Default HKS Supercharger

Interesting find:

Curious about how they tuned it though.

FWIW, 1 kW = 1.34 Hp
Old 11-24-14, 09:12 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

So...about 350 hp and 320 lb/ft...interesting...Lexus, are you paying attention? Haha
Old 11-24-14, 09:35 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is spec'ced for the Toyota Crown, so in theory it should work on our cars. Of course, someone has to pull the trigger and do it.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...arger/db/10313
Old 11-24-14, 09:40 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's not a huge bump in power so I'm pretty sure it would still be pretty reliable.

I wish there was more info like if they stayed with the factory fuel system.
Old 11-24-14, 10:11 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

With that conservative power increase, it it likely stock fuel system. HKS is always very conservative with their S/C kits.
Old 11-24-14, 10:13 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The last supercharger I remember was from Tom's, I think the numbers were the same or close. It was too expensive though, $16,000..
Old 11-24-14, 10:15 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by tknx
It is spec'ced for the Toyota Crown, so in theory it should work on our cars. Of course, someone has to pull the trigger and do it.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...arger/db/10313
OK ... it looks like they are tuning with F-CON iS which is a piggy back ECU. Another item HKS would need to provide would be an interface harness to the 4GS factory ECU.

Of course, mounting hardware would need to be re-designed to make this truly a turn key kit.
Old 11-24-14, 12:25 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Well I sent them a message through their web form - but I suspect I won't get a response.

Seems like it would be reasonably straightforward. I suspect either someone will just do it, or we will see it more once warranties start expiring.
Old 11-24-14, 12:58 PM
jayyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The last supercharger I remember was from Tom's, I think the numbers were the same or close. It was too expensive though, $16,000..
for that price might as well buy a rc motor and stick it in the gs
Old 11-24-14, 01:19 PM
tknx
Pole Position

I think the Tom's was meant for the JDM Mark X, so it would be another "not quite straight" conversion.

The real question to my mind is what is the truth behind the withdrawal of the Apexi supercharger? Was it a flaw in the Apexi or a flaw in the GS350 engine that led to them not going that route. The one person on this forum who had one has been MIA.
Old 11-24-14, 01:22 PM
ThisGSguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should make that for the gs400
Old 11-24-14, 03:21 PM
terrycs
Instructor

I think the Tom's was meant for the JDM Mark X, so it would be another "not quite straight" conversion.

The real question to my mind is what is the truth behind the withdrawal of the Apexi supercharger? Was it a flaw in the Apexi or a flaw in the GS350 engine that led to them not going that route. The one person on this forum who had one has been MIA.
I spoke with Apexi back when they built the SEMA car a few years ago for Clark at VIP AutoSalon. I was told it "wasn't quite right" and output wasn't high enough. The blower has since been removed and that the car is being used for another project.

I don't think the motor blew, most likely not enough interest or resources to fully develop the system at a reasonable cost.
Old 11-25-14, 05:57 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by terrycs
I spoke with Apexi back when they built the SEMA car a few years ago for Clark at VIP AutoSalon. I was told it "wasn't quite right" and output wasn't high enough. The blower has since been removed and that the car is being used for another project.

I don't think the motor blew, most likely not enough interest or resources to fully develop the system at a reasonable cost.
So does that mean it can only be done at the price of 15K like the Tom's?

Maybe because of the high compression there isn't room to go without forged internals, etc?

Again the problem is that there is no answer whether the engine is limited or Apexi's capabilities are. I suspect it is the engine. I am not about to go order an HKS from Japan and stick it on there as a guinea pig, and I suspect most other people feel the same way.
Old 11-26-14, 07:04 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

So does that mean it can only be done at the price of 15K like the Tom's?

Maybe because of the high compression there isn't room to go without forged internals, etc?

Again the problem is that there is no answer whether the engine is limited or Apexi's capabilities are. I suspect it is the engine. I am not about to go order an HKS from Japan and stick it on there as a guinea pig, and I suspect most other people feel the same way.

The Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-s has a compression ratio of 12.5:1. People have been throwing turbo/superchargers on them with great results. The 4GS has a 11.8:1 compression ratio. It's not the compression ratio that's stopping the development.
Old 11-26-14, 07:16 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GregCanada
The Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-s has a compression ratio of 12.5:1. People have been throwing turbo/superchargers on them with great results. The 4GS has a 11.8:1 compression ratio. It's not the compression ratio that's stopping the development.
Yeah something is preventing development. Surely an IS/GS solution for the 2GR-FSE would sell in reasonably numbers. Was it that Apexi just couldn't do it for some reason, or is does the engine have problems (ECU, pistons, whatever)?

That is the part I would love to know from the failed Apexi attempt. If I toss on an HKS supercharger, will I run into the same problems? At this point, I probably would only consider it with a full internals upgrade and at that price, I might as well trade for a GS-F and start tuning it instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HKS Supercharger