on my GS. I've literally lost probably 2 months of my life on trying to keep my paint pristine on a stupid car. I must be out of my mind.

My wife's RX is silver as well, and we've had it for over 4 years now. I can honestly say I don't see the micro-scratches caused from improper washing on her car. Now, on my previous dark blue and red cars...hahaha...it was infuriating.

But yeah, it depends on the weather. If it's continuously below freezing, it makes it hard to DIY. In those situations, you have to find somewhere that can do it for you, by hand, or bite the bullet and run it through the scratch machines.
Lol I agree with you that's not the main reason I went with a lease but I saw it as a better reason to save for a car while the value of my car was still up.
Old 12-02-14, 09:30 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry guys, I live in Southern California.

Old 12-02-14, 09:45 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Sorry guys, I live in Southern California.

Nice GTR!
Old 12-02-14, 09:58 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I always do hand wash. When I'm lazy, weather's cold or the car is not dirty, I follow mR Syd and use this.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:09 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Wash - How do you keep your GS clean during the colder, less favorable months?