GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The German competition at the SF Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 06:36 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
ROFLMAO! Thats a good one! Hope i dont look like that in my golden years.
Old 11-30-14, 06:47 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would guess Lexus HAD to make the rear armrest real leather because it folds up into the leather seats and any other material would probably be off. The front armrest stands alone so it doesn't have to be an exact match with the front seats (although I can't really tell any difference). It's comfy and it cleans easily, so I'm fine with the fact that it isn't leather.
Old 11-30-14, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
ROFLMAO! Thats a good one! Hope i dont look like that in my golden years.
I'm a year younger than you and I look like that now

Actually a funny story. I was at the carwash yesterday. Now, I've been using the same carwash for years, I pay monthly and I'm there 1-2 times a week with both cars. So...everybody knows me by name pretty much. Its been really cold here, and I was joking with one of the guys about the cold. I told him that I hate cold, and it makes me wonder why I live here.

He asks me "Yeah I bet. Are you still working?"

LOL! Unless I'm like a startup millionaire I would hope I don't look like I could possibly be retired.

Originally Posted by dseag2[/quote
I would guess Lexus HAD to make the rear armrest real leather because it folds up into the leather seats and any other material would probably be off. The front armrest stands alone so it doesn't have to be an exact match with the front seats (although I can't really tell any difference). It's comfy and it cleans easily, so I'm fine with the fact that it isn't leather.
And I think I figured out the single stitch. The trim that runs down either side of the console is single stitched, and the door panels are single stitched. If the driver's armrest were single stitched it would look odd. I assume thats why that armrest is single stitched and the rear one is double stitched.
Old 11-30-14, 07:04 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
What are you trying to say? that i am an old geezer? Lol i am only 35 years old. After that comment i feel old now.
No lol I'm sorry, I'm only 22. So in 8ish (by the time I'm 30 or so) I hope I can drop a bunch of dough to take all my kids different places around the world. I didn't mean anything bad by it.. It's just like a $$ + age goal to me.
Old 11-30-14, 07:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a year younger than you and I look like that now

Actually a funny story. I was at the carwash yesterday. Now, I've been using the same carwash for years, I pay monthly and I'm there 1-2 times a week with both cars. So...everybody knows me by name pretty much. Its been really cold here, and I was joking with one of the guys about the cold. I told him that I hate cold, and it makes me wonder why I live here.

He asks me "Yeah I bet. Are you still working?"

LOL! Unless I'm like a startup millionaire I would hope I don't look like I could possibly be retired.
I'm sure because of the Lexus he was just thinking you were independently wealthy!
Old 11-30-14, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm sure because of the Lexus he was just thinking you were independently wealthy!
Not around here! Guy in front of me had an S63 LOL

Thanks for trying to make me feel better though
Old 11-30-14, 08:05 PM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy that. I've had LOTS of cars with real leather center armrests, including Lexus vehicles, including cheaper Lexus vehicles, and the leather has stood up fine. Its a cost cutting measure, not a question of durability. As for single stitching vs double stitching, double stitching is a sign of quality.

Theres a reason why the LS has leather armrests, leather door panels, and a real leather dash and the GS has imitation leather in these places, and its not because GS owners have pointier elbows

We were talking about the BMW 5, it has a real leather center armrest and real leather door trim on any leather interior. Just saying. Overall I agree, the GS has a better interior but some details still stand out in the BMW.
I might fold on the leather point, but...

Double stitching is for high-wear items like saddles and gun holsters. It isn't a sign of quality, but a sign of expected usage. I am pretty sure, for example, Béatrice Amblard, is fine with single stitching, and nobody is going to say anything besides her stuff is ultra-luxe. When I see double stitching, I immediately think they are worried that they didn't do a good job and need to reinforce it - I certainly don't associate it with luxury.
Old 11-30-14, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you look at the interiors of high end luxury cars, typically all the leather is double stitched. If its single stitched, its often in lower end models. ES leather is single stitched, as it is on the IS and RX, GS is double stitched, LS is double stitched.
Old 11-30-14, 08:22 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The double wide, high(ish) res screen in the GS (and new S Class) is absolutely fantastic. I hope it catches on in other reasonably priced cars.

BMW, Audi and Merc need to get off the "glued on" iPad design element. It looks like an afterthought, but I've read it's by design - they're preparing for a modular design where the car owner snaps in their own device (phone, tablet, etc). I half think it's a lie, though!

Kudos to the Germans for continuing to make big time hp models. Lexus needs to pull it together. The IS F-Sport doesn't even have more power than the non F. The GS is using essentially the same 6 cylinder power plant that debuted in 2007 (and the RX has a detuned version?). The LS is using a V8 from much the same time. If I had my way, there'd be three tiers of power: std, F with uprated hp for a few more bucks and full F for a lot more bucks.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 12-01-14 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 03:22 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
The double wide, high(ish) res screen in the GS (and new S Class) is absolutely fantastic. I hope it catches on in other reasonably priced cars.

BMW, Audi and Merc need to get off the "glued on" iPad design element. It looks like an afterthought, but I've read it's by design - they're preparing for a modular design where the car owner snaps in their own device (phone, tablet, etc). I half think it's a lie, though!

Kudos to the Germans for continuing to make big time hp models. Lexus needs to pull it together. The IS F-Sport doesn't even have more power than the non F. The GS is using essentially the same 6 cylinder power plant that debuted in 2007 (and the RX has a detained version?). The LS is using a V8 much the same time. If I had my way, there'd be three tiers of power: std, F with uprated hp for a few more bucks and full F for a lot more bucks.
Yes in a perfect world there would also be peace and no wars are fought. Everyone got what they wanted and all beautiful women wear bikinis everywhere in public. But unfortunatly we live in the real world and your lexus model engine spec lineup will never happen. And it just a shame since lexus is such a great brand.
Old 12-01-14, 03:59 AM
pacmanmmgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dated

Maybe it's just me but the Audi interior just looks dated compared to the GS. Not saying the Audi is bad but the GS has a more modern luxury feel.
Old 12-01-14, 05:15 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad

Kudos to the Germans for continuing to make big time hp models. Lexus needs to pull it together. The IS F-Sport doesn't even have more power than the non F. The GS is using essentially the same 6 cylinder power plant that debuted in 2007 (and the RX has a detained version?). The LS is using a V8 much the same time. If I had my way, there'd be three tiers of power: std, F with uprated hp for a few more bucks and full F for a lot more bucks.
I could not agree more about the glued on iPads. I did just buy an A7 that has the retractable screen which is better than BMW and Mercedes but still not ideal. The good news is that I have found that there is enough information between the gauges that most of the time I can retract the screen and not need it.
Old 12-01-14, 06:53 AM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F-sport models are pretty much just set up like the M-sport and AMG-sport (soon to come models) that is M-style trimmings with none of the go.

Lexus is trying to position their hybrids as performance models - V8 power with V6 economy. But unless they start winning magazine 0-60 comparisons, people aren't going to buy on that basis. Hybrid=fuel sipper in most people's minds.
Old 12-01-14, 09:18 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Well...this sort of thing seems to be what ya'll wanna talk about...

...so...what do you think of this...interesting gray Audi had on the RS 7 and R8?

At the show I found it pretty...offputting...but the more I look at the pictures the more it grows on me.

Last edited by 5PM; 12-01-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 09:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
...so...what do you think of this...interesting gray Audi had on the RS 7 and R8?

At the show I found it pretty...offputting...but the more I look at the pictures the more it grows on me.
Beautiful car!

Quick Reply: The German competition at the SF Auto Show