GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Purchased ijdm toy led blinker's

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 08:33 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
I just tried to do the passenger side and I couldn't get my hands in there. About to go try the driver's side.

The driver's side you are supposed to access from the wheel well per the owner's manual. You turn the wheel all the way right and there is a small access panel you can remove.
Flack forgot about that!!
Old 12-10-14, 08:47 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I just tested all of the JDM bulbs and resistors again this morning and they're working fine now. But for how long? I don't know and I still think they're wonky. My VLEDS will arrive today anyway so I'll just go straight to install that one and will try to return these JDM one.
Old 12-10-14, 10:59 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know how the process goes mate!
Old 12-10-14, 11:16 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yea for the driver's side just use that little panel on the wheel well, it's way much easier than getting ur hand stuck in the engine bay.

One of my LED module just crapped out on me, sometimes it hyper flash and sometimes it slow flash so I just removed them all and put the stock bulbs back and wait for the VLEDS to get here. This one is real junk alright. lol Hope I won't have any issue with the VLEDS cause that thing costs $200.
That's interesting you should have sent it back in could have been that one bad apple as mine still works perfectly.
Old 12-10-14, 12:00 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just tested all of the JDM bulbs and resistors again this morning and they're working fine now. But for how long? I don't know and I still think they're wonky. My VLEDS will arrive today anyway so I'll just go straight to install that one and will try to return these JDM one.
Make sure you turn the V3 all the way forward so the housing won't block the bulb dome. I even remove the thin tighten ring and just lock the heat dispenser with screw.
Old 12-10-14, 12:16 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
Make sure you turn the V3 all the way forward so the housing won't block the bulb dome. I even remove the thin tighten ring and just lock the heat dispenser with screw.
Is that what the screw is for?
Old 12-10-14, 02:38 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Is that what the screw is for?
The screws are function as radial pins to locking the V3 to the housing. They come with 2 different length size, I use 2 on each bulb. Don't forget to put the rubber washer on will help tighten the bulb to socket and seal from moisture.
Old 12-10-14, 02:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The rubber is the one holding the bulb in place right? No twisting needed right?

I'm gonna install this thing to perfection.
Old 12-10-14, 03:24 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I put in three screws - but it was definitely a pain in the ***. I didn't take much to turn them in and "lock" them, so we will see if they stay in place.

Here is a pic of mine installed - not sure if you can tell, but they barely protrude into the housing. I think they would be brighter if they were further in.

Old 12-10-14, 03:28 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So how do u mount them? Do u turn and lock it like the OEM?
Old 12-10-14, 04:27 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tknx
So I put in three screws - but it was definitely a pain in the ***. I didn't take much to turn them in and "lock" them, so we will see if they stay in place.

Here is a pic of mine installed - not sure if you can tell, but they barely protrude into the housing. I think they would be brighter if they were further in.

U need to remove the small locking ring and turn the bulb further in. The socket of the front kinda deep so it will block the bulb diffuser dome

So how do u mount them? Do u turn and lock it like the OEM?
2 screws would be ideal. Just turn and lock like oem. The rubber gasket won't hold the bulb in place, just to seal the bulb and the socket.
Old 12-10-14, 04:33 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Okay, so the lessons learned are:
  1. Make sure the resisters are inserted (mine weren't by default)
  2. Use 2 screws opposed to each other - don't use 3 like I did - you are just making it harder
  3. The turn to lock is very little (to answer your question)
  4. Do the rears first - a lot easier to do and you can see what you are up against on the front - just electric tape the stuff together and stuff it all in the side
  5. Driver side front - use the access panel in the wheel well
  6. Passenger side - make sure you have small, small hands and you really have to reach in there

In the front I tacked down the ballasts to available spots with double-sided 3M tape - I'll try and include a photo of my ****ty tuck job.

A couple of other random bits - the rear bulbs were clear and my front bulbs were amber (since the rear is a yellow lens and the front is clear).

I think the brightness increase is significant on the rears and not on the front.

Still, overall, a meh upgrade. The amber bulbs in the front aren't noticeable, so you aren't really curing an omelet effect. Maybe if you were removing the reflector (a much bigger project).
Old 12-10-14, 04:35 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Here is how mine sit in the housing.
Attached Thumbnails Purchased ijdm toy led blinker's-img_5901_resize.jpg   Purchased ijdm toy led blinker's-img_5902_resize.jpg   Purchased ijdm toy led blinker's-img_5903_resize.jpg  
Old 12-10-14, 04:38 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before anyone goes in from the wheel well (drivers side) try to pop of the (COVER ONLY) of the fuse box also unscrew the water tube then see if your hand goes in if it does then success if it doesn't then go thru the wheel well.
Old 12-10-14, 04:46 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Those are VLEDS right?

Mine look, at most, to be 5mm past the back of the housing. How far in are yours? Can you actually see the black housing in your reflector?

Quick Reply: Purchased ijdm toy led blinker's